• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    this is going to be going on a savage american classic in .270 winchester which will probably get a barrel swap at some point in time to a .260 remington. rifle will be glassed in when it arrives so i am expecting 1moa accuracy out of it.

my wife who is an amateur shooter will be using this rifle to hunt antelope in wyoming, and boar in florida.

will be taking some 600 yard plus shots while plinking, possibly while hunting (depends on the results from plinking)

looking at the trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 mildot. pro's illuminated reticle i think will help the wife but is not a dealbreaker for me. i am very fond of trijicon. resettable turrets allow me to dial if needed. cons limited to 9 power. somewhat short eye relief.

oBHjOt3ds-CitfYxTgDKnByNckcB7LHhTjydvQkAJS3-1KZZJzBeg_AU2_kMbDUNUt6d7kk2pXUim4ZZ0Sww3Zs9yN-uZA0UbI4rhOfnRFTPaBl26xI30Cp5BHiA3YtjIzf4lx2BiovZx4kzKZSBgirkgw

another option is the vortex viper 4-12x40 i like the bdc reticle for simplicity of holdoffs even if the distances are odd distances. there isnt alot of clutter in the reticle. 12 power is a decent top end, and i like the way the power settings are visible w/out loosing cheek weld. this is my cheapest option. cons, i have read in several places that this has a "tunnel" effect although i have not looked through one myself. this is a absolute turn off because i doubt the wife would ever get used to it.

w2kawMCZGIpGiS7szC3YFyO9QgycZR41KNNtSs8rVMKexKpOegGZ45xlpc6vgpZQ05shqcyhRFZKBdpODz4KORS7wk8va2QRxRTrP3sHcUqBPTnzZx0sOiAxdLx4T4x6v18t5XqrpYQsQYM4IpKJFis1IyTUWbDgQ93gULJWQ9gUjo_z1laiy4eGw04khV2afvWDy5GRYbnLmgw

the last option is the busnell elite 6200 2.5-16x42 mildot. although the most expensive this one is at the top of the list at the moment. 4 inches of eye relief and great fields of view will help the wife significantly. 16 power can be used for scanning if needed. mildots for hold offs. resettable turrets can be used do dial if needed i think. i know the accupoint has lines on the turret to mark the number of revolultions, i dont know if the bushnell has this. 30mm tube for plenty of adjustment. the only concern would be how big the reticle is on 16 power if it will wash out the target or not.

!B8PVJfg!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lsEy+jC0NswBM2dN28rQg~~0_35.JPG

this will be a buy once cry once, but the 6200 is towards the top end of my budget. i dont want to go over 42mm objective if possible. i am not opposed to looking at other options, but now that you know where i stand, give me all the feedback you desire.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    id look into a sitron or ziess conquest. they are both roughly 1000 bucks. the 3-9 would be out for me. i like to aim at a certain hair on a animal or the dead center of bull not the edge of bull and 9x doesn't allow me to do that.

also you might look at a used swarovski. there glass clarity is unmatched

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I think you are on the right track with the Bushnell. It gives an excellent range in magnification for all of your stated purposes. The mildot system is well established and useable with practice if their reticle is accurate at the power range they specify for mildot use. You will most likely not have a need for anymore magnification in Wyoming. I used a 4.5-14x Nikon on praire dogs and the 14x was marginal at times with the mirage. The only other options I would recommend would be the Nikons in your power range.

iceman46222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    i have a leupold vx3 6.5-20x40mm efr if your interested,nova512 will be posting for me.im having trouble learning the site lol

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    id look into a sitron or ziess conquest. they are both roughly 1000 bucks. the 3-9 would be out for me. i like to aim at a certain hair on a animal or the dead center of bull not the edge of bull and 9x doesn't allow me to do that.

also you might look at a used swarovski. there glass clarity is unmatched

thousand bucks knocks it out of the running... i can get the trijicon for 575, bushnell for 514, and vortex for 289

i have a leupold vx3 6.5-20x40mm efr if your interested,nova512 will be posting for me.im having trouble learning the site lol

i dont do leupold period. i have my reasons that i will not go into because it would detract from this thread.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you don't do Leupold a 6x FX3 is out. A good ways back from that but in your budget is a Zeiss Conquest. The 3-9x40s can be had for $400. Excellent clarity and resolution, but the ocular end takes up space.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have looked at that bushnell 6200 very hard for my next muzzle loader. I also wouldn't rule out Wotac, a good friend of mine turned me on to them... and just find a reason to not put it on a rifle. It is 4-14 power with both a MOA and a MIL focal plane at different powers. Not to mention target turrets that are about as crisp as they come. This gives you so many ways of doping your rifle you could customize which way would be best for your better half. I wouldn't rule out the Simmons Whitetail Classic Either.

HTH
    RNM

BTW I wouldn't listen too much to what 42793453348vette says, he is now in a different league with glass, and generally doesn't talk to those less worthy like ourselves :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have looked at that bushnell 6200 very hard for my next muzzle loader. I also wouldn't rule out Wotac, a good friend of mine turned me on to them... and just find a reason to not put it on a rifle. It is 4-14 power with both a MOA and a MIL focal plane at different powers. Not to mention target turrets that are about as crisp as they come. This gives you so many ways of doping your rifle you could customize which way would be best for your better half. I wouldn't rule out the Simmons Whitetail Classic Either.

HTH
    RNM

BTW I wouldn't listen too much to what 42793453348vette says, he is now in a different league with glass, and generally doesn't talk to those less worthy like ourselves :D

i thought that bushnell ran 1000 bucks. i thought for a grand there were better scopes out there. diffrent glass league:dunno: its not like i have a uso :D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the USO has spoiled my taste in optics for sure.... and while i like the whitetail classic its a simple multiplex reticle w/ out the ability to dial for elevation, and a 50mm objective so not even an option here.

i hadnt put much thought into the wotac since it has external target turrets. i am trying to keep the look of the rifle a classic hunting rifle look not a tactical look. if we were talking about almost anyone of my other firearms the wotac would be in the top of the running.

ill do some searching on the zeis conquest. but at 9 power and 400 bucks i would rather go w/ the accupoint. plus i believe the conquest does not have dialable turrets.

anybody have a 6200 i can put my hands on?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I like 'nice' optics as well. I have USOs and PRs on a few rifles, but none of them are for hunting. They don't bring enough to the table to justify the size and weight increase.

The 3-9 Conquests have finger turnable turrets. They aren't great for behind the rifle adjustments but they are passable.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ok.. the ziess is out now... the version w/ a parallex adjustment has external turrets. the kind w/ the turrets that i want, doesnt have a parallex adjustment... i dont even understand the point of a scope w/ the exception of rimfires or shotgun scopes that dont have parralex adjustments.... when would you need 20 power and not neet do adjust parrallex???? some manufacturers just dont get it.

leaning VERY heavily towards the 6200 might try and save some do w/ a 4200 though.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New or used? I used a Redfield 6-18 for years on a 25-06 and then on a 22-250. It's been on rifles off and on for 30 years. :)

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    anymore input? one more bump to the top to hear what you peoplz say then this thread will die. i think i am pretty sold on the bushnell as of now. i have a busnell elite 1500 rangefinder and LOVE it. so bushnell has always treated me well.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    The bushnell has good glass. If you can, please take a look at a Sightron Big Sky. Sightron has excellent customer support and top notch glass. I have a few high end Leupold and Burris scopes and the Sightron is hands down the best. I had done a bunch of online research this summer and was looking at scopes at whittaker's gun shop (the mecca for all gun shops!) when I asked the gentlemen his opinion on the several scopes I had in hand (bushnell 4200, leupold vx 3, and a burris fullfield). He kindly told me they are all nice and asked if I had looked through a Sightron? He grabbed me one off the shelf and after looking through the Sightron I was sold. I went home did some more research and ordered a big sky model the next week. Anyways, giv'em a look.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The bushnell has good glass. If you can, please take a look at a Sightron Big Sky. Sightron has excellent customer support and top notch glass. I have a few high end Leupold and Burris scope and the Sightron is hands down the best. I had done a bunch of online research this summer and was looking at scope at whittaker's gun shop (the mecca for all gun shops!) when I asked the gentlemen his opinion on the several scopes I had in hand (bushnell 4200, leupold vx 3, and a burris fullfield). He kindly told me they are all nice and asked if I had looked through a Sightron? He grabbed me one off the shelf and after looking through the Sightron I was sold. I went home did some more research and ordered a big sky model the next week. Anyways, giv'em a look.

do you ever come towards indy from pendleton? would love to look through it.

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    my two cents...Leupold Mark4's are great scopes for the money with target turrets and plenty of reticle options...I know Zeiss has great glass ,but i've not heard about their scopes and how they dial or how long they last on such a high punch rifle. I currently have a Nightforce on our 7mrm(I know out of price range, but maybe save up some cash for 6mo's and buy a way better scope), but I strongly go with the saying "Buy once and complain once" which refers to the buy a high priced high quality reliable scope and complain once with the price, but enjoy a great product, precision, accuracy, repeatability, and durability forever. Whatever you buy make sure you include a great set of rings and a great mount to really make your rifle system solid. l have a Bushnell on my .17 Savage HMR and its my squirrel/crow/predator sniper rifle. I'm not worried about the recoil from that rifle messing up my internal adjustments or moving at all in my rings or base. Have fun shopping and whatever you buy I'd try to think about long term...like in the future if you wanted to take that scope off that rifle and onto another one which scope would you pick? Also how long will the scope last or is projected to last? Does it have a warranty? Hope this is helpful...if not disregard!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my two cents...Leupold Mark4's are great scopes for the money with target turrets and plenty of reticle options...I know Zeiss has great glass ,but i've not heard about their scopes and how they dial or how long they last on such a high punch rifle. I currently have a Nightforce on our 7mrm(I know out of price range, but maybe save up some cash for 6mo's and buy a way better scope), but I strongly go with the saying "Buy once and complain once" which refers to the buy a high priced high quality reliable scope and complain once with the price, but enjoy a great product, precision, accuracy, repeatability, and durability forever. Whatever you buy make sure you include a great set of rings and a great mount to really make your rifle system solid. l have a Bushnell on my .17 Savage HMR and its my squirrel/crow/predator sniper rifle. I'm not worried about the recoil from that rifle messing up my internal adjustments or moving at all in my rings or base. Have fun shopping and whatever you buy I'd try to think about long term...like in the future if you wanted to take that scope off that rifle and onto another one which scope would you pick? Also how long will the scope last or is projected to last? Does it have a warranty? Hope this is helpful...if not disregard!

read above i dont do leupold.

you dont have to tell me about buy once cry once, i live by that motto and it pays dividends everytime i am on the range. there is something called the rule of diminishing return. i believe over 1k in optics and you are paying for luxeries not a better scope. sure the NF and USOs are better i own a 2700 dollar USO and its nice, BUT i paid for clear target resolution and TRUE adjustment values and FFP. all of the scopes i listed will give me the same service as and optic twice or three times as expensive, i just have to put a tad more time in on them to use them.... i do agree with you on one point though and thats quality rings and bases are just as important as quality rifle and scope. but low cost does not mean low quality. i use some rings that run less than 70 dollars that i would have no problems putting my USO into.

and for the last time i dont do leupold... period. please stop reccomending them.

Top Bottom