• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Anyone ever refinish a hardwood floor before? Have roughly 110-115 square feet that needs sanded and then stained and finished with a clear coat. Its a small room with a closet that is to be the nursery later this summer. First contractor I had out quoted $500 which is roughly $4.35 a square foot and a lot more than I was wanting to spend or think it should cost per square foot. Having never operated a sander and not wanting to damage the existing wood I'd rather contract it to someone who does this often vs renting a sander and doing it myself. Anyone have any recommendations for who I should get a quote from? The first quote was from Locke Hardwood. I'm located in Broad Ripple and if the work is going to be done need to get it completed in the next month before the crib and other furniture for the nursery comes in. Our little one is due Aug 1st so is quickly coming up. Any input on what I should expect to pay per foot would help as well. I know its a small room just for one job but for now is the only room I can get done.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Resand/finish?.......@ lil' over 4 bux a ft.......I'd run with it....:):

with'a labor.....cost o' the finish, an' sand'n media/disc's.....whutever.....don' sound bad....
    Re-finish'll run upward o' 6 bux a ft down here....an' they wanna SEE it first....

I install'd, sand'd.....finish'd my own......cuzzz.....could'a never afford' whut I did otherwise.......:):

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Do you absolutely have to take off that fraction of an inch of the surface or does it just need a sanding to buff out the surface scratches?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Do you absolutely have to take off that fraction of an inch of the surface or does it just need a sanding to buff out the surface scratches?

Prolly ain' aim'd @ me.......but I'a answer it anyways........:):

:dunno:......D'pends on the wear on it......if ain' TOO bad, can use a buffer, an' scuff it, an' do a re-coat.....2 day deal(2 coats clear)

If NOT......then ya got'a sand back down ta bare wood, re-stain, 2 clears.....day in b'tween coats,so....:dunno:.....3 ta 3-1/2 days.....I'd allow 4...

Mines been down 12 yrs...an' I don' baby it,neither....it beyond a re-coat.....:rolleyes:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Prolly ain' aim'd @ me.......but I'a answer it anyways........:):

:dunno:......D'pends on the wear on it......if ain' TOO bad, can use a buffer, an' scuff it, an' do a re-coat.....2 day deal(2 coats clear)

If NOT......then ya got'a sand back down ta bare wood, re-stain, 2 clears.....day in b'tween coats,so....:dunno:.....3 ta 3-1/2 days.....I'd allow 4...

Mines been down 12 yrs...an' I don' baby it,neither....it beyond a re-coat.....:rolleyes:
    I've refinished a floor or two in my time, I know when it needs a new surface or just a sanding. The question is does the OP? Perhaps he just needs to clean it up, which means he can easily do it himself with little risk of damage or bungling the job.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure it needs to be sanded. Couple spots where a cat pissed on it and is now a different shade than the rest. It's a pretty old floor and it doesn't look like it's been given much attention before we moved in.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's like a lot of other things; in the mind of the beholder. I used to live in a big old farm house with a really cool very old hardwood floor. Some would have wanted to refinish it, but we decided just to give it a face-lift so to speak. We went over it with a scrubber and a cleaner (I think Murphy's) and a finish that just looked like an oil. I thought it was really nice when we were done, but that's me. Some folks prefer a shiny new looking floor that you can see your face in. Depends on what you like.

My in-laws had their old floor re-finished and I think they paid about the same price the OP was quoted. It turned out really nice too.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If your in good shape and somewhat competent and can watch a YouTube video or two then you can do it yourself. It's really more labor than brains! But it's hard ****ing work. Hot, dusty, dirty, messy, hot, hard work!! But you'll have a sense of accomplishment and save a little money.
    The price you were quoted is a very good price actually. If you have the money id recommend hiring them. If your money is tight then watch some videos and if you feel comfortable then do it yourself. Take into account also that you will need to factor in the cost of extra sand belts (drum sander), or sand disks for an orbital. Also you will need a special sander to get up against the walls and corners plus the paper for it. Then you'll need stain and Polly and a special wool brush to spread your Polly and you need to bag it up to keep it wet between letting about 3 to 6 layers dry. And sanding in between each layer.

hire the dudes! It's a ****ing mess!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    If your in good shape and somewhat competent and can watch a YouTube video or two then you can do it yourself. It's really more labor than brains! But it's hard ****ing work. Hot, dusty, dirty, messy, hot, hard work!! But you'll have a sense of accomplishment and save a little money.
    The price you were quoted is a very good price actually. If you have the money id recommend hiring them. If your money is tight then watch some videos and if you feel comfortable then do it yourself. Take into account also that you will need to factor in the cost of extra sand belts (drum sander), or sand disks for an orbital. Also you will need a special sander to get up against the walls and corners plus the paper for it. Then you'll need stain and Polly and a special wool brush to spread your Polly and you need to bag it up to keep it wet between letting about 3 to 6 layers dry. And sanding in between each layer.

hire the dudes! It's a ****ing mess!

'Less it really scored/tore-up bad......he should'n need the drum-sander......orbital'll do it......
    http://assets.newmediaretailer.com/53000/53294/web_floor_sander_ezv.jpg

http://www.227rent.com/media/catalo...6e5fb8d27136e95/o/r/oribital_floor_sander.jpg

an' no 'edger' need'd.......:yesway:

Far's the other.....:):.....lil' bit work/time involved but......it ain't 'AT bad.....:):
    (but I'm 'round it all'a time......an' done my share of'em, include'n my own....)

Interpon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    That cat **** spot, could be a problem, even after sanding. Not a bad price imo. If doing it yourself maybe..just maybe for a room that small a good da sander and time if money is tight. A fan in the window and have at it. After renting a big sander you will still need an edger and costs rise. 3 coats of poly and enjoy your work, a pain but satisfying..just dont sand too deep or gouge it.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    That cat **** spot, could be a problem, even after sanding. Not a bad price imo. If doing it yourself maybe..just maybe for a room that small a good da sander and time if money is tight. A fan in the window and have at it. After renting a big sander you will still need an edger and costs rise. 3 coats of poly and enjoy your work, a pain but satisfying..just dont sand too deep or gouge it.

Beg ta differ.......not if he rents the right orbital........done more 1.....more'n......dozen......

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Just one more reason that I've never really been a cat person. Dog **** cleans right up, but cat **** is like acid alien blood, eats right through.

:rolleyes:......Long's they don't......hit'a same spot fer any length time......trus'me.....:):......like was say'n up a few....mine, needs a re-finish.....like, NOW....:):
    (an' few boards replaced, I'd 'magine....)

Top Bottom