• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    AZ Does not require a license or permit at all, so long as you lawfully possess the gun.

There have been many answers suggested, but none, I think, better than the OP's actual response. Well done. "Have a good day" and walking away left her nothing on which to hang her hat, so to speak. A smart-ass remark, a "crazy" ("the lettuce can HEAR us!") response, or a loud vocal one such as "STOP TOUCHING ME" would only add fuel to her mistaken impression of us. Imagine the post she'd have made over on Daily Kos or Huffington Post about confronting the big, bad gun owner. With this as described, she can spin it to say that he just had no answer at all or she can lie and say he "sputtered off" or even that he loudly berated her (hey, I said she was lying...), but she could not escape the fact that he proved himself a level-headed individual. She just failed to admit to herself that she already knew that, else she'd never have confronted him.

@IamaClone45: "I'm not with the police department": Might I suggest, "I'm not with the local police, no Ma'am." with a little smile. If you need to elaborate for some reason, "I'm responsible for the safety of someone very important." Of course, that person is yourself. I think that tends to legitimize her apparent belief that only those employed to provide protection should be armed.

I also like the response, "You are welcome to your opinion", but that is in no way better than just "Have a good day." Again, OP: Well done.

Blessings,
    Bill

Allow me to suggest a modification to "You are welcome to your opinion" ?

"You are welcome to your opinion thanks to the 1st Amendment, just as I am welcome to carry this firearm under the 2nd. Have a good day!"

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    So, how old was this little old lady? My grandmother feels similar to this because when she was growing up and mid life crime was not an issue and Police presence was no where near what it is now. It wasn't required. She doesn't fear for her life due to the fact that she doesn't fully realize what is on the news is all around here, she refuses to believe that because everyone is a good person. Is it possible that this grocery store granny feels similar and that the only BGs are in the BIG CITIES? Possible.
    So, to the OP-good job handling it. Maybe she was hitting on u, though.:oldwise:

Drako

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Lawrence
    "I'm responsible for the safety of someone very important." Of course, that person is yourself.

Like this one....gonna keep that in the back of my brain. Thanks!

but I am rarely clever or original until about 60 seconds after it is too late.

This happens to me ALL the time!

Allow me to suggest a modification to "You are welcome to your opinion" ?

"You are welcome to your opinion thanks to the 1st Amendment, just as I am welcome to carry this firearm under the 2nd. Have a good day!"

Another that will be noted in my mind :D

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "What are you afraid of?"

1. Tyranny
    2. Penises. Actually, naked men in general.
    3. Running out of bourbon.
    4. Fat women in minivans talking on their cellphones.
    5. The general lack of reverence in my country for natural rights.
    6. Busybodies in grocery stores.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    "Why do you carry a gun?"

1. Because, as I go about my day there may come a moment when I need to shoot someone. If I don't have a gun, it will be very difficult to do so.
    2. Because the World is just a little bit safer when I'm armed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Similar situation for me today, at Bargersville checking out the junk, er, merchandise at one booth, my shirt pulls up enough to partially expose my covered 24/7 in .45. The early teen kid tending the booth with his dad matter of factly asks; is that a .40 or .45? I'd rather hang out with that kid than your sheep woman!!

+1 for the kid!!

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    well done, although i've CC'd and still been asked why i was carrying.. i tend to ignore those asking the question. because it's really none of their business.
    But i CC because i don't want ANYONE knowing i have a gun, until/unless it's needed..

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    That probably wouldn't have made a difference.

Actually I think it did make a difference...to a degree.

Who was the guy who came running out of the grocery store? A guy with a gun. Did he have to use it? No. But his MINDSET allowed him to run toward the sound of gun fire. What he saw as he exited allowed him the decision to jump the guy without using his gun.

So I do believe a gun DID make a difference in that situation.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    "What are you afraid of?"

1. Tyranny
    2. Penises. Actually, naked men in general.
    3. Running out of bourbon.
    4. Fat women in minivans talking on their cellphones.
    5. The general lack of reverence in my country for natural rights.
    6. Busybodies in grocery stores.

:laugh: Naked fat men in their minivans talking on their cellphones are quite scary too!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I probably would have let out a big sigh, shook my head as if to say "you poor pitiful woman", and just turned away to go about my business. I wouldn't have said a word.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Just a "FWIW" sort of point in a form of a rhetorical question (like we're on Jeopardy or something) but, isn't the phrase (when referring to the police) "To serve and protect" found to be invalid (on both counts) by the Supreme Court some time ago? That is to say, while a police officer may have the good intention to serve and/or protect, they are not bound to do so.

I bring this up because I have a hunch that the general public believe that the police exist primarily to serve and protect them at any and all times. Such a mind-set is quite dangerous, certainly when an officer is not around "Who will save us" but, even more when in the presence of an officer who fails to serve or protect (for one reason or another) an innocent victim "Why didn't you save them?"

With all due respect to police officers (and, for that matter, the general public), I carry not because an officer is too heavy, but because, even if one was around, he or she is not bound to assure my safety and or survival. I carry not because I expect something bad to happen. Rather, in spite of how fantastic life can be (and usually is), it really only takes one irrational person doing one irrational act to make someone's day go from fantastic to unimaginably horrible. Don't believe me? Watch the evening news once in a while.

To the original poster ...you did well. :yesway:

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Technically, isn't that "battery" ?????

I stand corrected, well done sir!

IC 35-42-2-1
    Battery
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally touches another person in a rude, insolent, or angry manner commits battery, a Class B misdemeanor. However, the offense is:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom