Has anyone ever attended a bartending school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I have been checking out the Bartending school in Cincinnati. I always wanted to bartend but just never took the steps. I am the type if I am gonna do something I want to do it the right way. I think with the experience that the school would give me would be easier to get a job. Rather than having to start out as a very low paid barback and have to work my way up. Just like to hear if anyone had gone to a bartending school and what their thoughts on it was.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    A friend of mine did a bartending school. Still had to pay his dues serving a few months before getting behind the bar.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Yeah I mean I know I cant expect to jump right into it but it would give me a better chance. Did he like the school? And does he still like bartending?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I was a bartender for YEARS, and if you want the honest truth, the class won’t do you much good other than being a better bartender at your parties at home.

I got trained in bar tending at a Damon’s and then at a TGIFridays. Even if you show up at a place with your “bartender school” diploma, most places just snicker at those.

For restaurants, you have to put in time as a server first. For most bars, they want some ACTUAL experience.

You CAN get SOME bar tending jobs for special events and parties through the school, but it’s not really that easy.

Not trying to be a downer, just sharing because I have YEARS of bar tending experience, and I know how it works.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I was a bartender for YEARS, and if you want the honest truth, the class won’t do you much good other than being a better bartender at your parties at home.

I got trained in bar tending at a Damon’s and then at a TGIFridays. Even if you show up at a place with your “bartender school” diploma, most places just snicker at those.

For restaurants, you have to put in time as a server first. For most bars, they want some ACTUAL experience.

You CAN get SOME bar tending jobs for special events and parties through the school, but it’s not really that easy.

Not trying to be a downer, just sharing because I have YEARS of bar tending experience, and I know how it works.

That was my buddy's experience as well.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    My wife and I have talked about doing this. We don't necessarily want to do anything with it, except get our license. Just something to do together really.

You can get your permit to serve alcohol without the school, just go down to the state building in downtown Indy (not the capitol building, the one just west of it) and there is an office that will give you the paperwork and you pay and they mail it to you.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    My wife and I have talked about doing this. We don't necessarily want to do anything with it, except get our license. Just something to do together really.
    Well if you live in Indiana
    http://www.in.gov/atc/files/EmployeePermit_3_1-5-10.pdf
    print this, send it in with a money order for $45 IIRC and youll have it within 30 days.

There is no such thing as bartending school in Indiana, other than for vanity purposes

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County

I don't know why places would snicker? Cause I see that at having some experience on how to make different kinds of drinks. I think that'd be better than having to wait on a new bartender look through a book on how to make something. Like I said though I didn't expect to just jump right into it though it would be nice.

Do you still bartend?

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Managed and bartended in bars around 17 years, we always got a laugh out of the ones who would come in right after finishing bartending school looking for a job. My advice is go to the state building get your permit, pay your dues as a barback. You will have to work your way up through the ranks any way, so save the money you would have spent on the school. You will learn mo barbacking than you would've in the school any way. At most nightclubs/bars barbacks make almost as much as the bartenders, some nights more. Just my two cents.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know why places would snicker? Cause I see that at having some experience on how to make different kinds of drinks. I think that'd be better than having to wait on a new bartender look through a book on how to make something. Like I said though I didn't expect to just jump right into it though it would be nice.

Do you still bartend?

Every one we tried out on a busy night forgot how to make most of the drinks, so the would be looking through the book any way.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    Managed and bartended in bars around 17 years, we always got a laugh out of the ones who would come in right after finishing bartending school looking for a job. My advice is go to the state building get your permit, pay your dues as a barback. You will have to work your way up through the ranks any way, so save the money you would have spent on the school. You will learn mo barbacking than you would've in the school any way. At most nightclubs/bars barbacks make almost as much as the bartenders, some nights more. Just my two cents.

Yeah that makes sense. I have a full-time job right now. So I am only looking to do it part-time and hopefully to make the switch once I see if I'll be making around the same amount of money.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN

Do you still bartend?

They laugh because bartender college is NOTHING like a busy night of slinging drinks in a bar.

The first time you get put “In the weeds” (or so busy you can’t keep up) it’s a completely different experience than anything you will ever learn in a classroom and it’s REALLY stressful.

When you’ve worked in the restaurant/bar business for a while, usually starting as a server, you kind of get a feel for the place, and won’t get flustered as easy. That’s kind of the reason.

Bartending LOOKS easy, but it’s really pretty difficult. You MUST be able to multi-task. Talk to guests while making beverages for them, as WELL as the cocktail servers/ floor servers, and keeping the bar top clean.

I still tend bar once in a while for a friend who owns the Sanctuary in Zionsville, I occasionally will do a wedding or special event for her there.

My advice, just start memorizing some of the common drinks, and know how to make them. Also practice “free pouring” and learn how to pour a certain amount just by counting.

Top Bottom