Has anyone tried using Alliant Promo in handgun rounds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I use RedDot in all my target handgun rounds and am down to 2 lbs which will be gone when I load up all the empty brass. Last night I ordered 8lbs of Alliant Promo. Alliant says that you can use the RedDot loading tables for Promo. Promo is supposed to have the same burn speed as RedDot but is slightly denser so powder measures will have to be adjusted to throw the same charge weight. I would have liked to try just a pound of Promo but LGS don't seem to have it and the hazmat fee makes ordering a pound too expensive. Even though this is just for plinking loads I'm curious what results any others have had with Promo.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I bought a jug awhile back. I, too, was nervous about buying an 8lb jug of an unknown powder. I have loaded it in a few different pistol rounds, including .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp. In chronographing my loads, it seems to run 5-10% faster then an equal weight of Red Dot, which is good; that allows me to drop my loads and save even more money!! The only issues I've had with it cycling semi autos has been playing with light loads for my suppressed 9mm's.

I've been a Red Dot and Bullseye fan for years and am glad to have found Promo. It's a real bargain for those willing to do a little experimentation.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I bought a jug awhile back. I, too, was nervous about buying an 8lb jug of an unknown powder. I have loaded it in a few different pistol rounds, including .38 special, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp. In chronographing my loads, it seems to run 5-10% faster then an equal weight of Red Dot, which is good; that allows me to drop my loads and save even more money!! The only issues I've had with it cycling semi autos has been playing with light loads for my suppressed 9mm's.

I've been a Red Dot and Bullseye fan for years and am glad to have found Promo. It's a real bargain for those willing to do a little experimentation.

Thanks, that is just the kind of info I was hoping to read.

Top Bottom