Has the S&W M&P handgun become less popular?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The M&P 2.0 compact is a very nice stock gun. One that I would recommend. but right now most of the handguns I show people are Sigs, CZ or Glock.

The Shield which was the crown jewel of people’s CCW fleet does not even get a second glance. P365 and Glock 43/48 get all the attention. The exception is the Shield 380EZ. That is a fantastic gun aimed at a specific market and we sell a boatload of them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The M&P 2.0 compact is a very nice stock gun. One that I would recommend. but right now most of the handguns I show people are Sigs, CZ or Glock.

The Shield which was the crown jewel of people’s CCW fleet does not even get a second glance. P365 and Glock 43/48 get all the attention. The exception is the Shield 380EZ. That is a fantastic gun aimed at a specific market and we sell a boatload of them.

My sister-in-law has a 380EZ. She really likes it.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    This is weird, but sometimes the student becomes the teacher. My son recently picked up a PC Shield in 9mm during a Cabelas "flash sale" for a crazy good price (first gen, not the Gen 2). I think polymer striker-fired guns are an abomination... but now I have one too! I can't believe how nicely this thing shoots. And honestly, the M&P line is as close as a polymer has ever come to feeling like a CZ (my favorite moniker) in my hands. Say what you want about the whole ported gimmick with the PC line, but this little guy is an absolute pleasure to shoot, silly little recoil for a skinny plastic runt, has a pretty nice trigger, and is now my summer carry option.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Are you seeing any issues with people's P365's and the striker drag anymore? A shield 2.0 is my daily driver, but I'd be happy to pick up a P365 for those extra rounds, but I don't want to give up any reliability for them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Are you seeing any issues with people's P365's and the striker drag anymore? A shield 2.0 is my daily driver, but I'd be happy to pick up a P365 for those extra rounds, but I don't want to give up any reliability for them.

I have not seen any complaints other then what I see on the internet. But to be fair most people shoot their guns very little if it all.

I also don’t subscribe to chasing nirvana in carry guns any longer. The P365 is a nice gun and extra rounds is always a good thing, but I don’t see any reason to trade in my original Walther PPS for one. The old PPS has worked fine and no reason for me to believe it won’t continue to do so. If were buying a new handgun for concealed carry the P365 would be on my radar.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wait, I thought the main advantage of the 2.0 was not having to upgrade the trigger? I've never fondled one, are they "better but still not great"?

The Apex trigger in my old Shield 9mm 1.0 was nicer than my old Shield 45 2.0 Performance Center trigger.

Last edited:

Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I have seen more of the M&P 2.0's with the 5" barrels than any other iteration. It is hard to beat them on price for the kit you get. I'll always love my S&W revolvers!

HEADKNOCKER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2017
    Clarksville
    I've been looking for a pistol for my twin brother, he wanted a Colt 1991-A1 but after showing him the $850 price tag He wants something else.
    Back when we both bought Colt 45s they where $300ea.. 1-2 decades ago..
    Anyhow it looks like in the next week or so we'll be out looking at a few different pistols/revolvers..
    From what I've seen it looks like the S&W M&P Shield in 9/40 is gonna come out on top, They have em local for $249 & up..
    There's also the Glock 43 with it's price of $319..
    JFYI I have a Glock 26 Gen 4

And yes the S&W M&P Shields do seem to have become more available = Pawn Shop up the street has three of them in 9 & 40..
    Was hoping to find a nice priced J/K frame S&W for him.. You can't go wrong with a revolver if it's quality..

Top Bottom