• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    Yesterday I went to pick up a new Charter Arms 38 at my local gunsmith after he ordered it for me from Accusport. So long story short the gun had gobs of dirt in all the cylinders some as large as a grapenut. A line from the cylinder being spun. A bunch of wear at the bottom of the cylinder stop along the frame with a quarter inch horizonal scratch going out from that spot.

The gunsmith tried to say the gun was only "test fired". I refused to complete the purchase saying it was used, and at the very least damaged in some fashion. It wasn't my first new gun purchase and I had never seen one that was worn that much.

Is his story logical?? Could the factory have sent a gun like that like he tried to suggest?? I wasn't buying it and we had a bit of a falling out over it.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Never happened to me. But.... a friend of mine ordered Sig piston ar 15 and he got it all scratched up. Ended up spending quite a bit of time with Sig on the phone but they made it right and gave him a brand new rifle

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Whatever the problem with the product was....your very best leverage was at the point of sale. And you did exactly the right thing...you REFUSED the transaction. That puts the entire burden of the problem on the retailer and the manufacturer. Let THEM sort it out....but not on your dime. Good call.:)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    After I refused to complete the purchase he got ahold of Charter Arms and they agreed to drop ship a new one out to him sometime next week. He wanted me to come back down and pay for the weapon ahead of time. He said he needed the money for some personal business. To his credit he quoted me a price and when they raised the wholesale price on him he didn't charge me the extra because we were friends. I told him I didn't want to give him money ahead of time based on the fact the last "new" charter looked literally terrible, and i didn't want to be forced to accept something I wasn't pleased with. I also told him I didn't like the fact he tried to forcearm me into purchasing the other gun when it clearly wasn't what we ordered just so he could complete his purchase. This is when the dookie hit the fan between us. Was I wrong to not go ahead and pay him ahead of time?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Elkhart, IN
    He is primarily a gunsmith and does lots of repair work. He also buys and sells and will order a new gun wholesale plus a very reasonable fee for his regular customers. He basically told me to never come back after I told him how I felt. I thought that was a huge mistake since now he is still out the money for the gun and has no chance in Hell I'm coming back in to complete the purchase after that. I mearly replied "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best". What do you think the odds are I will ever contact him again, or go back?? I used to recommend him to all my family and friends too.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Where are you located? We might know some gun shops and smiths who would be happy to have your business and treat you well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    After I refused to complete the purchase he got ahold of Charter Arms and they agreed to drop ship a new one out to him sometime next week. He wanted me to come back down and pay for the weapon ahead of time. He said he needed the money for some personal business. To his credit he quoted me a price and when they raised the wholesale price on him he didn't charge me the extra because we were friends. I told him I didn't want to give him money ahead of time based on the fact the last "new" charter looked literally terrible, and i didn't want to be forced to accept something I wasn't pleased with. I also told him I didn't like the fact he tried to forcearm me into purchasing the other gun when it clearly wasn't what we ordered just so he could complete his purchase. This is when the dookie hit the fan between us. Was I wrong to not go ahead and pay him ahead of time?

You did the right thing.
    His "personal business" is not your financial burden.
    You're the customer and if you aren't happy with the product, you should either;
    1. not be forced into the sale...or
    2. have written documentation that if you are unhappy with a product you paid money down on, you will receive a FULL refund...without a restock fee

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I would say that you made a wise decision and it's his loss of business.

I am sure that there are planty of other retailers that would love to sell you a gun and be happy to have your business, as well as keeping business to business and their personal finances out of it.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Strange.................something doesn't smell right. Gee, was he even a good gunsmith? I'd just like to know the town or even a general location, then I could figure it out.

You did the right thing. If he's been in the business for awhile, he's got some type of relationship with his distributors and even manufacturers, and he's not going to lose a dime on the missed sale.

I can't believe he presented something so awful to you to begin with.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas

Friendship is a 2 way street, if he's not worried about it then walk away.

Reading your initial post, I don't see where he tried to forcearm you in to purchasing it (at least from what you typed). I've come across some really dirty new guns before, and have given the dealer the option of cleaning it for me to inspect. Depending on where Accusport got the gun (could it have been stock from another store), the gun could be new but handled by a lot of people. I've been in a store where a guy stood at the counter, pulled partially back on the hammer and spun the cylinder like a doofus. Needless to say the guy behind the counter almost reached over and punched the guy in the face. So you could have a new gun that has been mishandled. I still wouldn't want it, but it could explain the situation.

If this guy is a friend, and someone I trusted, I might give the money up front.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    "He basically told me to never come back after I told him how I felt. I thought that was a huge mistake since now he is still out the money for the gun and has no chance in Hell I'm coming back in to complete the purchase after that. I mearly replied "I'm sorry you feel that way. I wish you the best"."

WELL, he responded poorly and told you to never come back, and you replied as a gentleman should. The onus is on him. No worries for you.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    You absolutely did the right thing. You would also be doing the right thing in sharing info with the other INGO members so no else has a bead experience with him.

Dave

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Getting a new gun is supposed to be a good experience, sucks when something messes that up. I agree, you did the right thing. It is too bad your relationship with the gunsmith went south, but I don't blame you one bit for how you handled it.

Top Bottom