Has your wife ever caught you with a gun she didn't know you had...?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My wife doesn't have a clue as to what is in my gun safe, so it's a safe bet that she will see me with one that she didn't know I have.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Has anyone else ever been caught by your wife (or husband) with a firearm they didn't know you purchased??

I'll tell my story, so a year or so ago I was wanting to pick up a nice plinker, something that would be both fun, and cheap to take out and shoot. After doing a great deal of research and looking at several different guns I decided to go with the Ruger SR22 with Crimson Trace Laser, which I just so happen to love! So I get the gun home, get everything set-up and put the gun in my bed-side dresser (my wife never goes in there), I put the box in my other dresser below a few pairs of pants. The box and gun stay in place (aside from range time) unnoticed for several months, in early November I had to go out of town for work, while rushing around to pack for my trip (because I always wait til the last minute to pack) I had moved a pair of pants that were covering the Ruger box in my dresser and forgot to put them back...

Fast forward through the weekend and I'm back home, the wife had decided to get caught up on some laundry while I was gone. We're standing in the kitchen talking and my wife said, "did you see that I did some of your laundry, folded it and put it away for you?", I said "thank you baby, you didn't have to do that", she said, "I don't mind, you were busy working all weekend and I wanted to make sure you had clean work clothes for work Monday".

I thanked her again and started walking out of the kitchen, when she said, "hey, I saw that box in your dresser!" I said, "what box?"

She said, "the gun box, did you buy a new gun again?"

Well, given the fact that we were so close to Christmas I figured instead of arguing about it, I would make her feel bad about accidentally finding her "Christmas Present" :D so I said "really? I can't believe you ruined your Christmas surprise?", she said "you got that for me?", I said "well yea, I knew that you had been talking about wanting to get your first gun and I wanted to surprise you!"....

She said "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin the surprise"...

Needless to say, I did actually plan on that particular gun being one for her to shoot, I just didn't plan on her finding it like that!

So, anyone else have a similar story? Let's hear it.
    yup, i just buy her something and usually don't have to sleep on the couch ;)

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Me "I'm buying a new Smith&Wesson M&P."
    Her "okay. $550 that's not bad... "
    Her "what's this for $350?"
    Me "my M&P"
    Her "I thought you bought it already"
    Me "I did, I sent the slide to be milled"
    Her "okay? "
    A few weeks later...
    Her "what's this for $550?"
    Me "my M&P"
    Her "you bought another one?"
    Me "no, I bought a Trijicon RMR to go on my M&P. That's why I had the millwork done on the slide. "
    Her "I'm so confused."
    Her "what's this for $125?"
    Me "my M&P."
    Her "what now?"
    Me "Apex kit for my M&P."
    Her "are you done?"
    Me "almost"
    Her "$175. Let me guess, M&P?"
    Me "Yup, exo coating on the slide"
    Her "are you done, now? "
    Me "yeah, but I'm thinking about getting another one and doing the same set up as a back up."
    Her "****"

My wife just said this is our house lol!

Momof6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Wayne County, IN
    As long as he lets me shoot it, I don't care what he has. Besides, he makes the money. As long as the bills are paid, it's his business what he spends his money on. Anything I make on my side job (transcription) I can spend however I want as well. We work well together. :rockwoot:

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Ya my wife is cool with me getting new guns as long as I have enough for the necessary things haha

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I would rather not have a new gun than to buy it without telling her. Deceiving her would be much worse than buying a gun she thinks I don't need. Went to the 1500 today and came close to buying a S&W revolver. Never entered my mind buy it on the sly. I feel sorry for the people that feel they have to do that. She isn't exactly thrilled with all of my purchases, for sure, but she would be so disappointed in me if I lied to her.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    I would rather not have a new gun than to buy it without telling her. Deceiving her would be much worse than buying a gun she thinks I don't need. Went to the 1500 today and came close to buying a S&W revolver. Never entered my mind buy it on the sly. I feel sorry for the people that feel they have to do that. She isn't exactly thrilled with all of my purchases, for sure, but she would be so disappointed in me if I lied to her.

I've been happily married for 17 years and with her for 22 years...My high school sweetheart...and I can tell you that I don't have any real secrets from her, but I don't always tell her every single thing I do either. I'm sure that works both ways as I never hear how much the shopping trips cost. :ar15:

Napalmx9

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Bluffton
    My mom apparently caught on pretty quick when she asked my dad when he had got a new gun, he said he always traded for it, it didn't take long for her to figure out he was trading with cash.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne

I totally agree with you. I would never do what the OP did. No offense to anyone who would but I have more respect for her than to lie and/or deceive her.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I bring her with me, and we pick out guns together... I did one time come home with a gun that I didn't get 'permission' for... Let's just say I didn't enjoy the next couple of weeks, but I did show it to her as soon as I got home (I was excited!) lol.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    My wife and I have a budget, and out of that comes the amount of money we can do whatever we want with. I get a set amount and so does she.

So no reason to not tell her what I have.

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    me and my wife buy stuff alot. we mention before we buy just in case the other was planning on some other purchase. however when i was working at my old shop and was seeing the matco,snap on, cornwell guys regularly she chose not to know what i was buying so long as my payment stayed the same lol. now that my box is in the garage til my next job offer she saw how many tools i have. lmao. she wasnt pissed but more flabbergasted haha. right now she knows i am looking at buying a few guns but like her im waiting for the right price. she wants a pink lcp or xds 9mm lol

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    Not yet, there is one in the safe she doesn't know about, I was going to tell her I picked it up at this show but... I will let her know pretty quick, really I will...

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    She used to care but she lately she hasn't. She used to make fun of me for pointing my guns and making boom noises. Until I caught her doing it

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I had a situation where I could purchase an AR for a good price and jumped on it without consulting the wife. This happened about a week ago. I told her the next day and she kind of freaked, but after a few hours she said it was probably a good purchase longterm with the current world views on them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My wife has noticed once in a while, but with all of the guns being either a 1911 or CZ, she assumed it was one we had around but refinished or someothing. But, when I got the Glock, she did take notice. We've had good natured debates with friends about Glock vs 1911 and she knew which side of the lines our family fell, so when she saw the Glock, it was the one time she recognized a new gun.

Top Bottom