• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    On my way home from work today I was exiting from US 20 onto County Road 17 in Elkhart. I started to make the turn, but had to go from a rolling stop to a complete stop because another car came out of no where. No big deal, there wasnt anyone following to close behind me. About 2 seconds later, BAM! My car was rear-ended. He never attempted to stop, and I had been completely stopped for a couple seconds.

We get out to look at the damage. The guy gets a nervous look in his eye when I step out of my car OCing. His car was pretty much untouched. He approaches (I watched him cautiously) and looks at it and states that mine isnt that bad. He then says "I wanna be up front witch-you, I dont got insurance right now". I replied "Well, sorry, but you are F*****. I have to report this".

He begs, offers me cash (he had none, but insisted that someone could bring me cash, lots of it, in 5 minutes). I continue to look at the damage. Its still not bad, so I am trying to figure out just how much he intends to pay me, and if that would cover the damage, deflation, and his "idiot tax". I realize the frame is bent a little, so its no dice. I tell him I am reporting it. He insists he can hammer that right now. No way!

When I got out of my phone to call the police, he went from begging to anger. He was smacking his car, swearing, etc. I stepped back behind my car (not in it, it was hot, the battery is in the trunk and got jarred and wouldnt start). I kept a firing grip on it the entire time, he was that upset. I was especially worried when he started digging in his car and came back with a small knife and a screw driver. Turns out he was just fiddling with his damage. I call dispatch, explain what happened, and I note "Please advice the responding officer that I am legally carrying a firearm". Dispatcher said she would.

Twenty minutes later, Officer Ahlersmeyer with the Elkhart Sheriff's Department shows up. He takes no notice to me or my OC and talks with the other guy first. When he comes to talk to me, I hold out my drivers license, and my LTCH. He replied "Thanks, dont need this" and hands my LTCH back. He said nothing about my pistol, so I fetched my registration.

The story pretty much ends here. He handled it as if it was any other accident, and it made no difference that I was carrying. He didnt attempt to verify my LTCH, run numbers on my pistol, ask me to put it in my car, unload it, sweep a school bus with the barrel, nothing. It sat in my holster where it belonged. Very professional, and a great encounter. I will be writing a letter praising him, and if anyone else feels this was a good turn out, send one mentioning you heard about this and you thought he did a good job. Good officers need praise just as much as bad officers need to be reported.

Well, I am off. If something doesnt seem quite right, let me know and I will correct errors next time I am in. I am posting on Ambian right now, so.... Oh, keep it civil. I want this not to be locked by the time I read it. Mods, can you help this happen? Thanks all!

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Glad to hear that you had a good encounter with this LEO...seems like you made it much easier by making him aware of that you were OCing. The focus, as it should be, is on the guy that wasn't legal, i.e., the one without insurance. As much as I understand that the cost of insurance can be relatively high, the fact that he failed to abide by the law and drive uninsured causes me no sorrow for his misfortune...he brought it on himself.

Good job in keeping your cool, advising the police that you were OCing and letting them do their job. Also a tip of the hat to this LEO...he kept everything in perspective and zeroed in on the real problem rather than turning it into something else.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sounds like both you and the deputy handled the situation well.

:yesway:

It's frustrating as hell to be hit by an uninsured motorist... Hope your car repairs go smoothly.
    You may take some [very small] satisfaction out of knowing that he is now facing an automatic 90 day license suspension and $150 reinstatement fee (on top of having to show documented proof of insurance for reinstatement). I know it's not much concession, but it's somethin'...

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Great to hear! Sorry about your accident. I was rear ended a few weeks ago as well luckily she had insurance!

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    Good to hear the story and that the officer was so professional too bad it does not always go down like that. Good job telling dispatch that you were ocing that made the differance

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So... you didn't shoot the guy that didn't have insurance... he came at you with a screwdriver and a pocket knife after exhibiting anger and you didn't shoot him.... wow.

:D just kidding. Glad to hear the deputy acted so well.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    :+1:

Hope you get your car fixed!

Thanks all! As for the car, I am torn between wanting it totaled, and wanting it fixed. I was going to sell it at the end of the year anyways, but Im sure I wont get as much for it if I total it out. On the other hand, fixing it will be expensive, and will devalue the car significantly. I cant win.

As for drivers without insurance, about two months ago my parents were hit by an undocumented immigrant with no insurance. Its a crappy situation. Our insurance company helped them as best they could, but we still got stuck with $1,000 in hospital bills (my sister wound up with a broken wrist) and pennies on the dollar for the car. I sure hope mine goes much better than that.

jbrubaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    Yay for stories that are a few miles from me!

Boo for broken cars and poor drivers (both in the quality of their wheelman-ship as well as their financial resources to pay for insurance).

Good write up. Sounds like Ahlersmeyer has his head on straight.

I actually know some Ahlersmeyers from the area. Wonder if they are the same...

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I think we should all make up some INGO cards we can hand out to good police officers so they can get on here.

I like good polices just as much as I dislike bad police. It would be nice to chat with the good ones!

Dukshead

Marksman
    Rating - 90.5%
    19   2   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Southport
    Sounds like a very positive encounter, at least with the officer. Good luck with the car. Like the idea of INGO cards to give out to other officers. I do my part in spreading the word but every little bit would help.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    Good encounter! However, why do you want to praise his actions when he did exactly what he was supposed to do?

IMO, I would definitely write the Department but emphasize that he did the correct thing. Don't make it seem like he went above and beyond the call of duty in resolving the situation.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Good encounter! However, why do you want to praise his actions when he did exactly what he was supposed to do?

IMO, I would definitely write the Department but emphasize that he did the correct thing. Don't make it seem like he went above and beyond the call of duty in resolving the situation.
    thats what i was thinking. its a sad state of affairs when we have to make a big deal out of a cop doing what they should. encounters like this should be the norm. but these days it is very rare that encounters go this way.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Good point/question on should this LEO be "praised" for doing it right.

I say heck yeah! I'm ignorant on the particulars on LEO promotions, etc.; however I do know I'd want this LEO training and or leading other LEOs and if a letter or email can help that along then that's a win.

Top Bottom