have a backup plan (Centennial Bridge shooting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Shooter, all good points. We make a point of making sure everyone gets a few pops in the head during classes (wearing head gear of course). For many it is a real wake up call. Towards the end of my LE career I was getting more and more trainees who had never played any contact sports or ever been in a fight. The academy is about checking boxes not training and it takes a while to get these kids accustomed to the chaos of the street and violence against others much less contemplating somebody attacking them.- George

DarkLight

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Thorntown
    Thoughts from a trainer friend of mine:

Hind sight is always 20-20, but some lessons for the good guys are:

1. When the bad guy had the hand rail between himself and the badguy was he more or less safe from the charging attack? Could the good guy have proned him out on the other side of the barricade and then effected the arrest?

2. Anticipate that the bad guy may not comply with verbal commands. Any of you level 3 or 4 guys have already seen this in role playing. Jeff and I don't give you non-compliance scenarios just to make it hard on you. The bad guy knows his background and intentions. The good guys do not. Know and preplan what you will do if he doesn't comply.

3. Notice the pre-assaultive behavior of the bad guy? Closing distance, looking over his shoulder, turning sideways to make a smaller target, you can see the wheels turning in the ****'s head.

4. Note the awareness of the off duty cop. He sees the approaching responding officers and makes sure he has his gun put away so that he doesn't get shot by other responding cops. His positioning is really quite good.

5. The patrol officer doesn't give up once the attack starts. Mindset is everything.

6. When using the taser if you only get one probe in the bad guy, use the touch stun to complete the circuit. Taser disablements are directly proportional to the muscle mass between the probes. Had the good guy used the taser in touch stun it would have likely taken him down.

This clip should be required viewing for all the good guys out there.

Wow Shooter, those are some awesome points/tips! Are there any classes in the near future that cover these types of scenarios for non LE personnel?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Wow Shooter, those are some awesome points/tips! Are there any classes in the near future that cover these types of scenarios for non LE personnel?

Check the INGO Tactics & Training forum.

I know mercop focuses quite a bit on FoF issues. Shay has just started a FoF training company called MindsetLab. DPG also does some scenario training I believe.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Shooter, all good points. We make a point of making sure everyone gets a few pops in the head during classes (wearing head gear of course). For many it is a real wake up call. Towards the end of my LE career I was getting more and more trainees who had never played any contact sports or ever been in a fight.

This is the first statement I have casually noticed that has some insight into a particularly curious stat that I've often wondered about.

What percentage of LEOs as a whole played HS Football vs percentage of any other particular occupation?

You sound as if you're (are or were) surprised that fewer had contact sport background. I read that to primarily in USA be FOOTBALL. Along with a few others minor ones, of course. But it does seem to me that the US LEO take on things would prefer physical attributes over a good deal of other proficiencies.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    That is called a bad day at work right there. Glad it worked out for the officer. To the guy (POS) that was shot/killed-Sucks to be you...bet you won't do that anymore. Seriously the guy was IMO showing some big time classic indicators that he was not going to cooperate,or he was going to attack or run. Notice he continued to close the gap between himself and the officer. He looked around. He stalled. A attack waiting to happen IMO. I believe I owe my own life today to the instructors at ILEA who teach them, not once but twice for myself. I think the officer did a good job. He won. He went home. He did not overreact or panic and I think he kept his senses.

Tasers-the big problem with them is they need a little distance to get a decent probe spread. Like one of the posters said, if the officer could have had the chance and drove stunned the POS, he would have more than likely folded on the spot being one probe connected. He probably didn't have a chance or have time. Believe me when I say it, you will not fight through a proper Taser hit.

Also glad the detective didn't take a round from pass (Over penetration) through (If any did) Something to think about.

One last though- The article reads the POS took the first round through the heart and lung. It goes to show that a person still has some go left in them even after a heart shot. Luckily this POS didn't want anymore. Scary stuff IMO.

Valuable stuff to be learned from this incident. One less POS in the world that none of us will ever have to deal with. May his flames be hot, burn long and last forever!!

jstwrit

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    May 11, 2009
    N.E.
    Scary...What a video! I'm glad the LEO went home and not the BG. Really good thoughts on many of the posts. What a great site.:yesway:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Update - one of the guys on the list where I got the previously-posted video and comments actually contacted Det. Weakley to offer his thanks and support.

Speaking of good guys, I wanted to share a brief blessing this morning.

The phone rang early this morn (that's usually not a good thing on a Monday morning). On the other end was an unexpected return phone call from Detective Jim Weakley who came to the aid of Officer Cliff Anderson on the Centennial Bridge that day. What a surprise! Yep, the same guy!

After I read the original e-mail and watched the dash-cam video last Friday, my heart was moved by the courage and decision to help of Detective Weakley. He deserved a word of encouragement and recognition.

As mentioned earlier, I was moved by his quick, decisive movement...even so to the point that I knew I had to call Detective Weakley to be an "encourager". I ended up reaching his voice-mail, and took the moment to thank him for his bravery and courage to make the right decision.

At 11:19:42, Detective Weakley enters the dash-cam picture, not knowing what the situation was. Twelve seconds later, the first shot rang out, followed by a second one, two seconds later, both from Officer Anderson's Glock .40.

One other thing I would share, having watched this now from a couple of different perspectives. Detective Jim Weakley was a true professional in every aspect AFTER the shooting.

1) He assured the officer that he was another police officer during the scuffle (off-camera).
    2) He identified himself again to Officer Anderson while he was keeping his weapon pointed toward the subject on the ground.
    3) Detective Weakley kept his weapon out until other officers arrived at the scene, then quickly holstered his own.
    4) He tried to assure Officer Anderson with compassion while kneeling over the victim.
    5) He attended to Officer Anderson's medical needs on the side of the rail after the incident, calmly asking him first to holster his weapon.
    6) He continued to look after Officer Anderson's needs.
    7) He searched for the missing taser that Officer Anderson had lost.
    8) He was quiet, rather than babbling needlessly.

The characteristics were the same as the man I met on the phone today for the first time. He was not boastful. He was easy going and quiet. He was grateful that someone would call and say, "Thank you. You did a good job."

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    This video is a scary wake up call. Illustrates how you can not afford to let a threat cross over the threshold of getting to close before you take necessary action.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Another update:

Det. Jim Weakley, who came to Officer Anderson's aid in the Centennial Bridge incident, has joined the Email list where I first saw the dashcam footage. He has offered the following narrative. I also let him know about this thread, and invited him to join us here at INGO.

Some of you asked about the details surrounding the bridge shooting. I know if I was not involved in the incident, I would be interested in knowing the details myself. Please note I'm still having some memory issues and cannot remember certain details of the event. I recently watched the second video, taken from a Metro bus, which shows the incident in its entirety. Not the best film and might explain why the media did not air it. That video helped fill in the blanks of certain smaller details for me. I apologize for the length of this correspondence ahead of time.

It was a late Friday morning and it was my first week back from a vacation. I was trying to get a bunch of last minutes items finished up at work before the weekend started. My wife had an item, which I needed later that afternoon. We decided to meet for lunch, which we do a couple times a month. Normally we meet at a restaurant in Rock Island. I was running late, trying to finish up a couple last minute phone calls before lunch. Of course I had a million things on my mind and knew I was going to keep my wife waiting by herself. I was on autopilot and drove to the restaurant in Rock Island. Once I arrived, I remembered the restaurant had been closed for a couple months. I was now even more late and had driven too far. We planned to meet at a place in Davenport. Upset with myself, knowing I now have to take the Centennial Bridge when the I-74 Bridge would have been much closer. Looking back now, I should not have been on the Centennial Bridge that day and can't help wonder about God's will.

I notice an unmarked Davenport squad pull a "U" turn on the bridge on the Rock Island side heading back towards Davenport. A few minutes pass and I drive through the two stoplights and onto the bridge. Fighting traffic, I notice the same squad I observed just moments earlier seemed to be on a traffic stop and I merge lanes (farthest left lane). Once finished with my merge, I notice the officer is not on a traffic stop but a subject check with a large male black. I slow down to make sure everything was fine. It was at this time I notice the officer pointing a firearm or taser at the bad guy who happens to be in an aggressive stance. I also noted the officer was alone with the bad guy. I then see the light glistening off the taser wires as I slam on my brakes. At this point I witness the bad guy lunge towards the officer with a clenched fist.

As I exit my unmarked squad I can hear the ticking of the taser. I assume the officer and bad guy are located on the side of the officer's squad car since they are no longer in my sight. At that point is when you see me on the dash camera. I was shocked to find the officer pinned between the guardrail and his squad car unable to move on this back. I noticed a large amount of blood on the officers face and I was unsure if he was conscious
    since I witnessed little to no movement from him. Due to the injuries, I figured the officer and bad guy had been fighting before the taser was fired and I was a little late to the fight. Later I learned, when watching the video, I happened to pull up at the very start of the altercation. I've never seen an officer in such bad shape in such a short amount of time in my career. The bad guy was punching him in the face with everything he had and at a very fast speed. I knew I had little time to react and feared the bad guy was going to take the officer's firearm. I started pulling the bad guys shirt initially because I had nothing else to grab in a short amount of time. The shirt started to rip so I grabbed his upper body and started to pull the bad guy off with negative results. None of my actions slowed the bad guy. He was on a mission and briefly looked over his shoulder at me like, "You are not going to stop me". It's hard to describe all of this on a written format.

I heard someone yell out, "I'm gonna shoot you" and at that moment I had no idea who said it and who had the gun. I can't remember if I was punching the bad guy in the back of his head with certainty. I do remember feeling panicked since I was unable to disable the bad guy. The bad guy seemed big to me and later I learned he had about sixty pounds on me plus an inch or two in height. I remember thinking I had two choices left: Choke the bad guy out or shoot him in the back and hope the officer's vest would stop the bullet if it traveled through. Before I had a chance to choke out the bad guy I heard the first shot below me. I immediately jumped off the suspect’s back and drew my weapon, hoping and praying the officer shot the bad guy and not the other scenario. I could physically feel the shots.

I feared the officer was unconscious during the shooting and I just observed a cop execution from the bad guy. My worst fears were comforted initially when the bad guy got up and would then comply with my orders to get on the ground. I did not see a firearm in his hands but was not able to see any gunshot wounds since he was wearing a dark colored shirt. Officer Anderson did not get up but laid on the ground motionless. You can hear me on the video identifying myself as a police officer and checking the status of Officer Anderson as I covered the bad guy. Out of the corner of my eye I was shocked to see Officer Anderson start to get off the ground.

I was relieved when I witnessed the bad guy take his last breath. Not because I'm heartless, but because he was no longer a threat and our lives were secure at that point. I observed a dark colored object off in the distance running up the bridge and initially feared it was another bad guy joining in on the fight. I again was relieved when I noticed it was a fellow officer. Once the motorbike officer pulled up I holstered my weapon to be sure I was not a threat to them. It should be noted I had never met the officer nor the bad guy until that fateful day on the bridge. I feel lucky the bad guy was 6'3" around 290 lbs. Both bullets stopped at his back, which saved me from injury. I heard but not confirmed, one bullet went through the lung and heart. The other bullet went through his spleen. As you can see in the video the bad guy did not die instantly.

For those of you wondering, I did call my supervisor first to notify him of the
    incident, which is policy. I then called my wife to reassure her I was fine and not to wait for me any longer. A sobering incident that again reminds me how fast life can change. Because of this incident I will forever be changed myself. I’m just glad all the good guys went home to their families that night.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom