Have a security camera? Police want to know!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you think?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    When they visit me in person with a specific request I will consider granting that request based on it's individual merit. As far as voluntarily adding my name or business to a roster of who to harass (both police and defense) It won't happen.

So what if I did join the roster? If I refuse to provide the requested tape I'm subpoenaed. If I erase the tape before the subpoena will I be charged with impeding an investigation? Seems simple, stay off the list, stay out of trouble.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've had a password protected network camera for several years that allows me to see my backyard from anywhere.
    I'm not giving access to it to the government!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've had a password protected network camera for several years that allows me to see my backyard from anywhere.

I fully agree with your sentiment on this but if the gov't wanted access to your video that's on a network, I guarantee they would already have it. If you can access it from anywhere, so can the gov't and any number of other unscrupulous people or organizations.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    After an article that's mostly yeah, rah, registry, there's a nice veiled threat at the end.

South Bend Police say they're hoping camera owners will volunteer to be added to the list, but note that some cities require it by law.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I won't even put mine on IP. It's all manual from camera to CD/DVD. Oh, and learn the difference between idea and ideal. That's one of my grammar peeves. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Originally Posted by edporch I've had a password protected network camera for several years that allows me to see my backyard from anywhere.

I fully agree with your sentiment on this but if the gov't wanted access to your video that's on a network, I guarantee they would already have it. If you can access it from anywhere, so can the gov't and any number of other unscrupulous people or organizations.

That may be true, but there's been no sign of anybody except me ever accessing it or even attempting to access it.
    I have an OpenBSD UNIX based firewall/router I built that I've programmed the Packet Filter and would know.

If unauthorized access ever becomes a problem in the future, I'm confident that using OpenBSD I can make a secure solution that will make unauthorized access very difficult.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Nerp.
    Not a chance.

And...

South Bend Police say they're hoping camera owners will volunteer to be added to the list, but note that some cities require it by law.
    The time my city required it by law, would be about the same time something horribly damaging would happen to my obviously visible cameras. .oO(ohh, nooo...it Godzirra!!)
    (I may keep footage of that. You know... to turn over and start the search for Godzirra.)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nerp.
    Not a chance.

And...

The time my city required it by law, would be about the same time something horribly damaging would happen to my obviously visible cameras. .oO(ohh, nooo...it Godzirra!!)
    (I may keep footage of that. You know... to turn over and start the search for Godzirra.)
    You just like to keep pushing the boundaries, don't you?

Top Bottom