• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've been trying to find IN rifle specific laws, and everything brings up handguns and carry.
    Can anyone direct me to IN rifle specific laws?
    I appreciate any help, and TIA.

1. "rifle specific laws"? We have none. You can find hunting regs (calibers, carrying on ATV, goofy stuff that is in hunting regs) in 14, is this what you want to know?

2. Everything brings up handguns as that is what Indiana chose to regulate in 1934. Under the Uniform Firearms Act that was being shopped around there were various templates being passed around the states to combat "gangsterism". Having a license to own any gun. Having a license to own a handgun. Having license to carry any gun. Having license to carry a handgun. "Gangsterism" stopped with the end of Prohibition.

Indiana chose to go with a license to carry a handgun only and rejected other templates. A long gun is not a handgun (cf. Estep and Milla Jovovich) thus no license is needed to carry a long gun.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When a long gun is a handgun=>https://law.justia.com/cases/indiana/court-of-appeals/1999/09299911-rhs.html

39MgMvfQDmRaLuIdtgHmewSCt11MovedNwQmI5QBxR_XI8HFHI-Wi1W8U3DydaD5AQEjmbL1lHhlxwJxZpM8cYBLTGnsfqX7gURzIA_OZ8gFOS6Q5tUWBHeDcCLQlEeznnYRNQ49cg5NyOGPJqTIGwJah_UFDKQ1

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thank you!
    One would think that gun owners and enthusiasts, would get the facts, and not spread incorrect information.
    I'm glad I asked, and got the correct information.

Thanks to all for your input.

In the gun culture asking about the law is like asking teen age boys about sex, they are very enthused but no one seems to know anything about the subject.

You will get:

1. Completely made up laws.

2. Half and almost correct laws.

3. The laws of other states, (Freeman First Law of the Internet is applicable here).

4. What people THINK the law should be. (Another story: I was at a gun club just north of Lafayette and a guy in a cancered out SUV was apparently taking a self guided tour at my club during some sort of match (CAS IIRC). I was loading mags waiting for the gun games to finish and I heard his address his family that "because of my felony convictions, I can't have a handgun but I can still buy rifles and shotguns". The law is an excuse, a rationalization for his behavior).

In gun shops false information is used as a fence, an excuse, not to act. I tell the story of me attempting to buy an HK93 at a now defunct gun shop on the westside of Indianapolis. I walked in to buy a HK93 on the shelf (I pointed to it). I was told "them thar gunz is HIGHLY illegal" and I could be arrested just for asking to buy one.

The bloated piece of s**t did not want stop talking about bass fishing, and get off his stool and sell me the gun. I bought the HK93 at another shop. However, the point is that the law in the gun culture is used as a excuse for lots of inactions.

Last edited:

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    You can't find something that doesn't exist.

Indiana code has a whole section on how weapons are regulated. Rifles aren't really mentioned, therefore you can pretty much exercise your library as you see fit.

it still doesn't have rifle specific information.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I actually had this discussion.

Lady: "Jesus was born on December 25th."

Me: There is no evidence to say that is true."

Lady: "It is in the Bible."

Me: The Bible does not give Jesus' birth date."

Lady: "Show me that in the Bible."

Me: "I cannot show you what is not there."

Lady: "Ha! That proves I'm right."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I actually had this discussion.

Lady: "Jesus was born on December 25th."

Me: There is no evidence to say that is true."

Lady: "It is in the Bible."

Me: The Bible does not give Jesus' birth date."

Lady: "Show me that in the Bible."

Me: "I cannot show you what is not there."

Lady: "Ha! That proves I'm right."

Just start shouting in tongues and slap her on the forehead - "DEMONS OUT!!"

Top Bottom