• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I think the 41 MAG is the perfect round when it comes to POWER & RECOIL. It kick a little more than a 357 MAG. but gives you almost the power as a 44 MAG. But new guns are rare & ammo is very expensive when you do find it. I have the twins, two SMITH & WESSON 657 41 MAG with 3 inch barrel, these gun are very accurate & rare, but now I will retire them & just shoot my SMITH & WESSON 629 44 MAG POWER PORT cause ammo is cheaper:(:(

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Would have happened to the 10mm too if Glock hadn't saved it. That and as much as I hate to say it, the .40s&w also "saved" the 10mm. My reasoning is that because the tooling for brass is similar and the bullets and other components can be used for both, this meant that when Glock brought out the G20 and kept producing it, the components were still around.

The .41mag suffers from a triple whammy. The lack of new guns, the unusual bullet size, and the fact that autoloaders dominate the market now. It's too bad that marketing is often more responsible for success or failure of something like the .41, it really is a great round for its purpose.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Would have happened to the 10mm too if Glock hadn't saved it. That and as much as I hate to say it, the .40s&w also "saved" the 10mm. My reasoning is that because the tooling for brass is similar and the bullets and other components can be used for both, this meant that when Glock brought out the G20 and kept producing it, the components were still around.

The .41mag suffers from a triple whammy. The lack of new guns, the unusual bullet size, and the fact that autoloaders dominate the market now. It's too bad that marketing is often more responsible for success or failure of something like the .41, it really is a great round for its purpose.

I don't think RUGER is making 41 MAG BLACKHAWK anymore, SMITH & WESSON will make a small batch of 41 MAG every once in a while, but why buy it if ammo is more than a 44 MAG. I do have a DILLON 550, so I'll always have a way to make ammo;)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look at it this way, gun, for a serious gun nut having an obscure caliber is the mark of distinction.;)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go clean my rifles in 6.5X55 and 6.5X284.:D

back40hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I have an old model Blackhawk in .41 mag and it is one of my favorites. I really enjoy shooting it, but I agree ammo is harder to find. It is a deer tamer.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I used to have both a Blackhawk and Redhawk in .41, but traded both for .44's years ago. I actually prefered the .41 caliber, but what did it in for me was such a small selection of bullet weights to load.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I would love to have a 41 but have not bought one just because it seems they are not common enough.

Felt that way about the 300 whisper until now they came out with the 300 blackout.
    Now i wish I still had mine :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I have a few boxes of 41mag ammo and its cheaper then the 44mag ammo I sell.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I commonly see boxes of 50 of .41 mag go for $63, what type of .44 mag ammo do you have?

I'm in fear of the .41 dying too. I love mine, but reloading is the only way.

I think it's better than the .44 mag, but the .44 mag had Dirty Harry to publicize it. Wait.... that's what the .41 needs, a movie where the good guy goes into detail the true power and advantage of the .41!!! :D:rockwoot:

broknaxl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    I picked up a Marlin 1894FG .41 mag just a couple of weeks ago. I haven't shot it yet, I had shoulder surgery and the Doc said it would a year to a year and half before it will completely heal. I missed deer season last year and this year isn't looking to good. I've got a buddy that may be putting a S&W 657 .41mag with an 8in barrel up for sale soon. He's been out of work and is reluctently selling off some of his stuff.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    "Reloading is the only way." So true for many great calibers. It's ironic that so many people will probably never come to appreciate how great the .41 Rem. is because of how bad the marketing sucks and the greediness when they price the small quantity produced. I have reloaded this cartidge since 1987 and it IS the best handgun cartridge I have found.

Top Bottom