"Have you been treated for...an emotional or mental illness?" Delaying permit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Hey all,

A handful of days ago, I left my local Sheriff's office to drop off the local portion of payment for a Lifetime Personal Protection LTCH. While I don't anticipate there will be any problems, I was obligated to answer "Yes" to the question in the title above. The full question, for those of you who don't remember, follows:

Have you ever been treated for psychiatric health care or an emotional or mental illness?
    For the past couple of years, I've been seeing a psychologist for anxiety and stress related to academics. College is hard, yo. I've heard hearsay that answering yes to this question slows down or even outright invalidates the application, even with documentation and letters of recommendation (which I provided). Does anyone have any first-hand experience?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My brother in law went through in-patient treatment for severe depression twice. He didn't have any issues getting his LTCH.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    You will probably have to get a letter from your pshrink stating that there's nothing wrong with you that would preclude you from owning and carrying a firearm. You may even be denied initially and have to appeal, with the docs letters. We've seen this one before here.

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    You will probably have to get a letter from your pshrink stating that there's nothing wrong with you that would preclude you from owning and carrying a firearm. You may even be denied initially and have to appeal, with the docs letters. We've seen this one before here.

Way ahead of you on the first bit. Actually hand delivered it since it was in the same building I got my inkless done. Not afraid to appeal.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    You should be fine. I know of someone who was in the same position as you, and it did take her about 10 months to get her LTCH. But that was during the great wait period.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Ya should be fine, and appear to have correctly addressed the issue preemptively. Not sure college is THAT hard, 'yo'! :laugh:

And if you need to appeal, just go in on the scheduled date and shout at the top of your voice, "I have the RIGHT!"
    :lmfao:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My ex answered that question in the affirmative. Sigh.

She had to produce letters from her healthcare professional stating she was no threat. The doctor was anti firearm, anti personal self defense, but she grudgingly gave her a letter.

My ex got her LCTH, but it took about a year.

Last edited:

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Just a small follow-up should anyone be curious about this in the future:

I was approved. My license was issued within 6 days of completing my local payment, and I received it 2 days after that, for a total 8 day wait. During my last session with my counselor, I asked her to write me the letter of recommendation. She consulted the APA and wrote a VERY basic letter, stating how long she'd seen me, the type of care (counseling only, non-medicinal) provided, and that there was no data to indicated I should be excluded from the right to own a gun (she didn't get the nuances of carrying vs. owning, but she didn't need to). In addition to that letter, I wrote my own cover letter briefly explaining what the enclosed document was and the reason for my seeking counseling.

What I think really expedited the process was doing this: One of the Morphotrust INkless fingerprinting locations is in the ISP Headquarters downtown. This is also the same building as the Staff Attorney for the Firearms Licensing Division. When I went to my fingerprinting appointment, I walked down the hall and hand-delivered my letter of recc to the secretary for the division, making sure it was addressed to the Staff Attorney and referencing the application number on both the envelope and the cover letter.

Hopefully that helps anyone finding themselves in a similar situation.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Good for you in being proactive. As someone who waited 16 weeks for my permission slip back during the craziness, I must say I'm jealous of your 8 day wait.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    When I was a kid I went to a in patient inst. for a few days for depression. When getting my LTCH I had to provide proof that I was treated and released. It took a while, but I got the paperwork, went downtown and had the hearing. Two weeks later I received my LTCH in the mail.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just because you volunteered for counseling doesn't mean you have been treated for mental illness. IANL, but I would think a "No" answer would be an honest answer in your case. Just because I go to a doctor doesn't mean I am sick. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Top Bottom