• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Kind of, several years ago - when the Indiana LTCH was all you needed to purchase a firearm instantly. My son and I were attending a Gun Show and I was meandering down the aisles viewing all the goodies.

One dealer had a stack of 22 LR compact Jennings with a sign indicating they were for sale for $60 (as I remember), it was a "fair price" at the time. As I was passing I said I would pay $50 for one and kept going.

The dealer said come back, do you have your pink slip, you just bought one! So I returned and paid for it, not really having intended to purchase one! A couple of guys near me noted the transaction and told me "you will be lucky if both mags feed right" and "those guns will only feed certain ammo without jamming".

So while attending the show I purchased several different brands, bullet weights and velocity of 22 LR ammo. On the way home I stopped at another son's home in the country and we loaded both mags with various types of 22 LR. The cheap little gun fired a couple hundred rounds of every style of ammo from both mags without fail AND was quite accurate for such a short barrel. Still have though it hasn't been out of the safe for a few years.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Not truly accidental but I have had some "wow" surprise buys. I love Winchester Model 12's. It's an "in awe of grand dad" thing.

I go through GB and look for mis-labeled guns or ones placed in the wrong category. Found an add for a pawn shop that selling a M12, the add talked about all of it's imperfections but failed to mention it had a solid rib barrel. It cleaned up real nice and was $275 delivered.

Got a real nice late 1920's Model 12 that was listed as a Browning A5 for $250 delivered.

Also picked up a Win M97 with a 32in barrel for $225 delivered. (Most of these my local gun guy said I could just leave those with him.)

It would be scary to try and figure how many hours were devoted to finding those particular adds on GB, but then again I have more time than money...

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i cant say ive ever bought anything accidentally :ugh:

closest thing to an "accidental" purchase was telling my wife to go find herself a new car...

she did the deal, all i had to do is drop by the dealer and sign the paperwork...

and make the payments :spend:

:cheers:

Mark in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2018
    Evansville
    10 years ago I was shopping in a newly opened pawn shop. While waiting to make my purchase, another customer asked if he could sell them his .38 revolver. The owner said he couldn't buy it because he didn't have his FFL. I asked the guy if I could examine his gun. Then I asked how much he wanted for it. He answered $25. I couldn't get my money out fast enough. Although this revolver only used .38S&W, My Dad had the same type of gun and plenty of ammo. A lot of guys may not like an Iver Johnson gun, but I think it's a good sock drawer gun.

Attachments

• GUN.jpg
      GUN.jpg
      572.9 KB · Views: 10

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    I bought a gun safe and it had a broken gun inside ,previous owner left it . when I notified him he said it yours now. Ithaca twenty gauge. broken stock . had it repaired works good. My wife bought an old dresser at an estate sale, the drawers were full of sewing material. When we pulled drawers out to load there was a 22 pistol ( high standard) in one of them. Told the person running the sale they got a funny look on their face and asked if we would wait a few minutes. She called some one on the phone,then in three to five minutes a man walked up asked if he could see the gun . I held it up . He grinned asked if he could hold the gun . I checked it ,handed it to him . He asked the sale lady what my wife paid for the dresser. $25 ,she said . He asked what I wanted for the gun I bought , I said ask my wife she bought it. She said trade ya the dresser for it . Done deal. His folks estate , hired some one to do the sale . They were supposed to go through everything , they didn't. Knew the old folks in my youth good people . He said he always wondered were it was. In his moms sewing room. Loaded the dresser ,my grandchildren keep their play clothes in it when they come over.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No I have not.
    But I did spend a butt load on parts to build one after too many adult beverages around the fire one summer night. Spouse found some serious charges in one of our accounts to Brownells etc and asked me about them. I really could not remember what I had done.....:):

No, I do not consume anymore.....:dunno:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've never bought anything on accident, but I have occasionally been surprised by someone accepting my offer or by others at an auction just not bidding.

Just this afternoon I won a Gunbroker auction for a Smith & Wesson 617 brand new for $100 less than I could find anywhere. I'm happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i cant say ive ever bought anything accidentally :ugh:

closest thing to an "accidental" purchase was telling my wife to go find herself a new car...

she did the deal, all i had to do is drop by the dealer and sign the paperwork...

and make the payments :spend:

:cheers:

Well, yeah that happened to me as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I ALMOST did the other day. Kind of.

I knew that a buddy of mine had bought a nice G22 from another buddy of mine.

I texted the guy and asked him if he did buy it (I was shaky on the details). He replied in the affirmative.

I asked if he needed to sell it - to let me know. I half expected him to jump on the offer for a quick infusion of $ they could use (They're doing OK, but not great....) He told me that he sold it to another buddy, but he and that guy buy/trade back and forth all the time when a need arises. I left it as "if he needs a quick $300, I'll buy that G22".

So while I meant to text my buddy with an open-ended offer to buy, I had a panic attack when I thought it was going to be a "I'll call him and see if he wants to sell right now" and then I'd have to explain it to my wife.

That'd have been an accident.

Tburke798

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    St.John
    I'have done the same thing.....you toss a bid on a gun you think you would like, put a low bid or a "as much as your willing to pay" bid on it and BAM! Week later you own it. You notice that it never happens with the really good guns., Pyhton, Browning High Power, Classics that would help your collection!....lol

At least that been my luck!

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    Haven’t done that before but I would be very excited if I did something like this. I’m usually the one who forgets to bid and then waits thinking they are going to have the winning bid.

Top Bottom