Have you ever failed a background check when buying a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    went to the cmp a bout a month ago in ohio (4.5 hour drive) to pick up an M1 Garand (everyone should own one, they are awesome, i digress). I have had no issue with my past 4 purchases, proceeded immediately. when i bout my ar15 a couple years ago, i got delayed, then called back within 25 minutes. so i hung around the cmp store for a half hour, walked back to the desk to tell them i was leaving, if anything changed call me, ill go ahead and pay for shipping she tells me i just got the call back to proceed, she is finishing my paperwork and i am good to go, scared the crap out of me. really didnt want to drive 9 hours to have to pay 25 bucks to have the darn thing shipped home.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    It happened to me this year. It wasn't on a purchase it was on a transfer from GA. My stepdad sent me a pistol that I left in his safe on a visit. They told me I was denied my own F***ing pistol. I was furious!!!!! I asked the guy at the store for the number to call and the case number. I called and got a nice lady on the phone and told her how upsetting this was and I wanted to know what to do. She wouldn't give a straight answer but did ask a few questions. She finally said let me give you a call back. I was pissed because this was my gun that was legally registered to me and they wouldn't release it to me. I had just the month before purchased a 1911 at a store and wasn't even delayed. And 6 months before bought a shotgun and a .22 and never delayed. I never got a call back from them so I went back to the store a couple of days later I was going to just pay to send the gun back to my stepdad. When I walked in the guy behind the counter told me the FBI called back on my gun. I was shocked he was shocked. He said he had never had this happen before, I was delayed then cleared. Still don't know why this happened and probably won't know. I am from GA and wish IN was the same with a gun purchase. With a gun permit in GA when you walk in to a store to purchase a gun you hand over your permit they take the info off of it and that it is it you walk out with your new purchase.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    OH and the lady on the phone with the FBI told me I could apply for a special ID number that was a auto-clear every time with the govt check. Well that is as long as your record doesn't change. She said it takes awhile to get it but worth it for future purchase if you are one of the ones that goes to a second reviewer this may keep that from happening.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    OH and the lady on the phone with the FBI told me I could apply for a special ID number that was a auto-clear every time with the govt check. Well that is as long as your record doesn't change. She said it takes awhile to get it but worth it for future purchase if you are one of the ones that goes to a second reviewer this may keep that from happening.

It's called a UPIN. (Unique Personal ID Number). I did a thread on how to go about getting one.

I had to correct my criminal record with IN (amend a D felony to properly show an A misdemeanor) and after sending in all my paperwork to the FBI, I got my UPIN within a week and a half.

Worth the effort IMO.. I was allowed to proceed with a gun purchase the day after I got my UPIN.. Speedy process if you have one (as long as your record doesn't change)

cbowman75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2011
    Marion
    My gf gets delayed everytime she buys a gun and the fbi never calls back, so she has to wait 3 days and then gets to pick her gun up.

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I used to get delayed every time. And the Feds never called back, I always had to wait the max time. Then my local gun dealer filled out one of those UPiNs for me and I haven't had a problem since. Highly recommend if you are having to wait.

Top Bottom