• ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    HOLY CRAP THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!

I figured a quality gun like the Python would be made in large enough numbers that there would be a lot of them out there and hence, the used prices would be somewhat reasonable.

I was way wrong. I'm seeing them over $1500 on the cheap end, and north of $3k for some samples.

I know they are highly regarded, but-- really?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks like my Python aspirations may end up just settling for a 686 or similar.

If I won the lottery (which I won't because I never buy a ticket), I might buy a Python or three.

Until then, I buy used S&W revolvers and haven't been disappointed yet. And I bet you wont be disappointed with a 686 either.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Hand crafted by real craftsmen. I certian member on the board has many of them I am sure he will chime in on this thread eventually. (PS thanks for the sunday 1500 ticket)> I will let him tell you how many he has.

Some real python or diamondback collectors accually seek out ones made by a certian person. It was signed on the box. Mine has no box, it sits in the safe and the 586 and model 29 go to the range.
    Picture033-1.jpg

Picture030-1.jpg

Notice lack of a turn ring on the cylinder.

Picture050-1.jpg

And the vintage trigger shoe.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I am happy with the 586 and the python was an investment. It was purchased as an investment. I have shot it but in the safe it stays. Better than facebook stock, Cd's or cash in the bank. They are not making them anymore and if they do they will be cnc copies of the old ones.

I have plenty of 357's to shoot. I long ago bought a 3 screw ruger blackhawk that was not bastardized by the ruger recall. I figured it would be an investment piece. It has not gone up in price to match the inflation rate. The python has exceeded my expectations.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    My first handgun wat a Colt Python, and I still have it! I'd have to go dig up the receipt, yes I still have it, but I think I bought this one in 1985 or 86 and not sure but think I spent between 700 and 800 back then for the bright stainless model:

DSC_5183.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You might want to look into the King Cobras. Their prices are rising too.

The cobra's were CNC and not hand fitted. Yes the prices are rising and deals can still be found. They are not a python.

I did pick up a Trooper II 357. I can shoot it also. CNC not hand fitted. Not a python. The thing that made me buy it, It also had a Trigger shoe installed.

Picture051-1.jpg

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    My first handgun wat a Colt Python, and I still have it! I'd have to go dig up the receipt, yes I still have it, but I think I bought this one in 1985 or 86 and not sure but think I spent between 700 and 800 back then for the bright stainless model:

DSC_5183.jpg

Rick from "the walking dead" would give you a 5 star rating on that one.

Top Bottom