• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Hi all, This is my first post I think...other than my intoduction.
    In a discussion with another newbie, we wondered what the rule is regarding having a gun in the car. We found the rules for a non-licensed person, but we still are not clear on the rule for a licensed person. My friend talked with his local police and he was told that he could have a gun in the car...but the ammun couldn't be within reaching distance. It seems a little odd....however, we are here to learn ....So, what do you say?:)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    No license = no handgun in car (home or business only)*

License = handgun anywhere (exempt the "normal" off-limits places like airplanes and schools)

*As of July 1 you can now transport your handgun to the range without a license.

Also note that this does not apply to long guns-- those you can take anywhere.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    If you have a license to carry handgun then youay carry in a car or wherever you please execpt a few places.

Welcome to ingo

Homebrew

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.

IC 35-47-2-2
    Excepted persons
    Sec. 2. Section 1 of this chapter does not apply to:
    (1-10) [special people], or
    (11) any person while carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or to a place of repair or back to his dwelling or fixed place of business, or in moving from one dwelling or business to another.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If you have a valid LTCH, you are good to go. Carry as you please.
    Cocked, locked, Condition Butterscotch, duct taped to your forehead, whatever. There is nothing in the code to restrict you.

The unloaded, out of reach is only for those who do not have LTCH. Its part of the new law that took effect Jul 1, 2011.

Hope this helps.

Oh and :welcome: to INGO

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Read what your LTCH says on it. It says, "...on your person or in a vehicle...". The thing about not having ammo within reach only applies to someone transporting a pistol without an LTCH.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    *As of July 1 you can now transport your handgun to the range without a license.

Now stop that! What is this give Kirk an ulcer day?:D

Unloaded, not readily accessible and in secure wrapper.

Let's . . . look at the statute:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:

(A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.

jeep, if you have the license, you are fine to carry the pistol, or pistols, however you desire.

Get the LTCH and you don't have to worry about unloaded, non-accessible, not in secure wrappers. Fewer headaches are a good thing.

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Thankyou so much for clarifying that for me. And...... already sent in the application and just waitng for my bright, shiny, new license to arrive.....well, you get the idea. :)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Now stop that! What is this give Kirk an ulcer day?:D

Unloaded, not readily accessible and in secure wrapper.

Let's . . . look at the statute:

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by a person convicted of domestic battery; exceptions
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:
    (1) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person;
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property to have the handgun on the premises;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    (3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case;
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (C) secured in a case; or
    (5) the person carries the handgun:
    (A) at a shooting range (as defined in IC 14-22-31.5-3);
    (B) while attending a firearms instructional course; or
    (C) while engaged in a legal hunting activity.
    (c) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 35-47-4-7, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun.
    (d) This section may be not construed:
    (1) to prohibit a person who owns, leases, rents, or otherwise legally controls private property from regulating or prohibiting the possession of firearms on the private property;
    (2) to allow a person to adopt or enforce an ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that:
    (A) prohibits; or
    (B) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle, unless the person's adoption or enforcement of the ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule is allowed under IC 34-28-7-2(b); or
    (3) to allow a person to adopt or enforce a law, statute, ordinance, resolution, policy, or rule that allows a person to possess or transport a firearm or ammunition if the person is prohibited from possessing or transporting the firearm or ammunition by state or federal law.

jeep, if you have the license, you are fine to carry the pistol, or pistols, however you desire.

Get the LTCH and you don't have to worry about unloaded, non-accessible, not in secure wrappers. Fewer headaches are a good thing.
    Can it be Christmas wrapper for this season, and maybe red for valentine's? ,and I'm thinking green for St Patty's day!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Thankyou so much for clarifying that for me. And...... already sent in the application and just waitng for my bright, shiny, new license to arrive.....well, you get the idea. :)
    Sorry... you're in for a disappointment...... They're on dull, pink printer paper, so make many copies before laminating...don't ask me how I know:cool:
    And welcome to :ingo:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    :welcome: to INGO

Before you get your license and start carrying. Learn and memorize all of the state laws regarding the use of deadly force and where it's not legal to have a firearm. There needs to be no doubt in your mind as to the legality of carrying and using a firearm for any situation that may arise as an armed citizen.

Know your rights as well as the laws. :twocents:

And I don't mean to burst your bubble...but the license won't be "bright" and "shiny"....it's actually pink :facepalm:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    So does Castle Doctrine only extend to your vehicle if you have a LTCH?

On the surface of your question, I would say yes since if you are in compliance for transporting the handgun, it would not be loaded, it would be in a secure wrapper and out of reach. Long gun, different story altogether. I think you'd be just fine.
    However, I could think of a scenerio where you'd probably be ok. For instance, you were mugged, forced into your trunk, where you happen to have your pistol that you were taking to the range. You load it and use it to defend yourself and get away from said mugger/car jacker.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    ...Cocked, locked, Condition Butterscotch, duct taped to your forehead, whatever. There is nothing in the code to restrict you.

I am so unaware of what condition butterscotch is, but I'm sure I would like it. (explain?)

I tried taped to the forhead - don't do it - You'll lose your eyebrows if you have to draw in a hurry. Thankfully, eyebrows grow back.

Top Bottom