• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    About a month ago I bought a AR50 (see my avatar) for my fiftieth birthday and today I finally had a chance to take it to the range, I paired it with a new 3x16 Leupold scope. I picked up a rear mono pod to help with balance and steadiness. I have shakes similar to Parkinson's so any thing to steady helps. To sum up the trip in one word "awesome". I have heard so much about how bad this thing is going to kick and make me sore. I highly over estimated is all I can say. My 870 12ga has more kick! The muzzle break does it's job well!

It probably helped a bit to have the rear mono pod resting on the bench. It took 4 rounds to zero in the scope pretty close. Started at 50 yards then 100 and on out to 200. I need a little more tweaking at 200 yards to hit perfect. I hope to find a range that goes out to 300+ yards. It got dark way to fast to test grouping. That's next. Only 10 rounds in to it and I am sure I have more rounds to go to get it the way I want. I am so happy with it. It's not a cheap gun to shoot but lucky I can afford to shoot it.

A big thank you goes out to harry1911 for the help with the sighting. I feel bad that she shot it with a torn rotator cuff but I could not keep him away from it lol. I would have waste a lot more lead and brass without his help. We had a awesome time this evening. I have some video I need to put on Youtube of us shooting it today. I will post the URL when I get it up there. I hope to get to the range earlier in the day this weekend.

:patriot: I love my country!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I've owned State Arms & now Mcmillan 50 BMG, kick isn't the problem, the blast is, too much noise & I feel like my nose is running

I use ear plugs as well as muffs and it isn't bad. I do get a little bit of a headache after 10 rounds. It makes my wallet hurt a little too lol but dam it is fun!! I have a video if a buddy of mine shooting it when it cleared the stuff off the second table over. I make sure that that are at least 3 tables each side of me clear or I don't shoot it. I also hand out ear plugs for the guys with muffs and if there is someone ther that doesn't have muffs and i don't have a spare it's a no go for a shoot. I ask everyone if they are ok with me shooting it. I don't want to annoy or hurt anyone. Most are really eager to see it go off.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The AR50 was my first fifty and I loved it, but the thing is a beast and I really need a rifle capable of shooting lefty which it isn't and finding a LH AR50 is rare as hen's teeth which is why I now have a Ferret50.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the .50bmg club.

potbelly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    That is a good question. Better yet how did you stop the round? Will a 50 cal. shot through a concrete block wall?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    where do you shoot it in indiana??

The Howard Township Conservation across the state line in Niles Michigan is the closest place I have found. The back stop is hillside. Really high. You would have to do something pretty stupid. Like shoot it in the air or in front of the back stop. I bore sighted it and started at 50 yards then worked my way out to 200 yards.

I would dearly love to find a longer range! If anyone knows of one I would love to check it out. I just bought another 100 rounds! I don't do it justice at 200 yards. Sadly I am having surgery Wednesday and won't be able to shoot it for a few months :( I am going to try to make it to the range today or Monday for one last time before surgery. Hopefully I will get another range trip post op before winter. :ar15:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I shoot mine at my place :) I have out to 500 yards right now and am working on making it to 600.

That would be great to have your own place! Bedford is a good drive from here. If you ever want to have a .50bmg to shoot againt let me know :D .I am crazy enough to drive that far! lol

I was hoping that we would not get rain today. I think it is suppose to rain tomorrow. My only other chance to shoot it again before surgery is Tuesday. It will be a month or so before I can shoot t again. I hope to make it to the Howard Township range Tuesday! Dam it's fun!

Thanks for the location tips. I will check the map out and see where they are. Even if I had to spend the night it would be fine!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Check out Hillside as suggested above. Let me know when you are going and I'll trade shots with you. I have a 338 Lapua that I'll share. I even have a little 50bmg ammo that needs to be shot. We'll get you worked out to 1000 yards.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Check out Hillside as suggested above. Let me know when you are going and I'll trade shots with you. I have a 338 Lapua that I'll share. I even have a little 50bmg ammo that needs to be shot. We'll get you worked out to 1000 yards.

That would be awesome! I have a fair amount of 50 bmg. round 100 rounds. I would love to try your Lapua. My cousin tried to talk me on to getting one instead of the AR50. We can trade rounds on the gun. NP. I have my doubts about how well I will do out that far but hey I gotta try! I will take you up on the offer! Sounds like a great time! I will get my cousin to bring his 416 Ruger. It's a neat rifle.

Thanks!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Happy Birthday to You! Lovley Weapon! Good luck with the Surgery!

Thanks! and surgery went well. I have had the AR50 out to the range 3 times. It is awesome:rockwoot:I would love to trade shots with some else that has another high power rifle :D But even better would bea place to shoot it farther then 200 yards and that would welcome a 50bmg! and is safe enough to handle it. And hopefully not a days drive away. there has to be other 50bmg shooters out there in the area? Let's have some fun! :draw:

Top Bottom