• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    If someone parked on your property, such as your driveway, and you had "No Parking" signs that were clearly visible, can you have that car towed away?

How exactly does that work?
    Who has to pay for that?
    Do you just call the tow truck company? Or do you have to call the police?

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I don't know the specific legalities of it but when I drove a tow truck (about 8 years back) the property owner could have us come and remove a vehicle. It would usually involve him paying us for just the tow itself. If and when the owner wanted the vehicle back they would be responsible for the storage and towing fees as well. If we recovered the initial tow fee it would be returned to the property owner that had the car towed. I dont think you have to have a no parking sign if its private property but who knows with all the wierd laws that are on the books.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    To attempt to answer your question........I would say your best bet would be to call the PD and let them come out and deal with it. Just make sure they know you want it gone ASAP and hopefully they can get in contact with the owner or tow it. If it is parked on your property....you can have it towed away, but you would probably be responsible for paying for the tow up front. You could also end up dealing with the owner reporting it stolen, not that anythig but a headache should come out of that.......but still a headache.

I would call the PD and have them send someone out and hopefully they can get it resolved quickly for you.

:twocents:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    To counter that slightly, the PD can not tow from private property (barring an agency agreement..ie a walmart parking lot). It is you that does the "towing". If someone parks in your yard or driveway, it's your responsibility...now if that car makes it out onto the street (public prop) then it's the police's deal. If the car is on the street and blocking access to your driveway then it's also the police's deal. If you truly don't know who parked in your driveway then you should call the police to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen. If it is stolen, then it's the police's problem and they'll tow the vehicle. If you do know who owns the vehicle then don't involve the police (as they'll just say it's your deal anyway), pick a wrecker company and be done with it. Considering the way you asked the question, it leads me to believe that you know the individual.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You know, when a company sends you something in the mail unsolicited, you can consider it a gift and keep it. You have no obligation to return it. Same deal here, right? Free car!

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    You know, when a company sends you something in the mail unsolicited, you can consider it a gift and keep it. You have no obligation to return it. Same deal here, right? Free car!

Knowing our luck, it would be a Pinto with no floorboard. :)

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think you are free to shoot at anything on your private property as long as you are outside the city limit and have a safe backstop. ;)

tumblr_lc1cxspwAD1qzud0uo1_500.jpg

Usually people dont park on MY spot twice.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But you could roll around Fred Flintstone style. That would be awesome.

I already do. My car doesn't turn and I have to stop with my feet. On the other hand, the brontosaurus ribs are teh aws0z0rs! Well, until they tip the car over.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    my parents have had a couple of people basically abandon cars on their property over the years. They have called the towing company and they wont tow it on private property unless the property owners pay for it.

BUT if the car were next to the road, ie on the shoulder, then they would tow it no problem.

So needless to say sometime at night after a couple of days the car would mysteriously end up next to the road. ;)

Top Bottom