• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Doesn't have to be 3d printed but I figured that would be my best option. So while I am asking advice on getting something printed in the third dimension, I am also open to other alternatives.

I am going to be putting in a 30 foot flag pole in front of my house. I also have a rubber m4 training rifle I am going to paint black, and a Kevlar helmet that someone has donated to me. Next to my flag pole I want to put in a permanent battlefield cross memorial. So I have the rifle, and the helmet, both will be painted in a way to protect them from UV exposure. What I don't have are the boots. I have a pair of boots, but plain boots wont last a year outside.

Bronzing a pair is expensive, and wont fair much better outside.
    I cant find just concrete combat boots.
    So 3d printing seems to be an option for me.

What is the process of 3d printing and how much can I expect it to cost? I have a friend that can print these up to 9 inch's, which is a tad small, but will work, but he would need a file, which I cant find. So that means I will probably have to go to a place that has the ability to scan existing boots and print them.

Thoughts and advice?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Just had a thought, but don't know where I would turn to get it done, but what about a clay? Once baked and turned into ceramic its pretty indestructible right?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Can you expand on that thought?

Like a two part deal? Put it on with a paint brush? You think that will actually hold up? How would it end up looking?

Multiple light coats with a brush. You could paint the finished product with the same UV resistant paint as the other stuff.

Disclaimer: I’ve not done this, but seen it done with baby shoes, baseball gloves, etc for display purposes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just had a thought, but don't know where I would turn to get it done, but what about a clay? Once baked and turned into ceramic its pretty indestructible right?

That's what I was going to suggest. As for expense, a pair of combat boots is something a hobbyist could easily do.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Thought, perhaps you stake the boots to the ground and cover them in "neverwet" a hydrophobic solution for shoes. Then they should last much longer. Maybe plasti dip them first?

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Fill the boots With Expanding Foam. When Cured sand the foam to shed Water. Coat them with Spray On Bedliner, 4-5 light coats. Thanks for the Flag Pole & Military Recognition!!!!!!!!!!:patriot:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you have a jigsaw, you can do something like this..

NEW-Handmade-Wood-Lawn-Yard-Shadow-Silhouette.jpg

6ec08656f65e159f0f59f3135908ac7d.jpg

6f2d1b55c56281814eb7a434f3787045.jpg

9c930dc342a04df1180654a22a555e8a.jpg

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong