• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Watched a rerun of Lonesome Dove this weekend in which Robert Duvall carries a Colt walker in a crossdraw holster. Got me to wondering what is the biggest hawg leg any of you carry on any kind of regular basis? I will admit that back in the seventies, (my age is showing) I did on occasion carry a six inch Colt trooper in a shoulder rig. Why you ask? cause I couldn't afford a model 29.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Several years ago (bunch of years) an guy by the name of Earl Keller founded a company I think was called "Century Arms". You might be able to find pictures of it on the internet but he made a revolver that shot a 45-70 shell. Several officers bought them. It was a monster of a gun. Took both hands to hold it up. You can imagine just the size of the cylinder with that size of shell. It would put the model 29 to shame.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Several years ago (bunch of years) an guy by the name of Earl Keller founded a company I think was called "Century Arms". You might be able to find pictures of it on the internet but he made a revolver that shot a 45-70 shell. Several officers bought them. It was a monster of a gun. Took both hands to hold it up. You can imagine just the size of the cylinder with that size of shell. It would put the model 29 to shame.

Is this it? http://gastatic.com/UserImages/4999/981607943/wm_866494.jpg

If so, that thing is a beast! If not, that thing is a beast! :ar15:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Plinkuh, Very close. His were all blue steel. The cylinder was about 6" across and just as long. It looks kin in your picture the barrel is 13" long, his wasn't quite that long. He started in a machine shop on the north side of town and has a small shop in his garage.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I often carry my 6 1/2" model 610 (N Frame) in a Bianchi X15 shoulder rig. Same hoslter fits my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk. Both are comfortable all day but the SBH is a little lighter. Right now it's a CZ 97B (no lightweight) in a Ross shoulder holster.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I occasionally carry a pair of Smith & Wesson hand ejectors, both with 6.5" barrels, one a 1st Model in .44 Special and the other a 2nd Model in .455 Webley, in an El Paso Saddlery 1879 Model double shoulder rig.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have, and still do occasionally, carry 7.5" super redhawk, super blackhawk, and super redhawk Alaskan, all in 44 mag, in shoulder rigs.

Ayup, super blackhawk 44, and a redhawk, 629 w/4" for low profile days.

I've carried a Ruger Old Army 7.5 about half regular when it suits my mood.

Been down sizing to my 66 w/4" lately. It's like a little feather.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Packed around a Smith & Wesson Model 57 with 8" barrel in a sholder holster. Looking back on it that was not exactly practical. For years after I was married the gun hung on the post of the bed.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

Is this it?

BigDamnGun.jpg

Top Bottom