• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    looks like a few minor wording changes and taking out a few grey areas. Still appears to be the same rule as always

:dunno: Maybe i did not read it correctly but to me it sounds like you will not be able to use a spot light to locate ANY animal from Oct. 1 through Jan 15. This is not limited to any animal.

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I also do not think that there is a limit on what someone can call a spot light. Maybe i am wrong but could a CO, if he wanted to be a pita, say that a flashlight is a spotlight? Would it then not be ok to use a flashlight to blood trail a deer at night?

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I also do not think that there is a limit on what someone can call a spot light. Maybe i am wrong but could a CO, if he wanted to be a pita, say that a flashlight is a spotlight? Would it then not be ok to use a flashlight to blood trail a deer at night?

It says spotlight or search light, that could go as far as car headlights or a kid hunting nightcrawlers.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    It still seems to me using a light to recover a downed animal could be a problem?

Haymaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Jennings County
    There is an exception for furbearing animals.
    (d) A person may not take any wildlife, except furbearing mammals,with the aid of illumination of any spotlight, searchlight, or other artificial light.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Personally, I think this bill is a big step backwards in our freedoms and it is far over-reaching.

This makes it impossible to do any form of nature watching at night. And makes it very ambiguous to "look for things" at night as well. I personally think it's a big batch of BS. As the bill is currently written, you can't even try to locate a downed animal with a light (even if you don't have a firearm). And you can't even try to find your lost dog at night either. IIRC, ss the current state statutes and definitions are written, any animal (even domesticated) is considered wild, and therefore can't have a light cast upon it at night unless it's a part of agricultural operations or it is a furbearing animal.

View this thread for further discussion on the issue.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rs/189236-hb1221_regulating_spotlighting.html

Last edited:

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Yea I missed the fur bearing exception, Its still BS. I don't see a problem with lights, I do see a problem with poaching. They are just looking for a reason to make distinguishing a lawbreaker easier. You could just as easily be out shining coon with no dog, and be arrested. Unfortunately, It seems like the lawman always seems to come to the conclusion that you are breaking the law and not necessarily believe that you could be doing what is allowed by law.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Whatever you take on ths bill contact.... .

Chair: Senator Mishler - Senate Republicans: Sen. Ryan Mishler
    Vice Chair:
    Members:
    Waterman R.M. - Senate Republicans: Sen. John Waterman
    Banks - Senate Republicans: Sen. Jim Banks
    Kruse - Senate Republicans: Sen. Dennis Kruse
    Steele - Senate Republicans: Sen. Brent Steele
    Tomes - Senate Republicans: Sen. Jim Tomes
    Yoder - Senate Republicans: Sen. Carlin Yoder

R. Young - R.M.M., Indiana Senate Democratic Caucus: Senator Richard Young - Home
    Hume - Indiana Senate Democratic Caucus: Senator Lindel Hume - Home
    Skinner - Indiana Senate Democratic Caucus: Senator Tim Skinner - Home

Personally I think the bill is very poorly written and unenforcable to a large degree. How does a CO know if you ave permission to shine a piece of property that you may or may not have leased or permission to hunt?

Top Bottom