• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jolly rancher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    I second the statement, “who the F reads the newspaper“. I would say mostly those over the age of 60 and who are not very internet savvy. The vast majority of people under the age of 60 get their news (I use that term loosely) from the internet but more importantly I think most people are “awoke” to the fact that all news outlets are biased. After the election I find myself watching a lot less news and when I do it is always with a more jaded view. The news isn’t the news anymore it is entertainment first and opinion second with little balance. Anyway I think the Opposition has their work cut out for themselves with a 3 to 1 Republican majority in the senate. I would say the weak link would be the governor as he will not be running for office again.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Heads up... one of the statewide newspaper chains is preparing to torpedo 1369 with a multi-paper editorial targeting the representatives and the governor within the next few days. (These folks need to mind their own business)
    Thanks for the heads-up Viper. Things been a little too quiet. By this move by the dead media it confirms my inside source's view of what's going on behind the scenes.

Let them editorialize. "We the People" will fill up inboxes and voicemails.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Dumping this thread due to dupe posts. This thread should have been shut down 243 posts ago.

See you all in the 2021 Legislative action thread.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I imagine my comment will be scrubbed from the paper, but I feel better.

►"The bill would eliminate the state’s current licensing procedure, allowing anyone not specifically prohibited from carrying a firearm to do so without a license."

This is already legal under Indiana Code 35-47-2-19 for certain handguns. Not a single law enforcement witness testified about ANY problems with current law. Expanding permitless carry will not cause any problems either.

►"Many police agencies oppose the measure."

Don't care. The police's rationale was that they "could stop people and check them out". It was a lie. The Indiana Supreme Court held in Pinner in 2017 that the police cannot do this.

The opposition to repealing the present tax on civil rights is a stalking horse for racism. The Lafayette Police Chief testified in opposition to the bill as they use the "show me your papers approach" in dealing with racial minorities. This is the VERY SAME police chief who hired a real, actual Nazi and then got caught doing so.

The police have lost any credibility that they had in opposition to restoring our civil rights by speaking out against civil rights and, at the same time, hiring Nazis.

►"Gov. Eric Holcomb should not hesitate to exercise his veto"

This isn't Alabama, Brandean. Only a majority is required to override Gov. Holcomb's veto.

Brian Bosma is long gone. We will have our civil rights restored in Indiana and there is nothing you can do about it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I get the local paper. It only comes Mon, Wed-Sat.
    Somehow we have to fund local reporting of the news.
    Otherwise, how would you know what happened at the meetings of the city council, county council, school board, etc.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I may have found a problem. July 1st 2021 is the cut off date for issuing the LTCH. But Constitutional carry and the reciprocity license don't go into effect until March 2022. So anyone who isn't issued a LTCH by 7/1/21 is screwed until 3/1/22. That's if I'm reading it right.

And I still have a problem with the language of carry in states we have a reciprocity agreement with. And that would be we don't have any, and there is no mechanism in the IC to enter into one.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I may have found a problem. July 1st 2021 is the cut off date for issuing the LTCH. But Constitutional carry and the reciprocity license don't go into effect until March 2022. So anyone who isn't issued a LTCH by 7/1/21 is screwed until 3/1/22. That's if I'm reading it right.

And I still have a problem with the language of carry in states we have a reciprocity agreement with. And that would be we don't have any, and there is no mechanism in the IC to enter into one.
    Huh? 0300 reading may be the issue here. I don't even know what the first issue you raise is about. But Im comfortable enough with the folks who drafted this and worked on it that you probably have it wrong. As to the second, I think its been covered.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Huh? 0300 reading may be the issue here. I don't even know what the first issue you raise is about. But Im comfortable enough with the folks who drafted this and worked on it that you probably have it wrong. As to the second, I think its been covered.
    I reread it, I'm wrong on the day the reciprocity license can start being issued. It can start being issued the day after they stop issuing the LTCH.

But that may still cause a problem, because as the bill says the reciprocity license is for carrying in state we have reciprocity with. Would it be valid for carry here in IN? If not the person wouldn't be able to carry for up to 8mo in IN, not until constitutional carry kicks in.

I could see the police in some places arresting and the prosecutor prosecuting because it's specifically for carry outside the state, not in.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I used to use them for my parrot's cage, but paper towels are cheaper.

That's about all I would think newspapers would be good for any more. Of course I'm talking major city papers. I know some of the smaller towns have their own which aren't nearly as riddled with lies and propaganda.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I reread it, I'm wrong on the day the reciprocity license can start being issued. It can start being issued the day after they stop issuing the LTCH.

But that may still cause a problem, because as the bill says the reciprocity license is for carrying in state we have reciprocity with. Would it be valid for carry here in IN? If not the person wouldn't be able to carry for up to 8mo in IN, not until constitutional carry kicks in.

I could see the police in some places arresting and the prosecutor prosecuting because it's specifically for carry outside the state, not in.
    I can't quote the language, but I think you are still wrong. WE have the lifetime and I believe we will still have the free 5-year LTCH. Once this is in effect, you won't need either to carry in IN if that is your concern. I'm sure Kelly or others who are following this more closely can address your concern, If its not already been addressed upthread.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I can't quote the language, but I think you are still wrong. WE have the lifetime and I believe we will still have the free 5-year LTCH. Once this is in effect, you won't need either to carry in IN if that is your concern. I'm sure Kelly or others who are following this more closely can address your concern, If its not already been addressed upthread.
    They are stopping the issue of LTCHs on 6/30/21, then they are starting to issue the reciprocity license on 7/1/21. Constitutional carry doesn't start until 3/1/22, 8 months after they start issuing the reciprocity license. If as the bill states it's only good for carry in states we have a reciprocity agreement... We don't have an agreement with ourselves. See what I'm talking about?

ETA I have the lifetime, I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried that this can screw others.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm really not sure why there is so much confusion with this.

As I understand it, some states currently recognize Indiana's LTCH and allow anyone who holds one to carry in their state (reciprocity). Other states don't recognize the LTCH, and won't allow holders to carry in those states, often it's because we don't have a training requirement to get the LTCH. None of this changes if Indiana changes the name of the LTCH to a "reciprocity license."

Under this bill, a resident of Indiana will no longer need any type of license to carry within the state provided they are not a prohibited person. If they want to carry in another state, they can apply for the newly named "reciprocity license", formerly the LTCH, which is now free and will continue to be free after the name change.

States will either choose to recognize the reciprocity license like they do the LTCH, or they won't. Just like today.

Sometimes these reciprocity agreements are formalized by letters signed by the Attorney General in each state, sometimes they aren't. Some states recognize any license from any other state. Some allow Constitutional Carry for anyone, resident or not.

TL-DR version, you won't need a license to carry in Indiana. If you care about carrying in another state that does require non-residents to hold a license, you can get a free Reciprocity License (formally called LTCH). States will still have discretion to recognize the Reciprocity License or not.

Top Bottom