HB1109 veteran status on drivers license---what is the possible point of this???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    pending bill---i dont see what possible purpose it serves

whats so special about being a vet that it gets put on your license??? so cops wont give tickets to vets??? so the govt knows who is most likely to support it in a time of trouble when licenses are being run at checkpoints???

whats the point???

Introduced Version, House Bill 1109

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    So they know who has a proclivity to become a domestic terrorist.

Edited to add: After seeing the serious replies following mine, I should clarify that the above sentence was tongue-in-cheek. The DL is issued by the state. If DHS is after veterans, I've got bad news: The federal government has more information than any other entity on veterans.

Last edited:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, it reads as a voluntary thing, so I don't know what to think. Not sure there are any advantages to it, but I could see some downsides to it (given what's come out of DHS in recent months).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

whats so special about being a vet that it gets put on your license???
    Heck if I know...
    If I have a choice it will NOT be placed on to my License.
    so cops wont give tickets to vets???
    LOL! I wish.
    so the govt knows who is most likely to support it in a time of trouble when licenses are being run at checkpoints???
    Actually probably the opposite. You are aware that being a Vet has been declared a precursor to being a Terrorist by the Homeland?!

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Atleast I won't have to take my DD214 around town to get my Veterans' Day discounts.

But, it's more likely to keep us terrorists labeled (see the MIAC report).

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Actually probably the opposite. You are aware that being a Vet has been declared a precursor to being a Terrorist by the Homeland?!

dont see how the hardcore ex mil people could EVER be considered terrorists

i dont see those 20 and 30 year men doing a thing except making sure that the checks keep coming in every month...they like things just the way they are...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

whats so special about being a vet that it gets put on your license??? so cops wont give tickets to vets??? so the govt knows who is most likely NOT to support it in a time of trouble when licenses are being run at checkpoints???

whats the point???

Introduced Version, House Bill 1109

^^ fixed that for you :):

If I want to be identified as a vet I already have a couple ID's for it. If I dont, then I can just not pull them out and give my DL. I will NOT be signing up for this crap. The govt wants to take guns away from vets, etc. We must resist this.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    dont see how the hardcore ex mil people could EVER be considered terrorists
    DHS and several of the other Alphabet Agencies have already made that jump that Veterans are Domestic Terrorists...

i dont see those 20 and 30 year men doing a thing except making sure that the checks keep coming in every month...they like things just the way they are...
    You do realize that a Veteran is anyone who has served...
    And that a high percentage of Vets have never served more than 4 years or been to Combat, even after10 years of War...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    DHS and several of the other Alphabet Agencies have already made that jump that Veterans are Domestic Terrorists...

i dont see it... when i was in,,,they beat it into your head to obey everyone and everything at all times,,,wherever you are,,,whoever is telling you what to do... they didnt even like you fighting traffic tickets...

asking permission before doing anything was what they really liked... taking the initiative,,,that was frowned on... if you need to do it,,,well tell you to do it... my experience is that vets had it beaten into them to be the least of the govts problems...

i always thought thats why so many military became cops,,,the attitude is so similar in both places... WHO SAID YOU COULD DO THAT????!!!!!!

its been a while,,,dont suppose it changed that much...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I did some looking and the bill was introduced by Rep. Douglas Gutwein in District 16. If he's your rep you might want to give him a call and see what this is about. I've read through the whole thing and still don't get it. It seems to serve no purpose, unless some vet wants to advertise his status like some bumper sticker.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You might not see it, but about a year ago DHS did declare Veterans as a Possible Source of Domestic Terrorists. I am sure someone on here has the link to the Memo.

My experience in the Military was the Opposite of yours apparently.
    Not to mention if My Troopers fail to take the initiative, I am going to own someones soul by the time I am done with them. I do not have time to think for my Troopers. I demand that they think on their own. I do not want automatons, I want People that when the heat is on can make the calls that need made with or without input from higher.

I am firm believer in the 2 up 2 down theory of leadership. Which means you learn the job 2 positions up from where you currently are, while you train 2 levels down for your replacement...

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    found this---nevada has it

http://www.dmvstat.com/pdfforms/dld129.pdf

ohio too

ODPS | BMV | Frequently Asked Questions

oregon too

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/traffic_newsletter/2011_01.pdf?ga=t

florida

State trying to contact Florida veterans through drivers' licenses | Florida politics blog: The Buzz | tampabay.com & St. Petersburg Times

im done looking---this seems to be sweeping the nation and gutwein is starting to look like a tool for big government power brokers back in DC---like hes their man in Indiana

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Slip that "voluntary" into the law giving some lame excuse for doing it, saying it's for your protection, then slide in an amendment down the road making it mandatory, and BINGO, wait for the hidden agenda to suddenly rear it's ugly head. Too many people forget that your drivers license has been turned into a FEDERAL ID card. Our illustrious Congress passed the law stating what will be on a drivers license, lest the offending state will not receive matching transportation funds. What is it, the percentage of military coming back from Iraq, that has been determined to have PTSD, and how long would it take for that proposal to list PTSD as a reason to deny a firearm purchase. I got rid of that info strip on the back of my license a long time ago, and when it's time to renew, the first thing I'll do with the new one is to run a magnet across it and then get out the alcohol and a cotton ball and go to work. Have no idea what the reasoning is for this little bit of stupidity is, and I don't care. Are you reading this Ms. Napolitano?

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Gents, if the government is after you, they don't need an emoticon with a helmet in your DL to know that you are a veteran. The federal government already has all the information it needs and more on a veteran.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Gents, if the government is after you, they don't need an emoticon with a helmet in your DL to know that you are a veteran. The federal government already has all the information it needs and more on a veteran.

LOL
    No doubt on that. They know more about me than my own Parents...
    I just do not trust anything that the Government wants done out of kindness either...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    You might not see it, but about a year ago DHS did declare Veterans as a Possible Source of Domestic Terrorists. I am sure someone on here has the link to the Memo.

My experience in the Military was the Opposite of yours apparently.
    Not to mention if My Troopers fail to take the initiative, I am going to own someones soul by the time I am done with them. I do not have time to think for my Troopers. I demand that they think on their own. I do not want automatons, I want People that when the heat is on can make the calls that need made with or without input from higher.

I am firm believer in the 2 up 2 down theory of leadership. Which means you learn the job 2 positions up from where you currently are, while you train 2 levels down for your replacement...
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: oh the memories

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds like DHS just finding more things to do, probably hired favored contractors to design the logo or write tracking software and about a 1000 people to push paper around. It's amazing what you can find needs to be done when you have an infinite budget.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Nothing, but the information that is abslutely necessary with the exception of being a voluntary organ donor and any pertinent restrictions to the operation of a vehicle, in my opinion, should go on a driver's licence. I do not trust the motives of the liberals who want to compile all kinds of data into a central data base for our own good. There are very likely times when such information would be good and beneficial, but depending on what information and data is included in such a data base, we could all get our civil and other rights trampled under the right conditions. I hope that another deranged person does not make another attempt on a politician or else the federal government will be knocking on all of our doors seeking involuntary donations. This idiot in Arizona was even a leftist although you probably will not hear that on the MSM.

Top Bottom