HB1231 passes in house- (Centerfire rifles for deer hunting)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    HB 1231, which passed the House, had First Reading in the Senate today. It has been assigned to the Senate Committee on Natural Resources. No date given yet for when the committee will hear the bill.

Senate Committee on Natural Resources - Indiana General Assembly, 2016 Session

The above link also lists all committee members -- in case you want to contact them.

According to the online Senate calendar, in a few weeks we will know whether or not the bill goes to the Governor:

Deadline for Senate committee reports on HBs in Senate is February 25.
    Deadline for 3rd reading of HBs in Senate is March 2.
    Conference committees begin March 3.
    Deadline to adjourn 2016 General Assembly Session is March 14.

Last edited:

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I glanced over this and if I understand correctly this means that I would be able to use a real rifle on my farm....is this correct? That is, IF it passes. I don't understand why this didn't get a hearing when it went the first time making rifles legal for deer hunting. Lots of logic in being able to shoot a coyote with a 50 BMG but can't kill a deer with a 30-30. This would be fine for me, my farm is the only place I hunt anyway.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    According to the online Senate calendar, in a few weeks we will know whether or not the bill goes to the Governor:

Deadline for Senate committee reports on HBs in Senate is February 25.
    Deadline for 3rd reading of HBs in Senate is March 2.
    Conference committees begin March 3.
    Deadline to adjourn 2016 General Assembly Session is March 14.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    While I am for using center fire rifles and even called my Senator to ask him to vote to pass the bill, the logic for being able to shoot coyotes with anything but not deer is not 100% logical as nobody is complaining about the restrictions we have on hunting turkeys, shot gun or bow only? Before everyone jumps on this, I am for using center fire rifles as I have plenty of them to use and do hunt back in PA as well.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Varmint hunters use varmint bullets, are lesser in # than deer hunters and hunt wider areas.
    The fact that I have to keep pointing this out to so many Fudds...............proves that they dont understand rifles or logic as much as they think they do.
    And IMHO those are the types who pose the most danger risk when using "regular rifles".

My beef with HP rifle usage, is with how it will affect hunting.

We already have folks who think the limit for bonus means they should be able to take that limit, per county............yeah, deer are evenly distributed like that.

To a sportsman, the allowance of HP rifle will not change much.
    IMHO the avg deer hunter is no sportsman.
    Sure as hell is not a rifleman or really a gun person.

It'll just be bore sighting other stuff the night before the opener.

Big ground, private...............might not have any effect, the rule change.
    HP rifle is legal, pre hunting season, on nuisance control. But then there's less people doing that.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    Varmint hunters use varmint bullets, are lesser in # than deer hunters and hunt wider areas.
    The fact that I have to keep pointing this out to so many Fudds...............proves that they dont understand rifles or logic as much as they think they do.
    And IMHO those are the types who pose the most danger risk when using "regular rifles".

My beef with HP rifle usage, is with how it will affect hunting.

We already have folks who think the limit for bonus means they should be able to take that limit, per county............yeah, deer are evenly distributed like that.

To a sportsman, the allowance of HP rifle will not change much.
    IMHO the avg deer hunter is no sportsman.
    Sure as hell is not a rifleman or really a gun person.

It'll just be bore sighting other stuff the night before the opener.

Big ground, private...............might not have any effect, the rule change.
    HP rifle is legal, pre hunting season, on nuisance control. But then there's less people doing that.

That is not my point. If I were deer hunting on my property, the rifle that I would grab would be my 45-70 (currently illegal). If I owned one, I could use a 458 SOCOM, which is virtually a ballistic equivalent to a 45-70. It is silly that 2" on a 308 takes me from legal to illegal.

If you gathered that I am interested in taking deer at 1000 yards with a 300 Win Mag, you misunderstood me. I do, however, know a couple guys that have taken deer at 600+ with the .358, so that just further shows that this should be opened up.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    That is not my point. If I were deer hunting on my property, the rifle that I would grab would be my 45-70 (currently illegal). If I owned one, I could use a 458 SOCOM, which is virtually a ballistic equivalent to a 45-70. It is silly that 2" on a 308 takes me from legal to illegal.

If you gathered that I am interested in taking deer at 1000 yards with a 300 Win Mag, you misunderstood me. I do, however, know a couple guys that have taken deer at 600+ with the .358, so that just further shows that this should be opened up.

It's ok. Read the other thread about proposed changes and you will see that he is just being consistent.

Last edited:

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    I think he posts that in a different thread every day... :)

I guess there are some that are feel the blood will run in the streets, and some concerned it will severely decrease the herd. I don't see either. I don't see how Kentucky has any deer left with all the people using 7mm win mags.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Maybe to appease those who are for this very strange case measurement restriction, we could add a clause to the bill requiring bucks to be shot that have from 4.18" main beam to 8.49" main beam with a minimum diameter base of 1.1"

Seems like that would make about as much sense and apply as much logic as the current high-power rifle for everything but deer law.

ben992

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Spencer County
    And Kentucky just set a record harvest -
    OUTDOORS: Kentucky has record deer harvest

How could this be? After years of deer slaughter in KY with HP rifles running rampant, and surely with madmen behind those rifles, how could they have enough deer to set a record harvest???? The answer is obvious. They are Indiana deer terrified that psycho Hoosiers might bust up in the woods with a 30-30. We need to author legislation to make this deer migration illegal. No, that would just be silly.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    While I am for using center fire rifles and even called my Senator to ask him to vote to pass the bill, the logic for being able to shoot coyotes with anything but not deer is not 100% logical as nobody is complaining about the restrictions we have on hunting turkeys, shot gun or bow only? Before everyone jumps on this, I am for using center fire rifles as I have plenty of them to use and do hunt back in PA as well.

I don't know many turkey hunters that wear hunter orange while turkey hunting as deer hunters do while deer hunting. I know even fewer turkey hunters that wish to use a rifle.

Top Bottom