• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Stopped in to Pop's (Family Indoor Shooting Range) and saw they had a nice display of shotgun parts as part of their remodel. The prices seemed reasonable so I picked out three items to start my HD conversion of my Remington 870 Express Magnum. I chose...

ATI 6 position AR style collapsible stock $60
    ATI collapsible stock shell holder $15
    ATI Tri-rail forend $30

Then I stopped by Gander and picked up a sling and went home and started work. An hour of work (took my time), a trip to the store for a big screwdriver, and a busted thumb later (my fault), I was done. I topped it off with a Nebo Protec 190 lumen weapon light from my P95 to try out the rail.

Part II will be deciding what shorter HD barrel I want (18" bead or 20" rifle sight) and a shotgun rated light.

Before...
    shottylp.jpg

After...
    dscn4576p.jpg

I am happy with all the parts, they seem very well made and went together fine, other than I sliced my thumb open on a sharp piece of the plastic forend trying to get it back apart after realizing I was supposed to have removed the little "bridges" they have for shipping reinforcement.

Here is the parts...
    dscn4578a.jpg

dscn4577z.jpg

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Beerman, What has been your experience shooting with the ATI stock?

Is it harder recoil than original? strange sight angles? strange behaviors?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Beerman, What has been your experience shooting with the ATI stock?

Is it harder recoil than original? strange sight angles? strange behaviors?

I'm going to be really honest, I have not shot it since before I had my shoulder surgery and it had an old metal folder on it.

But I've had it up drawn up to my shoulder looking at the sight lines many times practicing dry fires and pumps each and every time I have made a change to it. First when I put the ATI stock on, then when I put the ATI heat shield with ghost sites on and just yesterday when I put the new Houge forend on it.

Sight angles, position seemed just fine to me, but right now I'm not planning on firing that 12 gauge bad boy unless I have to, or if I go buy a Knox recoil reducing stock (same profile as the ATI). I shot my buddies Mossberg 930SPX with both 3 inch magnums and standard 2 3/4 inch shells with 00 buck and my surgically repaired should can't take the beating.:D

Now if I can figure out how to attach something more than a standard AR butt pad cushion to save me money, I'll be all over it.

Sureshot129

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I had an ATI on my 870 and could not get on the bead sight yours looks better but I switched to a Mesa Tactical and it was all better not to mention I can use the same RRA operator stock and MIAD grip that I have on my rifle.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ahh, much better. I was going to ask why you had all that barrel on there. Once you got that swung around you wouldn't have to aim, but there's all that swinging it around to do! Burglars aren't clay pigeons, you know. Need a mag extension next, nudge nudge wink wink. Oh no, you're not done, definitely not done...

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ahh, much better. I was going to ask why you had all that barrel on there. Once you got that swung around you wouldn't have to aim, but there's all that swinging it around to do! Burglars aren't clay pigeons, you know. Need a mag extension next, nudge nudge wink wink. Oh no, you're not done, definitely not done...

The shotgun is the bedroom gun and there is only one place I would take cover and shoot from, which is my side of the bed kneeling on the floor aiming diagonally over the bed towards the door, while my wife would hide underneath.

Barrel length was not a major concern.

Now that the shotgun is hallway friendly, I may expand it's territory a bit.

As for the mag extension, I would love one, however, the gun has the dimples in the mag tube, and while they can be removed, the gun will be used for clays at times, and the 28" barrel does not have a detent ball nor does the cap have dimples. I would have to remove the dimples, drill the 28" barrel's ring, install the ball and spring and replace the cap with a new dimpled cap.

Last edited:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I recently traded for a New Haven 12ga. this is a Mossberg 500 clone. I am going to be using it as a HD gun and want to do some upgrading on it and had a few questions on the barrel / magazine extender relationship. I would prefer a 18.5" barrel and plan to use a ATI heat shield with the ghost ring sights like Indybeerman's. My main question is how would this affect a magazine extender? I will also be using a Knoxx recoil reducing stock with the power pack accessory and side saddle eventually. Any issues with this setup?

Top Bottom