• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I'm looking for something for my wife to use for HD. She's not a "gun person" so I'm thinking shotgun. She's also nervous about recoil so I'm thinking something like a 20 ga.

The idea candidate would be:

20 ga
    semiautomatic is best, pump is acceptable.
    Short but legal barrel.
    Relatively low cost.

If I go with a pump I'm thinking a 20 ga version of the Mossberg 500 that I have would be good but I think she'd do better, or at least feel more confident, with a semiautomatic.

Thougts/suggestions?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Semi auto 20 is an excellent idea. My GF uses a Beretta 303. Light weight great on clays. She is a great shotgunner but at home she uses a light weight AR, Kel Tec folder in 9mm and of course a Glock. She can run any of my 12's if she needs to for HD.

She is tall and athletic but due to an injury light weight guns are best for her. You can get a cheap new Beretta at Walmart but that particular gun is heavier. That is not all bad when it comes to recoil. I have thought about onemore than once BUT....

A used Beretta or Remington would be good guns in 20 gauge semi auto. Remington wins for add on tactical goodies. I think for a novice shotgunner semi is easier than pump

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If I go with a pump I'm thinking a 20 ga version of the Mossberg 500 that I have would be good but I think she'd do better, or at least feel more confident, with a semiautomatic.

How is she built? If you need an extremely small/short gun, Mossberg has a new 20-ga. 500 variant out now called the Mini... 18.5" vent-rib barrel, redesigned short pump arm, and the shortest stock I've ever seen on a shotgun (shorter even than their Bantam youth stocks). When I shouldered the thing, my nose touched the back of the receiver! They include a couple recoil pad spacers so you can extend the LOP by a couple inches.

50485.jpg

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A 20 ga semiauto is an idea worth pursuing. However, watch the weight of the gun. Many 20 ga guns are lighter than their 12 ga counterparts (which is one reason why we have 20 ga guns - easier to carry in the field all day), and that can work against you if you're trying to minimize recoil.

For example, for similar loads, a 20 ga gun that weighs 1 pound less than its 12 ga counterpart will often have a free recoil that is only 1 or 2 foot pounds less than the 12 ga. A full house load in a lighter 20 ga can actually recoil a couple foot pounds more than a similar load in a heavier 12 ga gun. So the difference can be less than you might think. Yes, all things being equal the 20 will kick less, but you have to watch all your variables. All things are seldom equal.

Take a close look at the following table for examples of this:
    SHOTGUN RECOIL TABLE

If minimizing recoil the goal, a pistol caliber carbine is also something to consider. Compared to virtually any 12/20 ga shotgun, their recoil is inconsequential (if you stay in the 9mm/.40S&W/.45acp/.357 magnum range).

Last edited:

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    How much do they run?

How is she built? If you need an extremely small/short gun, Mossberg has a new 20-ga. 500 variant out now called the Mini... 18.5" vent-rib barrel, redesigned short pump arm, and the shortest stock I've ever seen on a shotgun (shorter even than their Bantam youth stocks). When I shouldered the thing, my nose touched the back of the receiver! They include a couple recoil pad spacers so you can extend the LOP by a couple inches.

50485.jpg

emclean

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    porter county (NWI)
    i picked up a used mossberg 500 for $135.

if you can it might be a good idea to borrow diffrent guns till she finds something that she is comfortable with.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you are close enough to come to Crawfordsville, you and/or your wife are welcome to shoot Sean's 20 guage Mossberg 500 Bantam Youth. The short barrel and stock make it handy for use in the house, and the gun is pleasant to shoot. Feel free to dig up as much buck as you wanna try, and give us a holler.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    138.jpg

This is one I originally put together for my wife. She has a few of the same issues. as she does not like recoil so I built this in a 20 from A factory Remington HD and added the trijicon GRS, Knoxx stock and a few other items to it. Since then I have built a couple of other variations for customers and had great feedback.
    With this stock set it allows you to have the adjustable length of pull for multiple users etc. It is also a recoild reducing stock that works well as reduction of recoil.
    The rest of the accessories you may or may not need but a basic HD in 20 with this stock is a great combination for recoil sensitive shooters.
    We actually have the Shotgun in stock at the shop and Ill have to double check but I think we have the Stocks in as well.
    Ron

143.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    This is one I originally put together for my wife. She has a few of the same issues. as she does not like recoil so I built this in a 20 from A factory Remington HD and added the trijicon GRS, Knoxx stock and a few other items to it. Since then I have built a couple of other variations for customers and had great feedback.
    With this stock set it allows you to have the adjustable length of pull for multiple users etc. It is also a recoild reducing stock that works well as reduction of recoil.
    The rest of the accessories you may or may not need but a basic HD in 20 with this stock is a great combination for recoil sensitive shooters.
    We actually have the Shotgun in stock at the shop and Ill have to double check but I think we have the Stocks in as well.
    Ron

What would this gun cost?

Top Bottom