• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Our local Big R has a very nice sale on HD shotguns this month. They have both the Mossburg Persuader and the Remington 870 for a very good price respectively...I am looking for honest opinions on both from owners of such. These are just the basic gun, no bells or whistles, lights, flares, slings, bi-pods ect...just the basic platform...

Any opinions will be welcome..:patriot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have owned both. While the Mossberg 500 is a perfectly decent gun, the 870 is much easier to work on if/when you decide to personalize/customize/upgrade. And its forearm doesn't rattle nearly as much as the 500's does.

IME, the hierarchy of Remington & Mossberg shotguns is this:

Remington 870P (or older Wingmaster) -> Mossberg 590/590A1 -> Remington 870 Express -> Mossberg 500

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a Mossberg 500 and I really like it. I have noticed a bit of a wobble in the forearm, but it seems to just be the nature of the beast. I have found it to be reliable and extremely durable. I was also told that the "wobble" or looseness in the forearm helps keep the moving parts of the shotgun working efficiently.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    both are excellent choices but personally i go with remington 870. in my experience its easier to add aftermarket parts. on a mossberg i like the safety position with a straight stock, if you add a pistol grip stock its better for a remington. i have a remington 870 12 gauge with knoxx stock, mesa 6 shot sidesaddle, S&J no jam follower and a 1shot extenstion and its perfect for me.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    If they are both the same price, I'd go with the Remington. But, I'm not really much of a shotgun guy. I use a handgun for home defense, and only have one shotgun, a Maverick 88 security model. I put a pistol grip stock on it, and a sidesaddle shell holder. I also have a rail with an old M6 light on it. Honestly, I just got it to have a shotgun. It will only be fired a couple of times a year, cleaned and put back in the safe. If I was using a shotgun for heavy duty, I'd go with a Remington, but the Mav 88 works fine for light duty, and didn't cost much. It's basically a Mossberg 500 budget model. The Remington or Mossberg models might be more durable in a severe environment, but I think that the Mav 88 will do anything that I need a shotgun to do. Zombies won't know the difference. :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Both are extremely well tested dependable firearms - you really cannot go wrong. I prefer the 870's, however I grew up with the 870's. Many people love the Mossberg's, and you might as well be asking if an AR-15 or AK-47 are superior weapon systems. I agree with shooter521's hierarchy of models. Since I am bored I will list some differences.

Remington mills their receivers from a block of steel, while Mossberg uses aluminum alloy. Remington will have a more durable receiver, while the Mossberg will be lighter.

Mossberg has it's safety located on the top of the receiver, while the 870 safety is at the rear of the trigger guard. Most people prefer the safety location of the Mossberg (especially lefties). I would prefer the location on the 870 if it were a pistol grip style shotgun, but many would still disagree with me.

The 870's slide release is found in front of the trigger guard on the left side. The Mossberg's slide release is found to the rear of the trigger guard, to the right. Again, most people favor the Mossberg's location.

The Mossberg has two shell extractors, while the 870 has one. People claim two is advantageous.

Some older 870's have a long slide, and mounting a side saddle is more of a pain. Most newer versions have a smaller slide (not an issue), and I have also seen people cut a notch in the longer slide to solve this problem.

The shell lifter on the 870 seats in the down position until the slide is retracted. The Mossberg's shell lifter is the opposite. Most people would agree that the Mossberg's magazine is easier to load because of this.

Modern runs of the 870 Express have dimples in the end of the magazine. These have to be dealt with if you want to install an extension - however most versions other than the Express (Police, Marine) do not have the dimples. Because how the Mossberg 500 is designed, generally you have to change barrels to use a longer magazine. The 590 and 590A1 employs a different style magazine, and magazine extensions can be installed. You can tell if a magazine extension will be easily attached to a Mossberg by looking at the end of the magazine - if it can screw off, an extension can be easily attached.

Some of the Mossberg variants that have bayonet lugs must be modified to make room for mounting lights. Minor issue, but bugs some people.

Like many have noted, the Mossberg's generally have a bit more "rattle" to them.

Last edited:

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Dunhams, had defensive shot guns on sale about a month ago, I went in to get the 590, but after handling it, and then a Remington 870 express tactical, I left with the Remington it just felt like higher quality, and the action was much smoother, plus it was $50 cheaper.

So far I love the Remington, this is my first pump gun, and it is a blast to shoot.

beevans

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Speedway
    I bought a 590A1 today based on the locations of the safety and slide release. Felt like it would be quicker/easier to operate under stress.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I prefer the 870 because of everything already mentioned ,super durable & smooth cycling.Ive shot a few Mossbergs over the years & the advantage they have is better control placement , still a formidable defense weapon.Hold them both,put them to your shoulder & decide which feels better to you

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    870 is the only way to go....I have owned both but prefer the 870 for feel and function. I have sent thousands of rounds through both and had less problems with the 870. Also as some of the former posts have stated the 500 is noisy.....they have a lot of slop in the front slide that makes a lot of noise in the field.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Older Ithaca, new Winchester/FNH (older Winchester as individuals), Mossberg, older High Standard, Benneli, Browning, Stoeger, H&R, Weatherby, and Remington.

There are some great older shotguns sitting in homes as family heirlooms, that have served for protection and putting food on the table for families without fail for many years. Maybe not new, tacticool, or pretty, but still capable.

Single shot, double barrel, over & under, rifle/shotgun over and under combination, bolt action, automatic, and pump. Take your pick and you should. If you can operate it effectively and safely with 100 % reliability, use it.

A shot gun is devastating and effective at close inside the castle range, irregardless of its type of platform.

A shot gun does not need to be new either. When I pass or before, I have (3) shotguns that will serve my remaining family members and descendants with the same reliability, they served me for protection, sport, and hunting.

Hunting and sport shotguns can serve very well in the defense role also. Don't overlook a good acquisiton by placing all shot guns in the HD "tacticool" stereo type.

The best HD shotgun question gets asked alot. There have been great ideas and suggestions on this topic.

Maybe reminding posters of our shotgun picture sticky can also be helpful. They can see, what we are talking about. There are some great shot gun pictures there, and quite a variety.

As always, good luck with your decision and choice.

Last edited:

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I personally own a Mossberg 500 Cruiser 8 Shot (7+1). I love this shotgun dearly :-D

It comes with a pistol grip, and heat shield over the top part of the barrel. I have done alot of after market work to mine which I personally like as the after market items were not that expensive and installation was really easy.

I handled both the 870 and 500 before I took the 500, mostly due to weight. For home defense I wanted something that was easily maneuverable, and the location of the safety and slide release was a issue for "me".

Now when getting a shotgun for home defense, just make sure you get something you can move through your home with, and is easy for YOU to handle. If this is going to be a self-defense weapon, make sure you can work it in any situation as this is whats going to save your life.

Now I fully agree with Alan about any shotgun can be a home defense weapon, and this is very true. Any firearm can be a good home defense weapon. Just make sure you are familiar with it, and you like how it handles as this is something you should practice with a lot if you want it to save your life one day.

Top Bottom