• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Beretta 1201 FP with factory pistol grip buttstock has been my main choice for a long time. For HD I have often thought of times when my racking hand might be busy doing something else. Although an 870 is tucked away in my garage and loaded with 000 buck, I am comfortable and proficient with each type. But I think if I had to choose just one, it would be a semi-auto.

I abandoned side saddles long ago. they make the shottie too heavy and harder to maneuver. FWIW. JMO.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Mossberg Persuader with a Streamlight TLR-1. I don't load it because everybody knows the sound of operating the slide will scare away any bad guy who hears it. Or maybe that's 12 gauge managed recoil 00 buck, I'm not sure which.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for all the replies fellas! I looked at a Mossberg 500 that was real nice and wasn't real expensive either. Also looked at an 870 Remington that was just sweet! the Mossberg being a little cheaper. There was a Remington 11-87 that I really wanted along with a 930 JM Pro but I'm just not sure how I feel about a semi-auto for HD and the reliability of it if a HD situation was needed.....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the replies fellas! I looked at a Mossberg 500 that was real nice and wasn't real expensive either. Also looked at an 870 Remington that was just sweet! the Mossberg being a little cheaper. There was a Remington 11-87 that I really wanted along with a 930 JM Pro but I'm just not sure how I feel about a semi-auto for HD and the reliability of it if a HD situation was needed.....

Personally Steve I don't worry about autoloader and reliability. I grew up with them and it takes a lot to induce any kind of malfunction with the shotguns our family had. The only time I have ever had an issue was with my Beretta after about 10 rounds of Trap(250 shells) the bolt wouldn't lock back. A good cleaning of the "black ooze" restored it to full functionality.

But YOU have to have confidence in the gun in the end.

BTW, our shotgun inventory was Beretta AL-2 Magnum, Remington 11-87, Remington 1100, Browning A5. We were not a Mossberg family.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I currently have a Browing A5 that was my dads I really like the gun but I try not to shoot it much. I really like the 11-87 Remington's may have to take another look at those...

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    "The big three" (Rem 870, Moss 500/590, Win 12/1300) are wonderful choices. And pretty much any other modern shotgun will do the job. The one thing I'll caution against is one of those really cool slings that holds 15 rounds. It makes the gun almost unmanageable when it swings back and forth. A side saddle doesn't bother me for extra ammo but the 870 top folder I keep beside the couch has slick sides and a bandoleer right beside it. I keep it loaded with PDX and then have an assortment - from slugs to rubber bullets, powder rounds, dragon's breath, etc. - in the bandoleer for whatever's needed.

That one is for when I'm peacefully sitting there watching Bones in the middle of the afternoon and meth enthusiasts decide to bust through my door. Or when I hear shouts and scuffles right outside my door. Options.

Theres a shotty with a bayonet!? I want one!
    I have a Mossberg 590A1 that sports a M-9 bayonet. That's my "fighting shotgun." I really like it for HD because some people may not think you'll shoot them but they still don't enjoy getting poked with sharp sticks.

the only time I've ever jumped out of bed thinking someone was trying to get into the house (large tree fell, partially on the front porch), I grabbed my Ruger SR45.
    Same here. Ex-wife's cat knocked a plate off the cabinet and instead of grabbing the gigantic shotgun next to the bed I grabbed my EDC .45 on the nightstand. Self-assigned AAR after that one.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Plain Jane 18" 870 Wingmaster here. I have found myself over the last month or so moving away from the shotgun and gravitating towards the AR for HD

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    Just a plain old Remington 870. Added an 18" barrel instead of the 26" barrel it originally came with. And of course got the HD handgun as well for back-up. Not many mods to this gun just yet.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I have the 870 home defense with the ghost ring sights and 20 inch barrel. Gun is smooth and takes screw in chokes which I like. Probably the best investment i made though in the gun was the ammo. I watched some videos on this round https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/951...2-3-4-15-pellet-flitecontrol-1-buck-shot.html

Purchased some and the pattern the flight control wad produces is amazing. My cheap 00 buck shot remington 8 pellets at 20 yards were lucky to have all 8 hit the silhouette. This puts all 15 pellets in a paper plate circle. At close range your looking at a coke can circle. Really great confidence if yo need to ever put it in the center chest of someone in your home to know where it will hit and where it won't spray and possible hit a loved one.
    t spray.

DCowboysCR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 10, 2017
    Greenwood
    I had an old Benelli M1 Super 90, ghost ring sights, mags one tube extension, Surefire dedicated flashlight fore end. Best shotgun I ever owned! Unfortunately, as always bills piled up and it had to go.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011

Along those lines I have an SBR AR with light, a Glock .40 with light, and since the OP asked about shotguns, a Mossberg 500 12g (18.5" breacher barrel) with light. Different problems deserve different solutions.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Remington 870

Left: is an 870P with 18" IC barrel, Wilson ghost ring and XS front sight, Wilson +2 magazine w/ Wilson follower, SpeedFeed youth stock, Ellzetta light mount w/ Streamlight polytach, Aires gear Velcro shot shell card, 1.25" nylon sling

Right: 870 magnum, 18" cylinder ported barrel, full length SpeedFeed stock with the nice butt pad, aluminum follower, extra power mag spring, heavy dog carrier spring, non-MIM extractor, Aires Gear shot shell card. I do have a 26" IC field barrel for this gun as well.

Ammo: Federal reduced recoil flight control 00 buck or Federal Trueball slugs. The Fiocchi aeroslug and reduced recoil 00 buck shoot well.

IMG_0531_sRGB_zpskxjhaoxl.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For some reason I've been on somewhat of a shotgun kick. What do some of you guys have setup for Home Defense shotguns. I'm looking at putting something together for keeping around the house in a 20ga and just looking for some ideas as to what works and what don't as far as setups go....

Lots of different things to consider. Remember, guns are like hand tools or golf clubs. First, define your problem.

Point defense of home and hearth? Easy, double barrel shotgun with exposed hammers, the lupara. Load the weapon and all springs are relaxed. Get a butt cuff and I like a sling. You are all set without any of the Timmy Tactical crap of the Gun Shop Commando models out there today.

Maybe a single shot, like a NEF or H&R? $100 at a pawn shop. Maybe a big bead up front. Sling, butt cuff and learn to load from the fingers of your support hand and your mouth.

Maybe you want something more than point defense? Moving forward with the gun maybe? 870 with a light and sling. I like a side saddle as one of the trade offs of the platform is the lower ammo capacity.

Mine are Scattergun Technologies (yes, I'm old, deal with it) 870s, the FBI Model, but I also have a Border Patrol model.

Pattern your guns at distances that you will be shooting inside your house. Remember, that most likely you will have a big rifle at the ranges involved. (They will be bad breath close).

EDIT: you will want to cover your muzzle to keep debris out of it. If you use condoms, replace with every 3 months as they degrade. I have found ziplock baggies and carpet tape work best.

20160224_203932_zpshvyvpsmw.jpg

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thanks for all the info fellas. Defiantly gives me a few points to mull over. If I don't end up finding a 11-87 I think I'm going to go with a standard 870 more than likely. I did however end up putting a TriStar Raptor ATAC in 12ga on layaway to review for my channel and to play with a little bit in the Run-N-Gun this year, So I'm interested to see how well they work. However I don't think it will lend itself to serving HD duties....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I had an 870 by my bed for many years, but now it lives in the back of the safe. I'm far more proficient with a pistol than a shotgun under pressure.

Top Bottom