• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I used to use DBAN to do a DOD wipe x3 on drives I was getting rid of. I tried to recover data from them, but wasn't able to. I also never sent them off to a professional data recovery place to try either.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Hard drive platters make EXCELLENT signal mirrors.

Use a program to triple over write the data then take them apart and put one cloth wrapped platter in each bug out bag.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hard drive platters make EXCELLENT signal mirrors.

[STRIKE]Use a program to triple over write the data then[/STRIKE] take them apart and put one cloth wrapped platter in each bug out bag.

FIFY. If you are taking them apart, just pass a magnet over the platters when you have it apart. That'll do it. 30 seconds per side with a magnet is MUCH faster than a program. :):

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    That kind of data recovery costs thousands and goes up from there. Worth every penny if there was top secret information that needs recovered or a company's financials... personally I don't have anything on any of my computers that would be worth that kind of expense.

not true. I can pull a single or double wiped hardrive in however long it takes to save the data to another drive. All for free.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    FIFY. If you are taking them apart, just pass a magnet over the platters when you have it apart. That'll do it. 30 seconds per side with a magnet is MUCH faster than a program. :):

No no, you see, you have to write zeroes on the drive in order to truly wipe it.

So take the platter out... get a really fine-tipped pen... and draw a bunch of 0's all over it.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville

anyone good can re assemble the plates, the. Use ways to find with bits use to be 1 or 0 then rewrite FTW based on traces of magnetism. THIS does take more time. But can be a bought service. For a price. Time or money, your choice.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    not true. I can pull a single or double wiped hardrive in however long it takes to save the data to another drive. All for free.

I've done the same (I usually charge a little, but not much since it is easy work and most of it does not require me to be actually at the computer). I meant after some of the multipass wiping programs, usually 7 passes is DOD standard if I remember correctly. But that was years ago and they may have upped the standards now. Even physical damage can be overcome by the big time professionals. But like I said... nothing I have is important enough warrant the kind of money places like Drive Savers charges.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Sounds like I am going to head out to the range with a tarp and do some ballistics testing.

I don't have anything illegal on the drives. Just don't like the idea of someone else getting any of my info because I left it on an unsecured drive.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No no, you see, you have to write zeroes on the drive in order to truly wipe it.

So take the platter out... get a really fine-tipped pen... and draw a bunch of 0's all over it.

Nonsense. I'm drawing 1s. Much faster.

Sounds like I am going to head out to the range with a tarp and do some ballistics testing.

I don't have anything illegal on the drives. Just don't like the idea of someone else getting any of my info because I left it on an unsecured drive.
    Then you qualify for the "hit it once with a hammer on the circuit board" method. as long as the board and/or connectors are toast, its beyond what a casual tinkerer will try.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think it really comes down to who might want to reassemble the data and how badly they want to get at the information. Also they need to know to look for the disk and why they want to spend lots of money and time accessing the data. For any of my drives I rely on physical destruction and then disposal where no one would look, like wrapped inside a stinky diaper.

At work when disposing of computers I simply pull the hard drives and they take up nominal space in the grand scheme of storing things. Every so often I will have our paper shredding company pick up a box of hard drives and destroy them. They have a certified method for destruction/disposal. As a reminder at work most copiers have a hard drive so be sure to remove the hard drive before trading in or disposing of your copier.

I looked for the Iranians doing this with embassy documents but this photo popped up as an illustration of time/money can recreate lots of data.

wash-connect-shreds-1.jpg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    This 100%

I am not up to anything illegal, and if I were, I sure wouldn't put it on a hard drive that would be removed for an upgrade or failure and simply toss it in the trash. I don't have a lot of money, but my financial information, logins, taxes, stuff like that lives on my system and gets backed up. If I had to replace that hard drive, it would become a target or get disassembled and the platters hammered. Of course solid state drives change everything there. When I retire my SSD, it will be destroyed in a way that will make Hillary jealous, not wiped with a cloth...

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    We shred our drives at work, Purdue University, when they die or no longer wanted. I know Oscar Winski has an e-recycling center here in Lafayette. For a minimal charge they will shred your drives.

Top Bottom