• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Well, it's definitely true that folks that would not have previously been hired are hired now. Sometimes it's changes that don't really affect anything but tradition. Visible tattoos, for example. I have no idea what the testing process is like now. There used to be height requirements, those died long ago. You can definitely be fatter now that you used to be.
    I don’t wish to derail this thread but do have a question. My observations are that there are more and more police officers who have visible tattoos - some even to full sleeve versions. Is this because they were in the military before entering law enforcement ? Is this a generational thing ?
    Even in my little white bread town our local PD have multiple visible tattoos showing while in uniform. I’ve yet to see one with tats all the way up to their neck or on their face, but im guessing there’s nothing to prevent that as well.
    Why the sudden infatuation and display with body art amount law enforcement ?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Is this a generational thing ?
    This is what I think it is. I work in a professional environment and I've noticed even younger (okay, so most are younger than me!) professionals, but especially women, that have visible tattoos. I've never gotten a tattoo, and never had the desire to do so.

I mean, I might want to commit a heinous crime someday, and who needs the extra identifying marks?? :):

But seriously, I wouldn't have any idea what to have tattooed on me. I mean, I know the general rule, Never have a woman's name tattooed on you unless it's "Mom". But I can't think of anything that I'm willing to commit to having on my skin forever when it comes to "art".

On women, depending on where it's put, that cute little pic of a butterfly might start looking like a giraffe someday, if you know what I mean.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    This is what I think it is. I work in a professional environment and I've noticed even younger (okay, so most are younger than me!) professionals, but especially women, that have visible tattoos. I've never gotten a tattoo, and never had the desire to do so.

I mean, I might want to commit a heinous crime someday, and who needs the extra identifying marks?? :):

But seriously, I wouldn't have any idea what to have tattooed on me. I mean, I know the general rule, Never have a woman's name tattooed on you unless it's "Mom". But I can't think of anything that I'm willing to commit to having on my skin forever when it comes to "art".

On women, depending on where it's put, that cute little pic of a butterfly might start looking like a giraffe someday, if you know what I mean.
    1627340759497.jpeg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Like those anti-smoking adds that showed cancer riddled lungs that were surgically removed, there should be anti-tattoo ads that show what tattoos look like on 50 and 60 year old bodies - preferably before and after pics

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Like those anti-smoking adds that showed cancer riddled lungs that were surgically removed, there should be anti-tattoo ads that show what tattoos look like on 50 and 60 year old bodies - preferably before and after pics

There were some great memes that used to be posted like this but have not seen them in a long time...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is this because they were in the military before entering law enforcement ? Is this a generational thing ?
    Even in my little white bread town our local PD have multiple visible tattoos showing while in uniform. I’ve yet to see one with tats all the way up to their neck or on their face, but im guessing there’s nothing to prevent that as well.
    Why the sudden infatuation and display with body art amount law enforcement ?

Maybe they were military, maybe not. There is an infatuation with it among the demographics that tend to be cops, so if you want to widen your hiring pool you let them in.

My granddad had tattoos on his arms and hands. USMC WW2 and Korean War veteran, and his were mostly military related. VE day Eagle, for example. He had "LOVE" and "HATE" tattoo'd across the knuckles of his hands, but it wasn't really legible in his old age. I have tattoos, but they are covered by a short sleeve Class B shirt by design.

As far as regretting tattoos when you're older, that's not really an issue if you get tattoos you like or that mean something to you.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Maybe they were military, maybe not. There is an infatuation with it among the demographics that tend to be cops, so if you want to widen your hiring pool you let them in.

My granddad had tattoos on his arms and hands. USMC WW2 and Korean War veteran, and his were mostly military related. VE day Eagle, for example. He had "LOVE" and "HATE" tattoo'd across the knuckles of his hands, but it wasn't really legible in his old age. I have tattoos, but they are covered by a short sleeve Class B shirt by design.

As far as regretting tattoos when you're older, that's not really an issue if you get tattoos you like or that mean something to you.

To me there is a difference between tats of celebration or memorial and the body art phenomenon...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    To me there is a difference between tats of celebration or memorial and the body art phenomenon...

I'm still old school enough that I don't care for any tattoos above the collar bone, but otherwise I don't really care. That doesn't mean I won't laugh at you if I think it's ridiculous (if you are the dude with the tattoo made to look like a dolphin was in the process of jumping out from between your butt cheeks and on to your back, and a guy behind you in line at the water slide was laughing so hard he almost fell down the stairs, that was me and yes it was about you.)

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm still old school enough that I don't care for any tattoos above the collar bone, but otherwise I don't really care. That doesn't mean I won't laugh at you if I think it's ridiculous (if you are the dude with the tattoo made to look like a dolphin was in the process of jumping out from between your butt cheeks and on to your back, and a guy behind you in line at the water slide was laughing so hard he almost fell down the stairs, that was me and yes it was about you.)

And like you I just don't care what people do to themselves. I would definitely laugh at that...

Fredj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Florida
    but....the premise of self responsibiltily (and by extension, self preservation) says "don't do stupid s*** and stupid s*** won't happen to you".

no matter what (current) public opinion, the law, or PC says, you are stupid if you challenge a m*****f****r with a gun.
    Agreed. We pay LE, FD, Military personnel to put themselves in harm's way because it contradicts our instinct for self preservation. If someone voluntarily pokes the bear, it his personal choice and responsibility.

Fredj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Florida
    What makes no sense to me is, if somebody REALLY believes the police are out to find an excuse to murder them just because of the color of their skin, WHY would they hand the police an excuse on a silver platter to murder them by resisting and fighting them?
    While it seems to be a given in most circles that LE is biased if not outright racist, I don't see anyone asking why. Are only biased, latent racists hired? Could it be that the bias is learned, experiential behavior? This seems to me a fundamental issue that has not been explored.

Top Bottom