• ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Did you mean "DA bullet feeder"?

Awesome, and once you get ti setup, feel free to ask any questions you might have about operation of said device. You are going to love it!!! Congratulations once again, and welcome to the "Blue Club"!

No, case feeder. They have a cheap 60 dollar rotary case feeder like Lee's. Only problem is it doesn't have the 'nice' funnel like the lee does. bought it on a whim. Think I may send it back as I plan to get the Dillon feeder(like everyone else) when I sell the Lee.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/mini-xl650-case-feeder?osCsid=dc3bb02f44e395dffe6faea0acbbe9b6

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Press is 90% set up. Installed the inline fabrication light kit. Looks awesome.

Seems to work ok. Only thing I am not quite sure about is the crimping die. I hope its set up right....but sure can't feel when its crimping due to the design. I will have to keep working on it...

Snap2.jpg

Last edited:

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I disagree about the powder level sensor. Any safety device that can be added to help with the process is a good idea.

I agree. Its installed now and buzzing as I go.

I also agree 100% here, and glad you went with the power check die.

I went a slightly different route and went with the RCBS lock-out die. Rather than buzz, the RCBS lock out die actually STOPS the press from functioning. You can't ignore it even if you wanted to, and it detects over-fills as well as under-fills. Genius design honestly.

Here it is over at Midway, and there is even a video of it in operation if you go to that tab down in the description:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    No, case feeder. They have a cheap 60 dollar rotary case feeder like Lee's. Only problem is it doesn't have the 'nice' funnel like the lee does. bought it on a whim. Think I may send it back as I plan to get the Dillon feeder(like everyone else) when I sell the Lee.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/mini-xl650-case-feeder?osCsid=dc3bb02f44e395dffe6faea0acbbe9b6

Well, I'll be darned. I've never seen that before. I should have searched before making a fool of myself!!! :dunno:

I can certainly vouch for the Dillon version as can most people that use them, but I think they are up around ~$225-$250 range somewhere, which is significantly more than the DAA version. You also have to buy multiple feed plates for different sized shells. I have one for 9 mm and one for .45 so far.

vangurley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2017
    Valparaiso
    Stepped up today and bought a Dillon 650 with a few goodies to go with it for my USPSA 9 mm loading. Can't wait to get it set up. Look for my old Loadmaster to hit the For Sales soon.

Anyway, just had to share...Merry Christmas to me!

Congratulations!!! Just got my XL650 going 2 weeks ago. Been non stop making “gold”. Plus I’m really enjoying it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'll play. I just sprung (Brownells free shipping) for the Inline Fabrication Skylight for my 650. I need to run a few thousand rounds to see if I can rattle it loose, but so far so good.

It sure lights things up. No more struggling to see the charge in every case at the darker hours of the day.

I have a couple more additions to the 650 laying around that Doublehelix thinks I needed. :) I need to get to loading...

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    87iroc, any updates on the press?
    Likes, dislikes or anything you would do differently if you were to do it over again?

Sorry, just caught this.

I loaded about 50 rounds right after I got it set up. Took them to the range to confirm 'function'...but haven't touched it since other than to install a roller handle(found an extra few bucks just after the new year so I snapped up a roller handle).

Started a house project over Christmas and haven't had time to mess with it again.

That said, that 50 rounds I loaded was awesome. Smooooooooooth. I haven't even used the Double Alpha Acadamy rotary case feeder yet. Its full, set up, just haven't pulled the handle.

I installed(as I may have said upthread) the light kit from Inline. Its awesome. I am not sure I ever got the package I ordered with the detent ball and spring...need to check.

Yah, things have been that crazy.

I must say, that 50 rounds I loaded was very quick.

One thing I find odd is the primer loader. I like the tube, its fine. But I thought these tubes used to have a clip that held the primers in. Mine don't have a hole to put the clips through...but this one doesn't. It came with a clip though. <shrug>

Yah, like this. Maybe I'm oblivious to the hole. I'll have to go look at it.

2495608_02_dillon_large_primer_pick_up_tu_640.jpg

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    One end of the primer pickup tube has a green or yellow tip on it. The other end should have a transparent blue plastic end on it with the clip. I’m not sure you could fit max capacity of primers in the tube if you drilled a hole in it like the picture.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    One end of the primer pickup tube has a green or yellow tip on it. The other end should have a transparent blue plastic end on it with the clip. I’m not sure you could fit max capacity of primers in the tube if you drilled a hole in it like the picture.

OK. I had spare caps too. I'll have to take a look at it.

Like I said. Loaded 50 but haven't spent much time perfecting it. I figured I' was missing something.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I also agree 100% here, and glad you went with the power check die.

I went a slightly different route and went with the RCBS lock-out die. Rather than buzz, the RCBS lock out die actually STOPS the press from functioning. You can't ignore it even if you wanted to, and it detects over-fills as well as under-fills. Genius design honestly.

Here it is over at Midway, and there is even a video of it in operation if you go to that tab down in the description:

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Agree 1,000% on the powder check. All progressives should use them. I use the Dillon, but I've used the rcbs before and it's excellent. With the Dillon, you just need to check all the buzzers before you start to make sure the batteries aren't dead. Running out of primers one not knowing it kinda sucks.

The pick up tubes used to have a hole in them. A long time ago they switched to the blue cap which has a hole to insert the clip.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Picked up a case feeder from Bobcat today and installed it. Loaded 75 rds or so in about 10 min. Loving it.

I also received 'free' 5 primer tubes from a friend at work and bought an in line fabrication 'rack' for them from Bobcat today.

The Double Alpha Academy rotary case feeder. 70 dollar low cost option. I don't know if it was user error or what(I'm guessing it was) but after about 5 rounds, it tumbled off the top of the press and scattered 150ish cases around the garage floor. I just went to town, though. I think if you used it...you'd probably be best off pushing it down on its mount every 25 rounds or so. My guess is it got dislodged in last 6 weeks its just sat there due to a remodeling project and I was in too big a hurry to empty it to get the new case feeder on...and it was far from optimally set up

I ordered one of those detent balls from Alaska. Pretty sure i never received it. May have gotten it and our house ate it...but I didn't see it out there tonight. It should have showed up around Christmas holidays.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Got the detent ball btw. Just came in in the 'craze' and I threw it and forgot about it on the bench. I have loaded 300 or so rounds through it. Loving it more.

Looking at other options up thread and reminded myself how to shut off cases with a 38 spcl case. Overall, like it very much.&nbsp;

Question: Case Feeder: I just dumped about 1000 cases in it and it locked up on me(clutch started slipping). What is the normal case load for that thing? I skimmed the manual and didn't see anything. Bowl is huge...so was surprised it was struggling as it wasn't over 1/3 full.&nbsp; Talking about Dillon feeder now and I never touched the clutch and didn't use the spacer washer. It said int he manual you shouldn't have to touch it if you don't use that spacer.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Got the detent ball btw. Just came in in the 'craze' and I threw it and forgot about it on the bench. I have loaded 300 or so rounds through it. Loving it more.

Looking at other options up thread and reminded myself how to shut off cases with a 38 spcl case. Overall, like it very much.&nbsp;

Question: Case Feeder: I just dumped about 1000 cases in it and it locked up on me(clutch started slipping). What is the normal case load for that thing? I skimmed the manual and didn't see anything. Bowl is huge...so was surprised it was struggling as it wasn't over 1/3 full.&nbsp; Talking about Dillon feeder now and I never touched the clutch and didn't use the spacer washer. It said int he manual you shouldn't have to touch it if you don't use that spacer.

I had a Hornady Progressive LnL and now have a Dillon 650 - both with case feeders. Neither case feeder liked having more than a couple hundred empty cases. I only reload 9mm so other cases, .223, might have an even greater impact in case feeder function.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    A separate issue/question for 650 owners. I “assumed” if there was no case in the second position on the shell plate ( prime and powder station ) the press would not drop a powder charge. However, attempts at adjusting the die according to the steps in the manual haven’t resolved the problem for me. I’ve looked in the instruction manual to determine if my theory about how the powder die should work, but don’t see anything referring to no powder drop without a case in position.

So, am I correct that the press shouldn’t be dropping powder ? If so, what should I be double checking ?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    A separate issue/question for 650 owners. I “assumed” if there was no case in the second position on the shell plate ( prime and powder station ) the press would not drop a powder charge. However, attempts at adjusting the die according to the steps in the manual haven’t resolved the problem for me. I’ve looked in the instruction manual to determine if my theory about how the powder die should work, but don’t see anything referring to no powder drop without a case in position.

So, am I correct that the press shouldn’t be dropping powder ? If so, what should I be double checking ?

Sounds like the powder drop die is screwed in to far and on the up stroke the funnel is being push up on the shell plate ** my guess without seeing it**

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

Yeah, that is crazy and should not be happening. Are you sure you have the die assembled properly? There is an insert in the die that gets pushed up to activate the dispenser mechanism. Do you have the correct size (caliber) insert in there? Like @red_zr24x4 mentions, maybe the die is setup too low and is being triggered by the shellplate. Still shouldn't be happening though... Hmmmmmm... Call Dillon for sure. They are very helpful.

Top Bottom