• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know...well, I would hope it would not be intentional, but have any of you seasoned hunters ever experienced someone unintentionally taking a deer with a head shot? I watch a lot of hunting shows and of course their shots are always on target. But, have you seen a newbie jerk the trigger, have the gun zeroed incorrectly, or the deer moves at the very last millisecond and is taken with a head shot?

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    When I was a teenager, my Uncle took me on my first deer hunt. I shot a small 4 pointer and it was a bad shot, in the gut. We tracked it for about 3 hours until we found it in a thicket at the bottom of a ravine. It was curled up with it's head tucked in. So being young and this being my first deer hunt, I thought, if I shoot it in the head it won't run away again. Yup, got it right above the eye with a 12 gauge......messy.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I know...well, I would hope it would not be intentional, but have any of you seasoned hunters ever experienced someone unintentionally taking a deer with a head shot? I watch a lot of hunting shows and of course their shots are always on target. But, have you seen a newbie jerk the trigger, have the gun zeroed incorrectly, or the deer moves at the very last millisecond and is taken with a head shot?

To answer the question, no. However your observation as to the shots on hunting shows always being on target is not always true. Recently I watched several shows where you can clearly see shots well off target on deer and they never tell you the consequences. The most memorable was a clear gut shot and the young hunter yelling out "Did I hit him?" Answer, "yeah, great shot" Come on man.....Of course they didn't show anything else except for the hunters standing around the kill.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    When a show jumps from the shot to the quarry you can almost be it was not a clean kill. If it was they would be proud to show you how far the animal did not go after the hit.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I had a friend in high school that used to brag about always shooting does in the head instead of the "kill zone". I guess he thought it made him cool. Whether or not actually did take deer like this, I dont know, but its what he said.

I have taken a shot when I was younger when my piece of junk Tasco red dot was apparently knocked waaay off. I was aiming center mass but just missed the head, and was lucky enough to hit it in the throat, going through the spine. Dropped it where it stood, but needless to say, that red dot was never used again.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I had a friend in high school that used to brag about always shooting does in the head instead of the "kill zone". I guess he thought it made him cool. Whether or not actually did take deer like this, I dont know, but its what he said.

I have taken a shot when I was younger when my piece of junk Tasco red dot was apparently knocked waaay off. I was aiming center mass but just missed the head, and was lucky enough to hit it in the throat, going through the spine. Dropped it where it stood, but needless to say, that red dot was never used again.

One of my coworkers is the same way. Seems to think it's the 'cool' way to shoot a deer. :dunno:

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    I know a guy who has done this intentionally to two does. I would not recommend this but he said that they do not run very far. While I do believe this to be true I will continue to aim for the lungs/heart. To answer your question no I have never seen anyone do this unintentionally. I doubt the person who does this would admit to his hunting buddies or other hunters that he did not mean to take a head shot.

twsulli54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Avon
    I have seen and used neck shots with a gun on does several times. Although only when they are comfortably close enough. Drops them instantly. I personally enjoy deer ribs slow cooked in the crock pot and this shot allows for undamaged meat in this area.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I always aim for COM or just behind the shoulder. I have a strong distaste for bad shots. I refuse to take a questionable shot let alone a bad shot. Example: I had a 40-50 yard shot on a very nice 8 pointer about 150-160 inch a couple of years ago. The bad part was that all I had was either a neck shot or the upper half of the vitals. I didn't have rest and I was caught off guard and couldn't lean aginst a tree. I passed on the shot. At this time I hadn't got a buck yet. I know I made the right call passing on it. It would have been bigger than the buck that went on my wall later that season. ALWAYS take the ethical shot. A wounded animal is not good for anyone/animal involved.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I took a deer with a headshot from a 12 gauge when I was about 14. He was running towards the tree I was in from 12 o clock. I took a shot at his high chest area and he stuck his head out as I shot. It hit him below the eye, above the nose and the slug went down through his neck into his chest.

Not to be comical, but he was running full bore and it was like God hit him with a sledge hammer, his head slammed into the ground and he went end over end.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Cousin of mine was bowhunting and as he shot, the doe reached back to lick herself and he brained her with an arrow. Mighty strange, but true.

He's killed a lot of deer but thats the only deer he ever shot with a bow.:dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I know a few that hunt with rifles that will shoot does in the head. They don't really hunt for bucks, just putting meat in the freezer and spoiling as little meat as possible.

Same with shooting squirrels in the head with a .22 in their minds.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Whats wrong with a CNS shot? :dunno: As long as you can make the shot. If you know where the bullet will impact when you pull the trigger, I would venture to say it's actually the most ethical shot.

I've seen my heart shot deer run 50 yards, trailed lung shots for hundreds. A solid brain shot animal is dead before it hits the ground.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Whats wrong with a CNS shot? :dunno: As long as you can make the shot. If you know where the bullet will impact when you pull the trigger, I would venture to say it's actually the most ethical shot.

I've seen my heart shot deer run 50 yards, trailed lung shots for hundreds. A solid brain shot animal is dead before it hits the ground.
    I don't hunt very often. I get on a hunting kick every few years, but I tend to agree with this. I take body shots myself on deer but from an ethical standpoint a shot at the base of the skull would result in dead deer not suffering before hand. I don't see why a concern over head shots :dunno:

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.

I do kind of agree with you on this statement, but Ive seen pictures and heard stories of people going for headshots and hitting but not killing the animal. Then deer is left with a missing jawbone or half a head. I have also heard stories of people hitting them in the head and their slugs ricocheting off the skull. True or not, IDK, but I dont want to take a chance. No animal deserves that, nor does any person need to see that, especially the anti's.

The more I think about it though, if a clean headshot can be taken, it does almost seem more ethical that there would be no chance of the deer running off and the hunter not being able to find or track it, then it dies somewhere as waste.

Edit: I tried to find a video I seen on youtube of a deer with its jaw missing from a headshot gone wrong, and the anit's tore it apart. I cant find it though

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I do kind of agree with you on this statement, but Ive seen pictures and heard stories of people going for headshots and hitting but not killing the animal. Then deer is left with a missing jawbone or half a head. I have also heard stories of people hitting them in the head and their slugs ricocheting off the skull. True or not, IDK, but I dont want to take a chance. No animal deserves that, nor does any person need to see that, especially the anti's.

The more I think about it though, if a clean headshot can be taken, it does almost seem more ethical that there would be no chance of the deer running off and the hunter not being able to find or track it, then it dies somewhere as waste.

Edit: I tried to find a video I seen on youtube of a deer with its jaw missing from a headshot gone wrong, and the anit's tore it apart. I cant find it though

I could see it if you're not comfortable with the shot than don't risk it. I'm not a "deer anatomy" whiz, but I know that humans have no nerves in their craniums so aside from the skin, damage to the rest of the area you wouldn't feel a thing. Many open brain surgeries are actually performed while the patient is fully awake and talking to the doctors. You can probably youtube video footage of it, but the first time I saw it, it was pretty freaky and I'm not a weak stomached guy AT ALL. Looking at the guys brain while Dr's operate and hes just sitting there with his eyes open talking:puke:It was just kinda "creepy" to watch. Like a hollywood horror film or something.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is a vast difference between making a shot and shooting at something.

IMHO we allowed a terrible thing to happen when we allowed .410 slugs to be used. It filled the woods with little kids shooting AT deer.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Personally for me it is not an ethical shot. I always shoot for heart/lungs.
    Although I did accidently shoot a doe in the head with a 12 ga. slug. She dropped like a rock. I never could figure how that happened but I'm glad it was a killing shot.
    On another note while spotlighting once in Switzerland county we spotlighted a doe with an arrow sticking out of her head. That was not pretty.

Bert

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Shelbyville
    yet when pig hunting the most preferred kill shot is the head , just below the ear . to many run off when hit in the heart , lung area . mostly because most people don't know where the heart is on a pig .

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    There is a vast difference between making a shot and shooting at something.

IMHO we allowed a terrible thing to happen when we allowed .410 slugs to be used. It filled the woods with little kids shooting AT deer.

I do not agree with this at all. There are many adults who hunt with .410 slugs. Allowing the use of .410 has not, "filled the woods with little kids shooting AT deer." Yes it has opened the door to more hunters, and yes many of those hunters are younger. However you have to consider this, no matter what weapon you choose to hunt with, you need to practice and become proficient in shooting before you go huntint. Because someone is a child it does not mean that they can not shoot well. I have a son who shot his first deer with a .410 when he was 9. We practiced many hours for many months. He did not take shots over 30 yards with the .410. If someone gives a kid the chance to go hunting then it is that persons responsible for making sure they practice and not take shots that either they or their weapon can not make. If you are going to say that hunting with a .410 is something terrible that we allowed to happen then maybe we should not allow people to buy weapons and ammo the night before the opening day of deer season. I know we have all been in walmart the night before deer season opens and see people buying their gun, ammo, hunter orange, and hot hands. These people have not practiced with this weapon. So they would be shooting "at" things and not making shots as you mentioned. But the funny part is it does not matter what weapon anyone is hunting with. It could be 10,12,16,20,28 guage or a .410. It could also be a rifle. Many kids have started hunting with single shot rifles. I am against people shooting "at" deer and not taking good shots that both they and their weapon are capable of taking. I know that my two sons would shoot better than any person that plans to go hunting with a weapon that they have purchased less than 12 hours before and are not going to practice with. I am not against getting young hunters involved in the sport and into the outdoors. Just because the person is young it does not mean that they can not shoot and hunt ethically Sorry for the thread jack!

Top Bottom