• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I've reloaded handgun ammo for a few years now and I just recently started reloading rifle rounds. Did my first 1K rounds and have a question. I've tried searching, but the new forum search is returning too many results.

I was able to load the first 1K using all PMC brass, mostly once fired. However, I'm a brass rat and grab everything I can at the range. I have a few hundred rounds where the head stamp does not indicate any caliber all. I'm sure it 223, but want to make sure. How do you verify that it is in fact 223 if the head stamp doesn't specify? Do you just measure length/diameter and use it if it's in range?

I have a couple that are stamped as 5.56. Can I reload those using the same recipe I do for 223 and fire them? Or does 5.56 brass need some special processing.

I've run into some that have the military crimp. As suggested online, I've tried a couple of methods to remove the crimp. I chucked a primer cleaner into my drill and rotated it around a bit at high speed. I've also used a deburring tool to try to ream out the primer pocket. I've had limited success using these methods, maybe 30%. Any secrets here or should I just go see Andrew at ProFire to buy a primer pocket ream tool?

Thanks in advance.

HD

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    From what I have read you can put 223 in a 5.56 chamber but you shouldn't use 5.56 loaded ammo in a 223 chamber. The 5.56 has a higher loading limit than the 223.

You should full length re size brass then use it in your gun. Then you will get all sorts of information on neck sizing and full length sizing from then on. After it has been fired in one of my rifles it is used in that rifle only and I neck size. It has worked best for me.

As far as the crimp, buy the tool. Tools make thing go so much better. If it don't work you have some one to ***** at and help you make it work.

Good luck.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    HD,

If you can take a picture of the headstamps of the various shells that you are not sure about and post the picture here, we might be able to tell you who made the brass.. :)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The Brass makes no difference. If it looks just like a .223 when you lay them next to each other, and run through your sizing die, they are fine. The position of the loaded bullet ogive is the difference, and that is only on old rifles. I doubt if anything built since Jimmy Carter was president still has the early chamber pattern. Size, trim and load it up. Have fun.

Top Bottom