• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have heard some different stories. I'm going to Chicago for a couple days and wondering whats the laws up there about having a firearm. I dont necc. need to CCW but would at least like it with me in the vehicle/hotel if possible. Anyone know the laws. I have a Indiana License to carry. Can I take it with me at all? If so whats the stipulation does it have to be unloaded and ammo in a seperate location etc..

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    reason I ask is because theres some interesting info from this link
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...56547-transporting_a_handgun_in_illinois.html

Transport Your Firearm Legally
    Commonly Asked Questions
    On Transporting Firearms in Illinois

In this Boucher is a section on non-residents...
    ---------------------
    "IF A NON-RESIDENT IS VISITING ILLINOIS,
    HUNTING, OR TRAVELING THROUGH WITH
    A FIREARM, HOW DO THEY LEGALLY
    TRANSPORT IT?
    Non-residents must be legally eligible to possess
    or acquire firearms and ammunition. Non residents
    are not required to have an Illinois FOID Card. It is
    recommended that in order to be in compliance with all
    statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. broken down in a non-functioning state; or
    2. not immediately accessible; or
    3. unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying
    box, shipping box, or other container."

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    That is based on the Federal National transportation laws while driving "thru" Illinois. Cook county (Chicago) has its own set of rules that makes it impossible.

If there has been a change I want to know too though.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Chicago is one of the most anti gun places in the USA. Be prepared for a big problem if you are caught carrying.

JC PAINT WORKZ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I dont want to carry I want it in the vehicle. I dont mind having it unload (well I do mind but if thats what it takes to comply....) I was planning on having my Gun Vault in the vehicle as usual and having the firearm inside there and the magazine in a different location (but accessible to myself). I just dont feel comfortable going to a different state for a couple days traveling and not being able to have some form of protection with me

giovani

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Sorry about your luck, i was through there last week on business, and I sure wouldn't go back for pleasure.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You can tranpsort only, and weapon must be unloaded and in a locked case. You can not carry in any manner, CC or OC. If you have a car with a trunk, put it in the trunk. If in a pickup, out of sight in the back. Not sure about magazines, but to be safe, I would be sure they are also unloaded. Keep your cargo in mind when driving, that is practice common sense and don't do anything that would give LEOs a reason to stop you (speeding, seat belts, etc).

Unfortunately, the best policy for Illinois is to simply not have a firearm with you. But you are allowed to transport. I do transport between Indiana and Wisconsin due to having family in WI, and I have never had any problems. I typically travel down I-294 on my way to WI instead of I-94. That way, if I do get pulled over, at least it will be by the Illinois State Police instead of Chicago Police.

Last edited:

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    You can tranpsort only, and weapon must be unloaded and in a locked case. You can not carry in any manner, CC or OC. If you have a car with a trunk, put it in the trunk. If in a pickup, out of sight in the back. Not sure about magazines, but to be safe, I would be sure they are also unloaded. Keep your cargo in mind when driving, that is practice common sense and don't do anything that would give LEOs a reason to stop you (speeding, seat belts, etc).

Unfortunately, the best policy for Illinois is to simply not have a firearm with you. But you are allowed to transport. I do transport between Indiana and Wisconsin due to having family in WI, and I have never had any problems.

That is driving through. I believe that its on record from the Chicago police that if you stay in Chicago over a certain amount of time (24 hours?) Than you are subject to the normal laws and would not fall under the transportation laws. Hence no handgun without permit. Basically in Chicago if you MUST go, be prepared for total disarmament other than maybe a stout pocket knife.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Make your own decision, but I frequently go to Chicago and generally ignore the knife laws. This is a great application for something cheap/over-the-counter that you can live with having confiscated. I always have a couple of extras in the suitcase, too. I went up in the Sears Tower ONE TIME and security took my knife, a Gerber EZ Out (3.5" blade?). When I recovered it upon leaving, there were four other knives in the tray with blades at least that long!

Firearms? No way. :xmad:

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    On a side note if you have a shotgun you may be able to throw it in the trunk and keep some shells handy under different laws since its not a handgun.. but im not educated the best on that one. I've only heard tell of it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    From my understanding, it is 100% illegal to have a firearm of any kind on your person or in your vehicle, unless you are in a protected class (Law Enforcement, for example). The Federal Transportation law would protect you if you traveled THROUGH Chicago, but not if you stop IN Chicago.

Here is a thread that mentions possible self-defense options in Chicago (primarily about knives, but mentions other items as well):
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_cutting_edge/240894-chicago_knife_laws.html

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    DO NOT EVEN BRING IT.....unless you do not care if it gets confiscated if caught. The Federal law only covers transporting a firearm from a place you can legally possess it to another place you can legally possess it. I do not know how ****cago is now but they used to have no regard for the federal law in relation to people passing through. I've heard of someone having their firearms confiscated while traveling through on the way to a trap shoot in WI or MN.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    I know it's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six and all that, but if you travel to Chicago and use a handgun to defend yourself you will more than likely be in as much or more trouble than the person(s) attacking you.

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Ok but Chicago is not a place you want to take any firearm if you live out of state. They reconize no one or any other states CCW. Pepper spray can get you into trouble.The City is not a complete war zone, just areas of gangs running the streets. You take any form of weapon to Chicago you better fin out more about it like kinfes and Pepper spray. "Here is their Pepper Spray laws" City of Chicago (a) No person shall use any device to discharge a noxious gas or liquid in an enclosed room in any Class C-1 or Class C-2 Assembly Unit, as defined in Chapter 13-56 of this Code, or in an enclosed room in any restaurant, bar or tavern that is a Class F Assembly Unit as defined in that chapter, if more than 20 persons are present in that room, unless the person is a peace officer, as defined in Section 8-20-30* of this Code, engaged in law enforcement activity. As used in this section, “noxious gas or liquid” means mace, pepper spray or any other substance that is intended or designed to cause irritation to the eyes, nose or mouth, or to cause nausea.

Top Bottom