Heading to Yellowstone. Carrying through multiple states question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    This summer I'll be taking the family out west for a few weeks. I'm much more familiar with traveling east with a firearm. Can anyone comment on issues I need to know of?

I'll basically be going out on 90 and back on 80. So:

Illinois
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota
    South Dakota
    North Dakota
    Montana
    Wyoming
    Idaho
    Utah
    Nebraska
    Iowa

I will only stop in Illinois for gas at most. I'm familiar with the laws there.

Thanks in advance!

Wstar425

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2018
    Sandia Park, New Mexico
    You don’t say what state you reside in and whether you heve a license/permit/permission slip from where. (Unless I missed that) That will be your first step in this process. Quite a few CC states there.

Having recently moved from Wisconsin, you can open carry there just about everywhere except court house, cop shop schools, PO, the usual list. HOWEVER, you cannot open carry in your vehicle as that is considered concealed unless it is on the dash or hanging from the rear view.

Minnesota is a no go for OC or CC unless you have reciprocity with whatever state you’re from.

I think you’d be better off to go thru each state on one of the online sites versus relying on individual intel here, so I’m recommending against taking my own advice.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Woops, I have an Indiana LTCH.
    Here is the site I use to check. Although I've never seen it be wrong, I always follow the links and check the state's code directly as well.

Some of the states that don't honor the IN LTCH may allow unlicensed open carry, for that I use this site. And again follow up check with the state code in question.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Here is the site I use to check. Although I've never seen it be wrong, I always follow the links and check the state's code directly as well.

Some of the states that don't honor the IN LTCH may allow unlicensed open carry, for that I use this site. And again follow up check with the state code in question.
    ^^^this

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’d add two things to what’s already been said, 1. USCCA has their own app as well, pretty user friendly, and
    2. KNOW the laws of any reservations you may be going through. Not researched as far north as where you’re going, but south of there they mean business and have the teeth in the law to enforce it. What’s more they don’t always make it clear, possibly intentionally.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I check handgunlaw.us before I travel and make a cheat sheet for each state:

Must Inform Officer by Law: ?? good to know in case you get pulled over for a traffic violation
    Permits Honored: IN move to trunk and comply with transport laws if necessary
    Places Off-Limits: Schools, etc... ?? look for those unusual items you take for granted in Indiana
    Rest Areas: ?? make sure you can hold more than your **** when you stop
    No Gun Signs - Force of Law: ?? can't always ignore like in Indiana
    Open Carry: ?? while I don't generally open carry, sometimes I am sloppy about how well I conceal, do I need to be careful not to print?
    Applebees/Bar: ?? distinguish how you are treated in Applebees family area vs. the bar area vs. a real bar

I quickly scan the rest of the state laws in advance and decide if I need any special notations as well as check for updates since the last time I traveled.

Cool Breeze

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2013
    Fort Fun
    Thanks guys! I'll do some digging. Yes, just a handgun. And yes, I'll aim to not stop at all in IL. My kids have gone 5 hours without a potty break.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I used to travel out that way somewhat frequently and off of the top of my head, Nebraska is the major problem state for CC other than Illinois on the most direct route.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Thanks guys! I'll do some digging. Yes, just a handgun. And yes, I'll aim to not stop at all in IL. My kids have gone 5 hours without a potty break.
    Go ahead and stop for potty breaks, you can leave **** in that **** hole. Most just try to avoid leaving cash to help fund that **** hole.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Go ahead and stop for potty breaks, you can leave **** in that **** hole. Most just try to avoid leaving cash to help fund that **** hole.
    If you stop for potty brakes in Illinois, you have to disarm. Their partial recognition of carry on any out-of-state license starts and ends in your car.

And another option to the OP:

CCW – Concealed Carry 50 State Guide
    for iPhone
    for Android

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    In Illinois interstate rest areas the buildings are posted no carry even for Illinois residents with a CCW.

That is correct as well. There are many broad categories of places that are statutorily posted in Illinois, even for Illinois CCW holders. But specifically I am speaking about non-Illinois residents who have a CCW from their home state, but not from Illinois. They can follow 430 ILCS 66 / 40 (e) and carry in their car. But if they leave their car for any reason (e.g. to pump gas, go to the restroom), they have to lock the gun in the car.

Please realize this is specific to Illinois; in most states who do not recognize your CCW, you can't carry in your car either. Instead you must follow U.S. 926A which is much more restrictive.

Top Bottom