• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I had an amazing trip last week out in Kansas hunting with my good buddy Matt. If you have never hunted long beards in Kansas, do it. To say there the birds are plentiful is an understatement. This was my third year in a row going out there to hunt and the hunting does not disappoint. Coming from Indiana, it is just amazing to see the number of birds that Kansas has.

I tagged out on opening day this year. I passed up a few birds right off the roost while holding out for one stud of a bird that our scouting had pinned down. He was easy to recognize with one missing tail feather from fighting. At 9:00 that morning he came in with two buddies and SLAMMED the DSD strutter decoy. Unfortunately when I shot, I clipped the blind window with the Magnus Bullhead and it sent the arrow about 6" off course for a clean miss. With that chance blown, I decided it was time to settle for nice long beards the rest of the day. After running off several jakes the rest of the morning, right at noon a long gobble struck from a field behind us. Some sweet calling on the GhostMaker crystal pot call was all it took and the 2 year old strutted right to the set up. I took his head completely off with a Magnus Bullhead at 5 yards. So after a quick bite to eat and a slight adjustment to the set up, we settled in for an afternoon. Again, jakes all afternoon. They came and went every 20 minutes or so, breeding the hen decoys and just reeking havoc on our spread of DSD's. At about 5:00, two toms came on a string from the left. The keyed in on that DSD strutter and at 4 yards I let an arrow fly, and the same Magnus Bullhead from earlier in the day took the head off of bird #2, a good 3 year old bird. Both kills on video.

On day two, I ran the video camera for Matt. After a morning of jake action, we moved to a new location that was crawling with birds. We actually ran several long beards out of the field when we pulled in. We set up, settled in, and about 1 1/2 hours into the hunt, here came three toms, 3/4 strut all the way to the decoys. At 6 yards, Matt throat punched the nicest of the three birds with a Magnus Bullhead as the bird sized up the DSD strutter. Since Matt lives out there, he did not want to end his hunting for the year so he opted to call it quits to prolong his season and not take a 2nd bird.

A huge shout out goes to Dave Smith for custom painting a strutter for us. Matt called me one day to discuss an idea. He wanted a very dominant looking strutter for the Kansas birds. We discussed it at great length and then got our buddy Dave Smith on the phone. Dave was willing to roll the dice on it as well and so was the birth of Ol' White Face ... our custom painted strutter. Between a youth hunt over the previous weekend, our hunts, and some hunts later in the week with other of Matt's buddies, Ol' White Face put down 9 long beards in 8 days. Some of the most insane turkey/decoy interaction that I have ever witnessed.

I will at some point release my videos of the hunts, but first they are gong to air on the Sportsman's Channel as part of Dreampoint Outdoors Game of Inches show in about 3 weeks.

Frame grab from Decap #1

Frame grab from Decap #2 (tiny flap of skin was all that connected his head when done)

Ol' White Face the DSD strutter

Matt's bird after a solid throat punch

One of many Kansas jakes that would not leave us alone

Matt and I with our birds.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Sounds like an excellent trip, congrats! There's not much like it for me, my most enjoyable times outdoors have been chasing longbeards, really looking forward to the coming weeks and hopefully I'll be able to get my daughter her first this year.

I've got a friend who hunts KS for deer and turkey every year. He says the locals think he's crazy for driving all the way to KS to chase gobblers. Some folks just don't know how good they've got it.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I didn't realize how plentiful they were there. We hunted some public ground that always produced fine gobblers, but as the popularity increased, so did the pressure. And I never went and found a new haunt. It's been a good 11 or 12 years since I wore the vest or struck up a slate. But dad and I hunted them a lot when I was a teenager. Those are some of the best times of my life.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hey DEC, does that DSD have a real fan attached? If so, have you considered attaching a jake fan rather than a longbeard? We've found better luck when we hunt behind a decoy if we use a jake fan. If we're on a mature bird they seem much more inclined to come after the jake, about 50% will opt not to engage the decoy with an adult fan on there. Just curious what your experience has been.

My hunting partner is going to try to get one with a bow from behind the decoy this year, I'd like to but can't draw my bow yet. Should be interesting.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Yes that is a real fan from a tom. Often back here in Indiana I run a DSD strutter with a red head (not the white shown) and a jake fan.

So here is the story on that decoy, why we had it painted that way, and why we ran it as a tom rather than a jake. The reality in that part of Kansas is that there are just a ton of birds. Unlike even the real good spots in Indiana, the toms out there are everywhere. So what you run into is a ton of very dominant birds. Matt lives there and scouts every day. He sees what goes down and in my past trips what I have to back up what he sees. What he has noticed is that there are so many dominant toms that they tend to be very aggressive towards each other and they honestly leave the more submissive toms alone. Further we have found (last year was a prime example of this) is that jakes tend to gang up on the more submissive toms. So he called me with an idea to try an very dominate tom decoy approach. We went with the white head that Dave painted up for us and a full tom fan. The results were amazing. I could not believe all of the toms that we pulled in. They came in every way from charging in and attacking to taking their time, but almost all came right in. It was insane. Further the jakes never tried to attack the dominate looking decoy. Instead, they would come in and mess around with the hen decoys. In 2015, when I was out there running a strutter set up as a jake, I was having to go out and set it back up probably once an hour from all of the jakes jumping on it. So Matt's theory worked very well this year.

Now back here in Indiana on even my best grounds, I will probably run my other DSD strutter as a jake or just run my submissive jake decoy. I am not saying the dominant decoy would not work here, but I think my results would not be as consistent as what I saw this year in Kansas.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Very interesting and makes perfect sense in that environment. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. If I'm ever lucky enough to secure some ground out there I'll have to give that approach a try.

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    Awesome hunt! I went out to Kansas a few years ago and my experience was similar to yours. I arrowed one big gobbler the evening I got there, and my second the next morning. I can't nail a tom in Indiana with my shotgun, but going to Kansas I laid two out with my bow, go figure!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I finally got around to putting together a video edit of this hunt. Enjoy.

[video=youtube;1Xgn2hN6e8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xgn2hN6e8A[/video]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Excellent video! That first setup looked (and sounded) like a very nice piece of property, I'm jealous!

Glad you had a good season, mine was miserable lol.

Top Bottom