• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is an interesting proposition. Is there a difference in taxing a new item versus a used one. Are we supposed to report all our garage sale purchases to the Indiana IRS?

And I don't believe you as the seller are obligated to collect tax unless you do sell more that a set dollar amount in a year.

eBay is an interesting case. Some of the sellers are indeed those of us getting rid of garage sale type things. Plenty of others are a store front though. I believe eBay has chosen to collect the tax on behalf of everyone.

Ebay used to be a lot of selling used stuff, now it's a lot of store fronts and chinese crap.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I am confused.

If I sell you a used widget via Ebay, how is that different than if I sell you the same widget at a garage sale?

Is the implication that I need to be collecting sales tax there?
    This is where I have been thinking that it is going for several years and I DON'T agree with it. If I sell you a used pair of Harley shocks I don't charge tax as well. Why should it be different if I sell it on eBay, Craigslist, Etsy, etc? Get your D*** hands out of our wallets, please. Next, we will have LEO(insert correct governing body) stopping at garage sales to see if you have a permit and are collecting taxes.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I look quite a bit more than buy on eBay. I look for cheap trade paperbacks, clothes, and PSA autographed cards. i buy very little unless i can find a deal.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I buy lots of parts for older items that the hubby is repairing...motorcycles, lawn mowers, tillers, etc. I try to avoid the China crap but sometimes it is the only option available. I find a lot of NOS parts that nobody else seems to have, and most have free shipping.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    This is an interesting proposition. Is there a difference in taxing a new item versus a used one. Are we supposed to report all our garage sale purchases to the Indiana IRS?

And I don't believe you as the seller are obligated to collect tax unless you do sell more that a set dollar amount in a year.

eBay is an interesting case. Some of the sellers are indeed those of us getting rid of garage sale type things. Plenty of others are a store front though. I believe eBay has chosen to collect the tax on behalf of everyone.

Yes, whether new or used, if bought online, there's a sales tax to it now, but only to the buyer.

The seller, if selling the item like a garage sale (getting rid of items), is selling for non capital gain, there's no tax on the seller since the seller has already taxed when the seller originally bought the item.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Any USED item should not be taxed as they are taxed when first sold. This is the government double dipping.

If I'm looking for an output shaft for a Torqueflite 727 transmission, from an International 4x4 truck, (and I did this not long ago, it was in Missouri) it isn't gonna be a newly manufactured piece where some company is out there making a profit. It's some guy tearing his apart, and getting rid of the pieces...

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Something tells me Indiana won't be dropping the sales tax rate to make up for the new money coming in.

I'm old enough to remember 5%.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    What was the name of that group that formed some years back? Something about taxed enough already...? :dunno:

Oh yeah. They were take over by neocons, religious zealots, and basically anyone who wanted to cash in on conservative cred, but weren’t real ass fiscal conservatives. Then people got fed up because the resulting hodgepodge of opportunists failed to be effective. So then the alt-right came along and people jumpin’ on that bandwagon now.

So now, no one gives a flying **** about fiscal conservatism.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Something tells me Indiana won't be dropping the sales tax rate to make up for the new money coming in.

I'm old enough to remember 5%.
    5% wasn't that long ago.

I'm sure CM remembers when sales tax was just on buffalo pelts.

Top Bottom