• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Was told by a guy at work that all 45acp is being switched to small pistol primers. Any truth to this, or is this guy talking out his butt? Thanks again INGO :ingo:

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    would let me eliminate lh pistol primers. would be nice for me as I do tend to get the sm primer 1 fired brass when I find it...

Haven't here the rumor though.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    would let me eliminate lh pistol primers. would be nice for me as I do tend to get the sm primer 1 fired brass when I find it...

Haven't here the rumor though.

Just happened to remember he said that as I deprimed a bunch of 45 tonight. I'd say almost half were small pistol...thanks.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not think it is a change across the board.

The two main brands that use the small pistol primers in the .45acp are owned by VISTA Outdoors, Inc. Other than the Winchester "Non Toxic" line, they are the only ones I have seen. VISTA also has Federal under their corp. and all the Federals I have are Large primer. I would think that if it was an official mandate that every brand under a holding corporation banner would have switched.

The only problem I have ever seen was with some old, well worn, Colts. Sometimes the "tightening" process for a worn out parts box pistol was changing the barrel link so the barrel would almost bind when the pistol was in battery. This makes the firing pin hit off center and will not reliably hit the small primers. Modern machining, even on lower brands, holds better tolerance than the old days, so most of the pistols with the problem are long gone.

I like having both, except it adds sorting step on the reloading bench. When I could not get one size of primers, I could always use the other. Too bad supply issues make that a reality.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I buy all my brass once fired from a local range. I can get 100 45acp for $5, pretty cheap actually. The majority of the small primer brass was either Federal or Blazer, and there was all of it. What difference will I see between small and large primer, if any? Thanks again everyone.

INDY-1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    Avon
    They aRE out there. I think blazer is doing it. I have about 15 percent small pockets. Is annoying but they do fire the same.

Top Bottom