• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    How about a thumbnail sketch of what's in SHARE? I know the language of HPA was rolled in which deregulates suppressors, and there's something about access to hunting land....but not sure what else is there. Anyone got the gift of brevity?

Federal government can't regulate fishing tackle or ammo based on lead content

Able to carry on ACOE properties

Broader use of public lands for hunting/fishing/shooting

Ability to transport unloaded firearms and ammo across state lines (thought we already had that, can anybody tell us what changes here)

Ability to transport polar bear trophies into us, excluding internal organs, with a permit (never hunted polar bear, didn't know this was a thing)

Removes gray wolves from endangered species list (may have misread that, just skimmed it)

Suppressor treated just like firearms (no tax, no registry, must have serial no.)

Removal of the "sporting clause" for importation of firearms/ammo; doesn't allow .gov to reclassify ammo as "armor piercing"

Federal government can't restrict importation of non-NFA firearms as long as they are legal to own in US (might get rid of "Saturday night special" import rule, unsure)

Herd reduction of Bison in Grand Canyon National Park

Hunting allowed in 4 national forests

This is not an exhaustive list due in part to my inability to read "legalese" and lack of time to cross reference with current codes and also due to the fact that I'm at work and just skimming for parts that most of us would consider important. I welcome anyone to expand on this list or correct any mistakes I may have made.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Federal government can't regulate fishing tackle or ammo based on lead content

Able to carry on ACOE properties

Broader use of public lands for hunting/fishing/shooting

Ability to transport unloaded firearms and ammo across state lines (thought we already had that, can anybody tell us what changes here)

Ability to transport polar bear trophies into us, excluding internal organs, with a permit (never hunted polar bear, didn't know this was a thing)

Removes gray wolves from endangered species list (may have misread that, just skimmed it)

Suppressor treated just like firearms (no tax, no registry, must have serial no.)

Removal of the "sporting clause" for importation of firearms/ammo; doesn't allow .gov to reclassify ammo as "armor piercing"

Federal government can't restrict importation of non-NFA firearms as long as they are legal to own in US (might get rid of "Saturday night special" import rule, unsure)

Herd reduction of Bison in Grand Canyon National Park

Hunting allowed in 4 national forests

This is not an exhaustive list due in part to my inability to read "legalese" and lack of time to cross reference with current codes and also due to the fact that I'm at work and just skimming for parts that most of us would consider important. I welcome anyone to expand on this list or correct any mistakes I may have made.

Holy Hell! I need to read this thing. That's a lot of good stuff there!

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    For those that have read the updated bill from committee -- Am I understanding correctly that there will still be a 10% tax on suppressors at the time of sale, but no stamp, and no waiting -- just a NICS check?

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    For those that have read the updated bill from committee -- Am I understanding correctly that there will still be a 10% tax on suppressors at the time of sale, but no stamp, and no waiting -- just a NICS check?

I believe that may be related to the Pittman-Robertson Act...same tax is on ammo and firearms (I think it is higher for handguns), but for those it is paid by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture. If suppressors are being treated as firearms, it would make sense that there would still be the Pittman-Robertson tax.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I believe that may be related to the Pittman-Robertson Act...same tax is on ammo and firearms (I think it is higher for handguns), but for those it is paid by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture. If suppressors are being treated as firearms, it would make sense that there would still be the Pittman-Robertson tax.

I wonder how that relates to a Form 1 can? With HPA will there be such a thing?

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville

Uhhh... wait a minute, does this mean old style steel core Norinco 7.62x39 (we used to buy by the pallet because it was less than .10 cents around) could be imported again and come back on the market?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Uhhh... wait a minute, does this mean old style steel core Norinco 7.62x39 (we used to buy by the pallet because it was less than .10 cents around) could be imported again and come back on the market?

Possibly. Everyone is talking about how we may be able to get 7n6 back with this. I don't know much about the Norinco stuff but I assume it was done away with for a similar reason.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County

I am hoping it will be like an 80% lower and we can just build them without any hassle.

It is fun, but too expensive for me to toy with different baffle stacks, clips and configurations as it is now.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Question for the law-profs: That language about legally transporting a firearm from one place to another. Would that eliminate the $10K PITA if you get caught flying through NYC? For those who don't know, if your baggage is checked on a through flight - say you get re-routed there for weather or anything else - you are in violation of a NYC law against possession of firearms or ammunition. They take you to jail, badda boom badda bing $10K to get your arse outda hock.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

Possibly. Everyone is talking about how we may be able to get 7n6 back with this. I don't know much about the Norinco stuff but I assume it was done away with for a similar reason.

I don't think that could happen, I thought that all Chinese firearm and related items were banned from import due to norinco "back door" selling full autos to gang bangers way back in the 90's

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Im sorry, I havent read the whole thread. But am i correct to believe this change in the law would allow for basically over the county silencer purchases?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Im sorry, I havent read the whole thread. But am i correct to believe this change in the law would allow for basically over the county silencer purchases?

IF the law passes, suppressors will be treated as long guns, ie if you're over 18, and can pass the nics background check you can purchase without the 200 dollar transfer tax,without submitting passport photos/fingerprints and without the 9 month wait for approval, without chief local law enforcement notification

IF suppressors are legal in your state!

so contact your congressional representatives and tell them you are in favor of this (the share act) passing and becoming federal law

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

There will no longer be any such thing. Any firearm (NFA or not) built for your personal use is exempt from the Pittman-Robertson Act tax. The tax only applies to licensed manufacturers of firearms and/or ammunition.

Top Bottom