• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uberpeck

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've sent Trey Hollingsworth, my district rep, an email as he has not cosponsored the bill yet asking for his sponsorship and when this will be heard in committee. The bill language hasn't been released yet either.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Got a response from Congressman Visclosky's office basically telling me particulars of the proposed bill that I already knew and brought to his attention in the email encouraging HIS support for H.R 367 that I sent to him. Track record shows that we can't really count on him for any positive support.

[FONT=&amp]Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 3 67 , the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you know, firearm sound suppressors are currently regulated under P.L. 73-474, the National Firearms Act (NFA). Items regulated by the NFA require stringent permitting and background check processes, and for individuals to pay a $200 application fee to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF). Specific to your concerns, several hunting and firearms advocacy groups have called for easing restrictions on the use of suppressors because of their potential ability to reduce hearing loss among individuals who regularly use firearms.

In response to this situation Rep. Duncan has introduced H.R. 3 67 , which would remove suppressors from the regulatory purview of the NFAand allow ed t he sale of suppressors to individual s who ha d undergone a background check through the Nation Instant Crimi nal Background Check System . The measure also would waive the $200 application fee paid to the ATF and nullified any state-specific registration or taxation on firearm suppressors.

H.R. 367 was referred to the House Committees on Ways and Means and the Judiciary, where it is currently pending consideration. The measure has 68 cosponsors and a companion measure has not been introduced in the Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sincerely,[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Peter J. Visclosky
    Member of Congress[/FONT]

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Got a response from Congressman Visclosky's office basically telling me particulars of the proposed bill that I already knew and brought to his attention in the email encouraging HIS support for H.R 367 that I sent to him. Track record shows that we can't really count on him for any positive support.

and a companion measure has not been introduced in the Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me. Do not hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    Peter J. Visclosky
    Member of Congress

good to know he keeps up with things, https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...9|115|10000\"+AND+billIsReserved:\"N\""]}&r=2

s59 was introduced the same day as hr367

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I used the auto-email through Silencerco and got a reply brom Rep. Bucshon's office as follows:

I received the message below attributed to your contact information from a third-party website. In order to fully open the channels of discussion and better address your concerns, it is best to contact me directly. You can do so by filling out the Leave a Comment on Legislation contact form on my website at www.bucshon.house.gov/contact/email, or you can call my office at 202-225-4636 if your issue is of a more urgent nature.

Fair enough, I sent the following this week.
    Representative Dr. Bucshon,

Re: H.R.367 - Hearing Protection Act of 2017, A bill to provide that silencers be treated the same as long guns.

I am writing to you to ask your support for the above referenced bill. As you may be aware, firearms suppressors (silencers) are heavily restricted and regulated under the National Firearms Act or NFA. This places what is essentially a muffler, similar to what is found on your car or lawn mower, in the same category as machine guns and cannon. Thus in order to purchase a muffler for a firearm, one must submit an application for the "tax stamp" in quadruplicate including four sets of photographs and fingerprints, go through a stringent permitting and background check processes, pay a $200 excise tax, and wait six to nine months while this is all processed. All for a muffler that does nothing but reduce the noise of a firearm somewhat.

As a physician you are well aware of the dangers of hearing loss from repeated loud noise. A suppressor does not make a firearm "Hollywood quiet" but can reduce the noise level of a firearm by typically 25-35 decibels. This reduces the noise exposure to the recreational shooter and, in some cases, makes the firearm hearing safe without additional protection from earplugs of earmuffs. Thus the wider use of suppressors would go far to reduce hearing loss among individuals who regularly use firearms.

Even our liberal friends in Europe recognize their usefulness. In most European countries, suppressors are unregulated and can be bought in most hardware or sporting goods stores. Many areas even require them for outdoor shooting and hunting.

Rep. Duncan has introduced H.R. 367 which would remove suppressors from the regulatory purview of the NFA and allow the sale of suppressors to individuals who had undergone a background check through the Nation Instant Criminal Background Check System . The measure also would remove the $200 tax.

I ask that you support this bill and encourage your peers to do the same. I thank you for your consideration and your service to our community and country.
    snorko

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    We had 3 more reps cosponsor this bill yesterday, bringing the total to 81, with one of them being a dem.

Well, with a 40 seat majority in the House, assuming Republicans can be trusted to defend 2nd Amendment rights (not always the best assumption), we don't need any Democrats to support it.

Now, in the Senate, it's a different story. Only a 2 seat Republican majority (and a lovely track record of traitorous Republican senators voting against gun rights), we'll need some Democrat supports for it to reach the 60 vote filibuster proof majority.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    My reply from Senator Donnelly,
    January 27, 2017​
    Dear Friend,​
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On January 9, 2017, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website.​
    sig_footer.png
    iqtrk.gif

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My reply from Senator Donnelly,

January 27, 2017​
    Dear Friend,​
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On January 9, 2017, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website.​
    sig_footer.png

iqtrk.gif

I got the same exact letter

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I received a reply from Congressman Bucshon. The pertinent portion of the letter is below.

"I am wary of government efforts to limit our rights to safely operate firearms, and I will fight to ensure that Hoosiers may continue to lawfully and safely exercise their 2nd Amendment rights. This legislation has been referred to the House Committee on Judiciary. Although I do not serve on that Committee, I will keep your thoughts on this legislation in mind should it come to the House floor for a vote."

Lots of wiggle room but better than Donnely's reply.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Keep calling your senators and reps!! Call write call write repeat! Tell your family to do it. Help them. Put the phone into their hands. Even if you or them don't have a suppressor or even plan to. Please please help your fellow gun owner and stand up and man up and if not for anything else do it for those strangers who have died or are willing to die to defend your rights. I'm asking for 2 minutes of your time. And it WILL make a difference.
    if you get a form letter write back and tell them that's not good enough. Your rights deserve more than a wish washy dodgy form letter. Don't accept no! They work for us!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    as of today
    its up to 95 cosponsors in the house
    and 6 in in the senate

all since January 9th
    and the 2015 act only had
    82 in the house
    and 3 in the senate
    and that was from 11-4-15 till the new terms began in 2017!

and as of yesterday was one of the top 10 most viewed bills on the congress.gov website!

keep fighting people!!!!!

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    as of today
    its up to 95 cosponsors in the house
    and 6 in in the senate

all since January 9th
    and the 2015 act only had
    82 in the house
    and 3 in the senate
    and that was from 11-4-15 till the new terms began in 2017!

and as of yesterday was one of the top 10 most viewed bills on the congress.gov website!

keep fighting people!!!!!

Keep up the good fight folks! :yesway::yesway:

:ingo: :patriot:

Top Bottom