• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    So, the obvious question to me is why so many bills that basically say the same thing with variations. Is it (a) because previous bills get stuck in Committee and can't get a hearing, or (b) political grand standing in order to say "we tried"?

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    With Smith and Wesson buying Gemctech and this many bills being presented, I see some form of the HPA being passed in the next few years. It will be nice to get rid of the tax stamp but there will be delays in keeping up with supple and demand. Eventually they will even out and will be worth it. I bet you will have to wait longer on the refunds for tax stamps to be issued. We all know how long the US government takes to do something.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    They can keep my stamp money. Use it to help find new work for the NFA inspectors that will not be needed.

I already spent the money, so it is out of my mind now.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    They aren't going to do anything about this or any other gun rights. They are nothing more than pansies who like to get huffy when they hear "common sense gun laws" and other buzz phrases from the democrats, but have done nothing since taking control! But, people will continue to talk about 2A or nothing, when voting. :runaway: Well, we have a pro-2A majority in congress and the White House, so what's the problem? I guess the new slogan will be, "We haven't moved forward, but we haven't moved backward, either!"

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    They aren't going to do anything about this or any other gun rights. They are nothing more than pansies who like to get huffy when they hear "common sense gun laws" and other buzz phrases from the democrats, but have done nothing since taking control! But, people will continue to talk about 2A or nothing, when voting. :runaway: Well, we have a pro-2A majority in congress and the White House, so what's the problem? I guess the new slogan will be, "We haven't moved forward, but we haven't moved backward, either!"

Disgustin', ain't it?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Disgustin', ain't it?

It's frustrating! We get on this site and the majority of our discussions and disagreements are about politics. It appears the majority of our members staunchly support anyone who appears to even remotely support 2A rights, no matter what is included in the rest of their portfolio. Now that we have all of those people in offices to form a majority of 2A supporters among those who introduce, approve, and sign new bills into law, these elected officials are nowhere to be found! If overturning the mental health regulation didn't make the country implode back in April, what is taking them so long with this one? Why hasn't the Attorney General done something in anti-gun cities like Chicago, where civil rights are being abused in this area? This isn't healthcare and could be a quick win, so why are they stagnant?

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I share the sentiment. I think the undercurrent is everyone in DC needs "friends" to stay there. Both sides say whatever they have to say to get elected. Then, they go along/get along in the undercurrent, fight like hell on tv. I'm about convinced everything you see is all talk, acting, doing whatever to stay elected.

Case in point...Anthony Kennedy. Why now? Did someone promise him something and renig? Is this his way of strong arming DNC or someone into getting his way? Why not retire under Obama? Ginsburg - same deal - why not retire under Obama? I don't buy they just assumed Hillary would win. It all stinks. All of it.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    It's frustrating! We get on this site and the majority of our discussions and disagreements are about politics. It appears the majority of our members staunchly support anyone who appears to even remotely support 2A rights, no matter what is included in the rest of their portfolio. Now that we have all of those people in offices to form a majority of 2A supporters among those who introduce, approve, and sign new bills into law, these elected officials are nowhere to be found! If overturning the mental health regulation didn't make the country implode back in April, what is taking them so long with this one? Why hasn't the Attorney General done something in anti-gun cities like Chicago, where civil rights are being abused in this area? This isn't healthcare and could be a quick win, so why are they stagnant?

Sessions is too concerned with hippies smoking the Devil's lettuce (you know, cause it's legal now in a bunch of states) to bother being concerned about protecting the 2nd Amemdment. He's a complete joke, along with his boss.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Realistically the choice is between anti-2A and neutral 2A. Although even the anti 2A in Washington seems to be mostly for show, thankfully. They had a window with Obama when they could have passed whatever they wanted, but didn't even try.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Realistically the choice is between anti-2A and neutral 2A. Although even the anti 2A in Washington seems to be mostly for show, thankfully. They had a window with Obama when they could have passed whatever they wanted, but didn't even try.

So , it's really neutral 2A with a bunch of extreme commentary for both sides.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Let's remember where the real problem is here, folks. We've had Republican majorities on both sides since 2010. What we didn't have back then, was a President who would sign something like this into law.

...Now, we do. And just like Health Care, we finally have a chance to get a real gut-check on the Republican Congress. The problem is, a good number of the Republicans who need to take action to place this on his desk, were against Trump as a candidate.

So just remember that, when you're firing up your lettuce or corn silks or whatever it is you're smoking, and getting you some Trump-hate going over this issue. We have seen what kind of Republicans we need more of. We've also seen what kind we need less of. And that latter group, overlaps very heavily with the Never-Trump gang.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Let's remember where the real problem is here, folks. We've had Republican majorities on both sides since 2010. What we didn't have back then, was a President who would sign something like this into law.

...Now, we do. And just like Health Care, we finally have a chance to get a real gut-check on the Republican Congress. The problem is, a good number of the Republicans who need to take action to place this on his desk, were against Trump as a candidate.

So just remember that, when you're firing up your lettuce or corn silks or whatever it is you're smoking, and getting you some Trump-hate going over this issue. We have seen what kind of Republicans we need more of. We've also seen what kind we need less of. And that latter group, overlaps very heavily with the Never-Trump gang.

Where have we seen them?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

What does being against Trump have to do with passing or not passing these bills? Even when Obama was President they should have passed the bills and let him veto them. They they would have been ready to hand to Trump right away.

The Republicans just use the issue to get votes. If they actually followed through, what would they have to hold so many voters to them? It isn't like they are a small government pay off the debt party. They may want to slightly alter where the funds go, but they have no interest in actually getting spending under control and reducing the government.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure if it has been brought up already, but I figured this would be the place to ask. Does the HPA or SHUSH make mention of manufacturing suppressors? I've heard that it just says they'll be regulated in the same fashion long guns are, but you're legally allowed to make your own gun, like 80% lowers.

My question here, is should I buy some of those "solvent traps" now and sit on them til the act passes?

Family man

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Southern
    Not sure if it has been brought up already, but I figured this would be the place to ask. Does the HPA or SHUSH make mention of manufacturing suppressors? I've heard that it just says they'll be regulated in the same fashion long guns are, but you're legally allowed to make your own gun, like 80% lowers.

My question here, is should I buy some of those "solvent traps" now and sit on them til the act passes?

Solvent trape are not illegal untill thay have a hole in the bottem of them so buy them if you need a solvent trap. No quotes nessary. If you were to be understood to have plans on making say a suppresor and post it on the net that could be thought as constructiave intent.
    You will be able to make your own supressors same as guns for your own personal use if these acts pass. Solvent traps should reduce sound if used as a base for a form one supressor but will suck in comparison to a k baffle, or modern monacore from a current manufacture. Once the tax stamp and wait is gone I would do the research find what can meets my needs from whatever manufacture and buy that. If you have the tools(lay and mill) and skills I would suggest making them.
    Thats the best part of if one of these acts pass. Home machine/gun smithe will be abpe to experiment with new designs uninhibited and supressor design will move forward more in the next 10 years more than the last 30.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The Freedom Caucus and the White House.

There are 31 members of the caucus and a president who just became a member of the Republican Party. Outside of talk, what have they done about the issue we are discussing or anything else 2A related?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    There are 31 members of the caucus and a president who just became a member of the Republican Party. Outside of talk, what have they done about the issue we are discussing or anything else 2A related?

We are 5 months into a new administration, and Antonin Scalia's conservative Supreme Court seat has been secured, you yourself mentioned the "geezer-rollback," and HPA received something like 150 co-sponsors, before an improved version was recently introduced which not only does away with the stamp, but to my understanding, makes suppressors an over-the-counter item and does away with an approval process which has been an established part of Federal regulatory oversight for the better part of a century.

By the historical standards of Washington D.C., that's not insignificant progress.

Maybe if you could name the specific action you wish would have been taken by now, that hasn't been taken yet, we could have a more substantive discussion about it?

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We are 5 months into a new administration, and Antonin Scalia's conservative Supreme Court seat has been secured, you yourself mentioned the "geezer-rollback," and HPA received something like 150 co-sponsors, before an improved version was recently introduced which not only does away with the stamp, but to my understanding, makes suppressors an over-the-counter item and does away with an approval process which has been an established part of Federal regulatory oversight for the better part of a century.

By the historical standards of Washington D.C., that's not insignificant progress.

Maybe if you could name the specific action you wish would have been taken by now, that hasn't been taken yet, we could have a more substantive discussion about it?
    How about actually voting on one the bills? Until there is a vote, it is all just a tease.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Introducing a bill is just one part of a five step process. I don't care if they introduced a bill to make suppressors free. It doesn't mean anything until they move the bill forward. As for the specific action, this is one! What else is needed for them to move this to Trump's media desk? I gave him credit for the "geezer-rollback," but even the ACLU was in support of that. So, what have they really done? When is this Republican, right-wing, conservative, 2A-loving administration and congress going to really do what they promised in order to get votes?

Top Bottom