• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcolip

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Greenwood, IN.
    I am looking for some good hearing protection for use on the shooting range. I already have some hearing loss and ringing that I have had for many years now. I hope to prevent any further problems. I have tried the foam ear plugs, they help, but I feel like I need something more. I have seen the ear muff style from $20 to $200. What hearing protectors do you use and what are the pros and cons of each? Thank you for your input.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I like these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T7QJ9O/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement[/ame]

Great price for electronic ears. I can hear everyone at the range and it cuts out when shooting. The added use is when you have seriously loud situation, you can use in ear plugs combined with them and jack the volume up. This makes the protection better, but you can hear better than the combo with non-electronic ears.

Dsgnr_81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Pendleton Indiana
    I really like my Peltor Tac 6's. They amplify ambient sound, and eliminate anything over a certain decibel. You can find em for around 60 bucks. If you would like, you can meet me sometime to try em out.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I use MSA Sordins

The $200 + price tag is cheap whne compared to what your hearing is worth.

Besides the noise reduction you get the audio amplfier for human voice. This is a plus if you do any type of interactions while shooting.

You could get cheaper hearing protection without the audio portion but your purchase should be based on your needs. Dollar for dollar if you just want noise reduction the Lightning 31db headphones are tough to beat.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I like these: Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement

Great price for electronic ears. I can hear everyone at the range and it cuts out when shooting. The added use is when you have seriously loud situation, you can use in ear plugs combined with them and jack the volume up. This makes the protection better, but you can hear better than the combo with non-electronic ears.

They also have a jack for your MP3 player or track radio, and seem to fit my kids better than some of the other models. JetGirl recommended them. (how's that for name dropping!).

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    +1 on the MSA Sordins
    My son used them as an RO at Eagle Creek for over 2 years. He also used Peltor and Radians but the Sordins were the best. I used all three and strongly agree. The input jack is nice. You can listen to the Colts games while at the range. The Sordin amplifier is very strong so using the muffs in addition to foam plugs works well. I like the fact that the Sordin doesn't cut out with every shot, it just clips the loud frequency. You can have a normal conversation while others are shooting without missing words.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    +3 to the Howard Leight Impact Sports mentioned above. I've used mine for about 2 years now and they're still holding up quite well.

I also have a few of the Howard Leight R-01523 L0F Ultra Lightweight Compact Folding Earmuffs (these are not electronic) which I loan to new shooters (friends, wife, etc...) when we go out to the range.

I believe Howard Leight makes a good product at a very good price point.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    I am looking for some good hearing protection for use on the shooting range. I already have some hearing loss and ringing that I have had for many years now. I hope to prevent any further problems. I have tried the foam ear plugs, they help, but I feel like I need something more. I have seen the ear muff style from $20 to $200. What hearing protectors do you use and what are the pros and cons of each? Thank you for your input.

The ringing is called tennitus. Sometimes hearing aids can reduce or stop the ringing. If you haven't tried hearing aids you would be surprised how much you are NOT hearing. The first night I wore hearing aids I heard this LOUD annoying chirping that turned out to be tree frogs. Birds were another thing I hadn't heard in years. Oh, and restaurants are SO noisey! I guess I haven't made a good case for getting hearing aids.:n00b:

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Peltor Tactical 6s's are great and only about $60, as already mentioned.
    (snip)limit amplified sounds to 82 dBA within 5 milliseconds. An active-volume system provides distortion-free amplification of low-level sounds up to 19 dBA(snip)
    Work pretty good with some foamy's in the ears too for those extra loud events while still allowing you to hear conversations.
    Edit: I've got the good ol' tinnitus too.
    205865956.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    What's the advantage of the electronic muffs? I have a very basic non electronic Winchester that I bought from walmart. Been thinking of getting ear plugs to wear with them.

I've thought of stepping up to the electronic, but don't
    Know if it's worth it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What's the advantage of the electronic muffs?

The biggest and most obvious advantage is that you can hear "normally", yet still be blocked from loud sounds (like gunshots) that would damage your hearing.

This comes in quite handy during training classes, when you're trying to listen to everything the instructor is saying on the line. Or when on a public range, when you're trying to maintain awareness of what the other shooters on the line are doing/saying.

They also keep you from having to constantly put them on, take them off. During NFA Day they stayed on my head the entire time-- while having conversations with other INGOers, or when shooting the full-auto KRISS. (I did take them off for the suppressor block, however)

So they not only enhance your efficiency, but they also enhance your overall safety.

Downsides? Like anything else electronic, they require batteries, and they can fail at the worst times. However, like a broken escalator becoming stairs, their failure only results in the loss of amplified sounds, and not in the loss of sound suppression.

Top Bottom