• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Do you wear hearing protection while hunting? I'm thinking no, because you are only taking one or two shots (deer hunting), but wanted to know the INGO take on the subject.

D

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Good question. While I've taken many shots in my life hunting, I've never expenienced ringing in my ears, or even recoil pain due to one or two consecutive shots. Gotta thank adrenalin!!

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Yes you should wear hearing protection while hunting. There are electronic products that will even enhance your hearing so you can hear the game better, but when that muzzle blast occurs, you really should have something that saves your hearing.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Yes you should wear hearing protection while hunting. There are electronic products that will even enhance your hearing so you can hear the game better, but when that muzzle blast occurs, you really should have something that saves your hearing.

^^^:yesway:^^^
    BEST way to go.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Never have .....but probably should have as my hearing is slowly eroding.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    I am extremely protective of my hearing and it has paid off. I can hear many things in the woods the buddies I am standing with can't hear. I wear one ear plug while hunting, in the ear by the gun. I am sure it does somewhat handicap me, but in the long run I would rather have one ear hearing some of the time and great hearing the rest of the time than diminished hearing all of the time.

hountzmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    SE Indiana
    I don't while deer hunting. Because as others have said, it's typically a 1 or 2 shot deal.

I have a pair of custom fit "sonic filter" plugs I bough from an audiologist, that I wear for waterfowl or other repeated shot hunting. They are basically solid ear plugs with a piece in the middle that has baffles and a valve or such in them. They aren't perfect but take out probably 95% of the blast.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Take it from a person that has severe hearing loss.. i just dropped $3,300 on a pair of hearing aids.

One shot can damage your hearing big time.

I can not and will not hunt without hearing protection..

I wear electronic muffs when I gun hunt for deer or turkeys.

Like the old song goes - "You don't know what you've go till it's gone" is true on hearing. Protect it while you've still got it..

kong1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Pendleton
    I always have worn earplugs when hunting....I have a 25 year old pair of "reed" style plugs that work great....you can hear well with them in, but when you shoot, the percussion closes the reed and protects your hearing....I have worn them for 1000s of rounds on the range, shooting trap and sporting clays, and hunting.....at 53, I still can hear better than most....

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Hearing is more important than sight to me when hunting, so I do not cover my ears. The shotgun is not asloud as a rifle though, I'd have to have some protection if I was using a rifle!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I frequently wear my Howard Leight Sport electronic hearing muffs while deer hunting. They serve three important functions:
    1) They keep my ears warm!
    2) They amplify sounds in the woods that you may not hear otherwise.
    3) They protect your ears from the gun report.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    I think hearing protection is a must, with electronic hearing protection I'm able to hear anything and everything. The only negative thing I can say about them is if it is a windy day, they can get annoying real quick. Just like most stuff out there though the better the quality the more you are going to have to spend.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I'm sure that muzzle percussion makes just as much noise in the woods as well as anywhere else, but it doesn't seem like it. I dont where hearing protection when hunting. It seems like the trees soak up a lot of the sound when the gun goes off. That's a poor excuse I'm sure, but it gives me a reason to say, HUH?, when my wife says something to me and I'm not listening. I think hearing loss is hereditary somewhat.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I lost most of my hearing working around jets and on the flight deck in the Navy.
    So, no, I don't wear them. My ears ring all the time anyway....

You are still doing damage to your hearing even if they are already ringing.

I have two distinct ringing in my ears - a riiinnnnggg and a hummmmm. It gets real bad when I'm trying to sleep..

Top Bottom