• ...and so much more!
  • Reaper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Fishers, IN
    What are you using and why?

What would you buy other than what you have...if you only knew then what you know now???

I need hearing so your input is appreciated

Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Whatever you do, wear it!

Back in the 70s I would shoot my .357 without protection. One day it went POW and my left ear went silent and began to ring. Most of my hearing came back except at around 4000Hz. In absolute silence I can still hear the ringing.

I prefer muffs.
    Haven't tried a pair of fancy electronic suppressor type yet but would like to.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Many years ago I started out wearing non-electronic ear muffs for .357 and .44 type shooting. When elecronic ear muffs started hitting the market place I purchased Peltor T7s and was very pleased with their quality. Last year I upgraded to Sordin Supreme Pro IVs. When shooting in enclosed areas I use foam ear plugs under the Sordins. From all the units I have tried I like the Sordin Supreme Pro IV the best due to fit, sound quality, volume control location, and comfort.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I found these to be the best and most comfortable in the 25 years of being a powerhouse operator. Leightning,not sure of model number,but there muffs.

762Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    I wear the big, black L3 muffs that a lot of folks have. They can make cheek weld difficult on some rifles, but I like having the ability to put them on and off really easily. The foam plugs aren't all that bad, but I hate when you take them out and then want to put them back in but have gun powder/oil/brass/lead/etc crap on your hands. You either have to just leave them in, or stop and wash your hands. I don't really want the gun residues in my ear.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I mainly use foam ear plugs (I have about 1K ... little mishap with the mouse clicking). I use ear muffs when other shooters are on the firing line. Foam ear plugs won't dissipate the concussive force of the muzzle blast.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Surefire EP-4 passive plugs. Worth their weight in gold (which isn't much at $14 per pair. I've used them in every situation (indoor with rifles, outdoors, etc.) and have yet to get the "foggy concert" problem from noises which are too loud after shooting. My ears never ring and they are comfortable for all day shooting. I've put them against expensive peltors and find they work just fine. I can hear normal conversation voices in between shots. Honestly my biggest complaint about the muffs is my ears and head get hot and sweaty after a long time shooting. Less comfort means less enjoyment.

If you plug them up they work like normal earplugs and have a limit. If you open them they will block out noise up to 80dB. They work great.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I usually just wear the remington muffs.I pretty much have an unlimited supply of the foam earplugs i can get from work and i sometimes use those.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Surefire EP-4 passive plugs. Worth their weight in gold (which isn't much at $14 per pair. I've used them in every situation (indoor with rifles, outdoors, etc.) and have yet to get the "foggy concert" problem from noises which are too loud after shooting. My ears never ring and they are comfortable for all day shooting. I've put them against expensive peltors and find they work just fine. I can hear normal conversation voices in between shots. Honestly my biggest complaint about the muffs is my ears and head get hot and sweaty after a long time shooting. Less comfort means less enjoyment.

If you plug them up they work like normal earplugs and have a limit. If you open them they will block out noise up to 80dB. They work great.

+1 for the surefire plugs. I love mine, and my wife loves hers too. I have never tried them indoors, but i don't doubt that they would be fine. I also would like to get a pair of the electronic ones for the winter to keep my ears warm :)

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    +1 on Surefire EP-4 passive plugs. Wife and I both wear them.

I have electronic muffs, pro ears I believe. They work better than the peltors I had, they cut out less conversation.

BUT any muff type is HOT. D*#M HOT! HOT ENOUGH TO COOK THINGS! (callback to Good Morning Vietnam) And my tiny brain cant handle much more cooking.

So I only wear muffs in the cold. SUmmer time its all surefire plugs, unless we are shooting in a hall or tunnel with comps, then I break out the muffs again.

Someday I hope to try the fancy electronic plugs that cost hundreds as they seem like they would be great. Not sure why I dont see more of them. Just cost or they suck?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What are you using and why?

I have been using Radians Pro-Amps for the past several years. They are mid-to-low priced electronic muffs. I like them because they are relatively inexpensive, and have battery access on the outside of the muffs.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-review_radians_proamp_electronic_earpro.html

What would you buy other than what you have...if you only knew then what you know now???

So far the Radians have held up ok. The thin cover on the headband is starting to rip on one side. The electronics are still working fine.

Once I feel like I need to upgrade, I'll probably look at some higher quality electronic muffs, like Sordins.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I have the peltor tac sports and so far i love them. i bought them mainly for competition/uspsa type stuff. I used the push in type earplug before and after a while they hurt your ears. I can hear conversation and there is an adjustable volume if you need it louder. So far shooting with them is a pleasure i don't even notice the noise of the shot or an echo. I will be able to tell you more the first time i go to a competion...

Fireaxes

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2010
    Wabash County
    Surefires are the best plugs I've ever used. I have two sets of good electronic muffs and I have not even been using them lately. You can get 4-5 sets of the Surefire plugs for the same price as 1 pair of muffs. That way you can stash a set in all your gun bags and vehicles.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    My favorite are the Pro Ears Pro Tac Slim Gold. They are lighter slimmer and more comfortable than the larger cups. Of all the electronic muffs I have had these have the bast sound quality.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, stay away from the Peltor 6S muffs. I had a pair, replaced under warranty twice, and the 3rd pair failed just outside of the warranty. Now I use my $65 electronic ear-muffs just like any other pair of non-electronics.

Top Bottom