• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Wow. Reps to those kids for saving the baby.

And for us, may this be a lesson in not walking away from your car, especially while it's running, especially with a child within, and in situational awareness.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    How about that! Two parents fighting to save their child. Makes me think there is something to be said for the traditional family.

Beautiful!!

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If the parents hadn't left the child in the vehicle while the vehicle was running, this would not have happened. They have only themselves to blame.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If the parents hadn't left the child in the vehicle while the vehicle was running, this would not have happened. They have only themselves to blame.

While a true point, but take a closer look at this situation and observe parents fending off evil for their child

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    so who hasn't started the car with the kid's in it & moved a few feet away. let's just say transferring kid's to other relatives & rather then leaving them in the cold to move the rest of the stuff you start the car & then finish transferring stuff. I would say the parents were watching the car & child & not totally oblivious to the situation or the guy would have gotten away with the kid & the car.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield

Seriously??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

C'mon now, according to the news story they were standing right there talking with some family members, lets put the blame where it belongs....on the scumbag POS that tried to steal their car and baby...

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Seriously??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

C'mon now, according to the news story they were standing right there talking with some family members, lets put the blame where it belongs....on the scumbag POS that tried to steal their car and baby...

The video I saw they weren't even in the picture until the guy got into the car and started backing up, then they came running. I'm not saying the BG wasn't a POS, but you do not leave a small child in a car with it running.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I agree. It doesn't seem as if they were being negligent. He backed up and drove off so fast, they had to have been within 10 or so feet of the car. Granted, the parent's should have at least been facing the car, but I'm sure they didn't expect to be away from the car for more than a matter of a few seconds. This is mostly speculation because I wasn't there for sure, but I'm glad they were able to react quickly and keep that scumbag from driving off with their baby.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Nothing like blaming the victim. :rolleyes:

Whatever happened to placing the blame where it is due - with the BG?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The video I saw they weren't even in the picture until the guy got into the car and started backing up, then they came running. I'm not saying the BG wasn't a POS, but you do not leave a small child in a car with it running.

While your point is correct that their actions made the crime (carjacking) and the result (kidnapping) possible, I respectfully disagree with you that they have themselves to blame. It seems to me too similar to saying the girl who wears a short skirt and low-cut top has only herself to blame (because she was "asking for it") when some POS decides she's easy pickings to rape, and no, I can't go there.

Their actions were unwise, I fully agree, but had it been any average group of INGO members being the only bystanders in the area, they could have put the kid in the car seat, started the car, left all the windows down and the driver door wide open and gone inside for an hour or two and the most that would have happened to the car is that one of us might have gone to shut off the engine to save their gas.... although I think it a fair bet that at a minimum, one of us would have gone to wherever we'd seen them go to remind them, "HelLO! You left your baby in the car, you dillwads! Are you stoned or are you just stupid?" and possibly someone would have called a cop to get CPS involved. I feel safe in saying the car would not have been stolen nor the baby kidnapped.

The only person to blame is the criminal, IMHO.

Blessings,
    Bill

critter592

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    North Central, IN
    I don't think most people realise how little space and time it takes for criminals to do criminal ka ka (is that better sensor?). It's not that they don't care it's that they aren't in that world or mindset.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Wow. Reps to those kids for saving the baby.

And for us, may this be a lesson in not walking away from your car, especially while it's running, especially with a child within, and in situational awareness.

I must be paranoid because just today I turned my Suburban's engine off, removed the key, and then got out to walk around to the back cargo door and shut it again (inside warning light said it didn't shut all the way). My two sons were strapped inside. It's the same reason I lock the doors after I get out to pump gas, why I put my purse in the truck before I unload the groceries then pull it back out to climb into the driver's seat.

Yeah. All those sheeple who don't carry firearms are totally responsible for becoming victims and being easy targets.

:rolleyes:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I must be paranoid because just today I turned my Suburban's engine off, removed the key, and then got out to walk around to the back cargo door and shut it again (inside warning light said it didn't shut all the way). My two sons were strapped inside. It's the same reason I lock the doors after I get out to pump gas, why I put my purse in the truck before I unload the groceries then pull it back out to climb into the driver's seat.
    It is a sad world when you have to be so careful. My wife does something similar: get's out, locks the door, unlocks the back door, gets in, locks the door, unbuckles our infant, unlocks the door, gets out, and locks up again. She is SO paranoid about someone sneaking up behind her while she wrestles with the car seat's buckles.

I remember the "good 'ole days", when us kids would honk the horn for mom to hurry up in the store.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It is a sad world when you have to be so careful. My wife does something similar: get's out, locks the door, unlocks the back door, gets in, locks the door, unbuckles our infant, unlocks the door, gets out, and locks up again. She is SO paranoid about someone sneaking up behind her while she wrestles with the car seat's buckles.
    Situational awareness is tough to maintain when you're 60% inside a vehicle and nearly 90% attentive to the task of trying to insert/remove a squirming baby/toddler from a contraption with more belts and locks than the space shuttle.

My fear is maintained by the memory of an episode of America's Most Wanted where some dude (in Texas, IIRC) was targeting mothers of small children. After the mother would buckle the kid in and shut the door to get into the driver's seat, he would open the back door of the vehicle and hold a knife or gun to the child. I seem to remember that all his victims excepting one lucky family were murdered too. I've taken to locking the doors after buckling them in and then checking the vicinity around the Suburban before entering the driver's door. If anybody is even remotely close, I adjust behavior accordingly.

I remember the "good 'ole days", when us kids would honk the horn for mom to hurry up in the store.

Yep. I also remember being given the "privilege" of running in to purchase the gallon of milk we needed sans adult supervision. (And getting lots of change for the two $1 bills I handed to the cashier.)

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Yeah. All those sheeple who don't carry firearms are totally responsible for becoming victims and being easy targets.

:rolleyes:

No, it's usually because they live in a rainbow warm fuzzy world where there are no BG's and most of the time they put themselves in situations that could have been avoided with a little common sense.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I always check the area before putting my kids in the car. As others have pointed out, situational awareness is almost impossible while strapping a kid into a carseat. I still look over my shoulder a couple times. When I am done I always look around again. I don't lock the doors while walking around (never really thought about doing that) but I am diligent in scanning the area. I usually lock the doors before my butt is completely in the seat because I always feel that once I am in the car I can't see what is around nearly as easy.

As for blaming the parents, that is lame. I am about as paranoid as someone can be and even I have had to step 10' away from the car while it is running with a child in it. Typically when transferring multiple kids from one car to another. When I pick up my foster son from visitation, I always have to ask the DNA donor some questions, so I always put my son in the car with it running (it IS winter) and then stand a few feet away from the car to ask my questions. I think it would be very difficult for someone to sneak up, but definitely not impossible.

Top Bottom