• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I don't have access to NG, been thinking of swapping out my standard electric WH for a heat pump model.

I've read that the GE version has had issue's with no one around that can work on them, or issue's in getting parts.
    Some failing in a year or two, etc.

Anyone with experience on different brands reliability?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Do you have propane ? If so look into a Renni Tankless.

And before your buy a heat pump heater, make sure the square footage of the room its going in will be large enough for the heat pump to work correctly.
    I have a few friends that have them, they are happy with what they bought but, be prepared to maybe hear a humming noise in the background depending on where your heater is placed.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    They all have normal heating elements like a regular elec heater.
    They kick in when needed and when the heat pump has a problem and can't operate like it should.

At least the GE's that I have been around..

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Of the Rennai tankless heaters I've installed, EVERYONE, has been a maintenance nightmare. These were commercial apps, not residential though.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Not read anything encouraging about tankless long term use.

I own two renni's and both are the large units.. One NG and one Propane, the only maintainance I have had to do is once a year I backflush the heat exchanger.
    I installed the optional drain valves on the bottom to make flushing a easy process.
    I have had them both from 5 to 7 years now.. I like them for a few reasons, endless hot water easily at 120°.. When I'm not at that residents it doesent cost any money to run them..
    They work for me anyway.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Existing unit is a straight up electric unit. No heat pump. It is branded Kenmore, but was made by Rheem under the Marathon brand back then.
    It's 19 yrs old.

I'd be getting rid of that old thing myself..
    You must have pretty good water for a heater life that long..

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Do you have propane ? If so look into a Renni Tankless.

And before your buy a heat pump heater, make sure the square footage of the room its going in will be large enough for the heat pump to work correctly.
    I have a few friends that have them, they are happy with what they bought but, be prepared to maybe hear a humming noise in the background depending on where your heater is placed.

They all have normal heating elements like a regular elec heater.
    They kick in when needed and when the heat pump has a problem and can't operate like it should.

At least the GE's that I have been around..

I have an all electric house (even though we do have an unused wood burning fireplace...) as my wife was severely burned in a car accident as a child and has an aversion to flame. (Although she also likes to complain about it being cold in the house).

I have a GE, 80 gallon heat pump water heater that was purchased back in August. I only purchased it as I had an 80 gallon electric that was about 3 years old that started to leak and was covered under a Lowes extended warranty. Due to the apparent changes in laws around electric water heaters of that size, Lowes only stocked the heat pump units in that size, and only had the GE. Since we have a garden tub, and 2 teenage kids, a 50 gallon electric replacement of the 80 gallon unit we had was not going to cut it. I did not have time to do much research and given refunds/rebates, etc I went ahead and purchased the heat pump unit.

The labor for installation was covered by the replacement plan, and the entire purchase price of my previous water heater was refunded against the purchase price of the new unit. In addition to that I was able to get a $400 rebate from my electric coop, and I also was able to get a federal tax credit (refund) of $300.

I am somewhat concerned about the much more complicated design of the unit than a standard water heater, but I again purchased the extended warranty. Between the refunding of my original purchase price & labor, as well as the tax credits and rebates, I should do ok.

I'm running mine in hybrid mode which allows it to primarily run in heat pump mode, but I believe it switches to use the elements if needed in that mode. There are a couple of other modes.

So far, and it has not been installed very long, we like the unit. I have not been able to compare just the usage of electricity of the water heater, but my overall electric consumption seems to have come down quite a bit. I should be able to compare consumption a bit better when we get to more comparable temps in the spring/summer.

My GE GeoSpring water heater is in my unfinished basement and seems to do well down there. I do however have a couple of ac/heat vents open down there, and leave the door to the basement open. If/when we finish the basement, it will be a consideration on how we wall off the utilities/mechanical area as like others have stated, you need some space for it to operate properly. Also, the water heater itself is quite a bit larger due to the addition of the heat pump unit.

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Just two of us, with rare overnight guests. It will go in my attached 2 car garage that never gets below 55 in the winter.

They will suck the heat out of your garage or room, and may not stay 55 degrees then.

The Rheem units I have installed work good, but have tripped out in the cold weather. But automatilly have switched to straight electric.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Existing unit is a straight up electric unit. No heat pump. It is branded Kenmore, but was made by Rheem under the Marathon brand back then.
    It's 19 yrs old.

Pffft. Barely broken in. My Dad traded a refrigerator for a used water heater when they moved into their present home....in 1962. Still using it.

Those of use who use gas water heaters can't understand this longevity, but if you have good water, electrics can last a long, long time.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I was referring to the heat pump.

Sorry cm, I'm dense, are you referring to how long the heatpump water heaters have been on the market?
    6-8 years. GE's Geospring model is in it's 5th or 6th generation. It has the highest efficiency rating.

Or how long before folks have issue's with them? Anywhere from 6 months to 5-6 years.

Or are you referring to the age of the HVAC heatpump? 21 years.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Pffft. Barely broken in. My Dad traded a refrigerator for a used water heater when they moved into their present home....in 1962. Still using it.

Those of use who use gas water heaters can't understand this longevity, but if you have good water, electrics can last a long, long time.

My current w/heater has a resin tank. No metal. So theoretically it could out last me.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom