vGdg9.gif

cool_story_bro.gif

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have noticed latley that my better half has been advertising to random friends and family that I have been buying guns and that I carry one.

(examples):

1) last weekend her parents were in from out of town and stayed at our place. We were watching American guns as we all socialized and cought up. And in conversation about the guns on TV she let's it be known that I carry a gun. Not a big deal because they don't really care but I don't want it advertised that I carry.

2) last night a friend of hers was over dropping of a couple purses for my other half to look at and maybe buy. And I commented that I wanted one of them being sarcastic and she bluffs out " if you can buy a bunch of guns then I can buy purses".

So after her freind left I told her that I would appreciate it if she would not advertise that I have a collection of guns and that I carry one. And that I just didn't want the wrong ears to hear and draw unwanted attenion to our house or to me.

She got pretty upset with me about the situation. Was I wrong to ask her not to advertise, or am I just to paranoid? I am not sure weather to feel bad about it because I was pretty sturn about it or not. I feel that my guns are my business and if I wanted someone to know about them I would tell them.

What do you guys think? Anyone go through something similar?
    Well, I am pretty open to people within our family about my gun ownership, but I try to keep a low profile around most others. Except for my sister and her husband, my brothers and I all own guns and shoot quite often so I am not too worried about them blabbing. I would not like my family to go around telling everyone that I have a guncollection. Nobody elses business.

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    My wife don't want nobody to know what I have because if you tell one person then they tell ten others before you know it the whole town know's about your business. You did the right thing keep it between the family.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You are SO sleeping on the couch.

And after several months of her giving you the silent treatment over the whole thing, when she asks you how you feel about her 9 weeks of the cold shoulder treatment, don't respond with "It's been kinda nice actually!" That'll just **** her off more but she'll start talking to you again. Why ruin a good thing right?

(The above opinion is based on actual facts, man I wish I had told her it was ripping my guts out, she might have never spoken to me again).:rockwoot:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Nope not married, just SO. Its a mutual agreement that it has worked as is for 11 years so why change it now. And I spend money on her too. This summer I bought her a platinum/ diamond ring with some cash that I had been saving for my next toy purchase.

And to the guy that thinks he has my location, yea your so smart, you think I would post my actual info in my profile? Come on. I live nowhere near a highschool, or a park. Lol.

I just let the Other half read all of the above and she found most of it amusing. She said that she wants to start her own user I'd and join the fun on ingo.
    This was MY thought, when I posted B4, let this thread run, and then let her read it, and see if she LOL'd... she did ... I hope all is well.... I tried to REP you, for this, but I am OUT, till tomorrow ...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    billyboyr6, something your better half needs to realize is that when she talks about firearms in your home, the people she tells will likely tell others in the course of their conversations.

Eventually it'll be common knowledge with people you don't directly know that you have firearms, and your home could be a prime potential spot for break-ins.

Make sure your better half knows that she's endangering the security of your home with her loose talk.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I have noticed latley that my better half has been advertising to random friends and family that I have been buying guns and that I carry one.

(examples):

1) last weekend her parents were in from out of town and stayed at our place. We were watching American guns as we all socialized and cought up. And in conversation about the guns on TV she let's it be known that I carry a gun. Not a big deal because they don't really care but I don't want it advertised that I carry.

2) last night a friend of hers was over dropping of a couple purses for my other half to look at and maybe buy. And I commented that I wanted one of them being sarcastic and she bluffs out " if you can buy a bunch of guns then I can buy purses".

So after her freind left I told her that I would appreciate it if she would not advertise that I have a collection of guns and that I carry one. And that I just didn't want the wrong ears to hear and draw unwanted attenion to our house or to me.

She got pretty upset with me about the situation. Was I wrong to ask her not to advertise, or am I just to paranoid? I am not sure weather to feel bad about it because I was pretty sturn about it or not. I feel that my guns are my business and if I wanted someone to know about them I would tell them.

What do you guys think? Anyone go through something similar?

I've never gone through anything like that. For what it's worth....you're right.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Sounds like someone is butthurt. You're no different than all the occupy people if thats your opinion.
    No, my list points to some people the OP may know and respect who are exposed to a wide clientele, wealth and may tell stories to those clients. A recent major court case in my area revolves around 3 doctors dealing drugs. A certain east coast group run by a former governor just seemed to misplace 1 billion dollars.

People who have wealth and then lose it sometimes do desperate things. The Finance center in Indy does not like people who have bankruptcies in their past.

If a CPA cheats/breaks the law don't assume you can trust them. I love my CPA and Attorney but they are both ethical, gun owners and hunters who I know well. I still don't tell them everything.

The obvious ones are Cops, Teachers, Bankers, Neighbors and Coworkers.

Customers, if you are a bar or restaurant owner, where people linger for hours not minutes and TALK. They see when you are at work, know you have wealth and know you work odd hours. If everyone in the family works at the business......................ask me how I know this one. My Uncle had a collection of guns in a locked safe room, then one day he didn't.

Everyone in this thread is just one person away from some serious sh**. Not two, three or four, just one. Like degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Profiling may be unsavory when race based, but if you don't "profile" the people in your life based on the facts you know and observe you are in denial.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    SO. Its a mutual agreement that it has worked as is for 11 years so why change it now.

I bought her a platinum/ diamond ring

I just let the Other half read all of the above and she found most of it amusing. She said that she wants to start her own user I'd and join the fun on ingo.
    All good!

Next week my SO of 7 years will get to do her own AR lower build. She has been shooting since we were a couple months into the relationship and early on she joined some of the web sites I was on. I think that helped. She no longer is active on them but it helped back then. I also introduced her to other shooters outside of my family. She owns guns these days and it includes handguns, PCR's, carbines, and shotguns. Only one was a gift from me.

Honestly, it took years to really drive home the finer points of loose lips sink ships. I think ownership of a handgun and having a permit helped her internalize it.

I would give her examples and then wait for more in the news or to even pop up among our friends and family to occur and then point it out to her.

You told Mr. A about our guns and he smokes pot, who does he buy it from? Who does he owe money? Did you hear what Mr. B said at the party after he got drunk. Did you know his freind who came with him to the party did time for dealing cocaine.

Paranoia is not natural for most people, it is learned. We can help!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Oh Yes - I have Soooooo been there.

When mine acted up - I just traded it in for a Quieter Model. I couldn't be happier now. :)

I HATE when they start thinking for themselves! There's just no stopping them after that.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    No, my list points to some people the OP may know and respect who are exposed to a wide clientele, wealth and may tell stories to those clients. A recent major court case in my area revolves around 3 doctors dealing drugs. A certain east coast group run by a former governor just seemed to misplace 1 billion dollars.

People who have wealth and then lose it sometimes do desperate things. The Finance center in Indy does not like people who have bankruptcies in their past.

If a CPA cheats/breaks the law don't assume you can trust them. I love my CPA and Attorney but they are both ethical, gun owners and hunters who I know well. I still don't tell them everything.

The obvious ones are Cops, Teachers, Bankers, Neighbors and Coworkers.

Customers, if you are a bar or restaurant owner, where people linger for hours not minutes and TALK. They see when you are at work, know you have wealth and know you work odd hours. If everyone in the family works at the business......................ask me how I know this one. My Uncle had a collection of guns in a locked safe room, then one day he didn't.

Everyone in this thread is just one person away from some serious sh**. Not two, three or four, just one. Like degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Profiling may be unsavory when race based, but if you don't "profile" the people in your life based on the facts you know and observe you are in denial.

I dont have a problem with "profiling" as far as defending the ways these people could potentially screw you... but the way you worded that (and this last post) tells me you think ALL are that way. (Im in finance).

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Guns

Guns can be a liability, we love em, and want to own them all, but we have to be descete about them. Thieves will break into our homes if they know we have them. Criminals will commit crimes if they know we are not carrying, many great things about gun ownership, publicity might not be one of them.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Guns can be a liability, we love em, and want to own them all, but we have to be descete about them. Thieves will break into our homes if they know we have them. Criminals will commit crimes if they know we are not carrying, many great things about gun ownership, publicity might not be one of them.

Oh god... prepare for OC vs CC.

colbertlolz.gif

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Dude, you need to explain to her that you don't want the "friend of a friend" who happens to be a douchebag to come looking for your guns while you're at work. Especially if she's home alone. And explain in BRIEF detail how incredibly sorry you are that you failed to communicate your concerns for the sanctity of your home, AND her safety, clearly. Then, NO MATTER WHAT SHE SAYS, keep your big mouth shut, except to throw out the occasional "i'm sorry". At a later date, buy her a .22. Then slowly get her shooting. As stated above, once she begins to get it, your problems will solve themselves.

Top Bottom