• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Took a day off this week to refresh/recharge. Went for a ruck with WETSU. My goal was to put on some miles and test a heated shelter idea I saw on youtube. Basically you drive some stakes into the ground in a U shape and drape the U with fiberglass welders cloth. Then you make a mantle with a few more stakes draped as well and clip your tarp to the mantle and sides. The fire vents outside but gives you access on the inside. Smoke vents out radiant heat in.

Big fail on me I brought the wrong piece of diy sinylon. So I basically had a lean to. That being said I would call the test successful and worthy of testing again with my larger tarp. Stepping outside of the tarp in 22 deg weather I got chilled pretty quickly.

Also, I hooked my ADS-SR1 simplex repeater and tested this with WETSU. It connects to an HT which I had plugged into my trucks antenna and small 35w amp. My truck was parked on high ground and rucking was from high to low river bottoms. Contacts were received that would normally be out of range of the HT I had on my pack.

[video=youtube_share;vNpHqfJVxrE]http://youtu.be/vNpHqfJVxrE[/video]

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Seems like a sound idea. I'd be curious to see if you could sew the welder's cloth into the shape it needs to be in, and then just put that over your stakes.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    One 2x4 piece draped for the U and one 2x2 for the mantle. One thing I found out is the it frays like crazy. I have since taped up the ends and will keep them to the outside.

6x4 blanket was about 20 bucks at harbor freight enough for 2.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    Thanks for the video Sailor. You should do more.

With that tarp, I probably would've bunched some leaves up around the edges and put a couple of large branches or rocks to hold them down. And maybe a large downed log laying parallel to the open side of the tarp (where the camera was basically).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I haven't had a chance to look at the video yet, so this question might have already been answered, but does a Carbon Monoxide danger exist with this type of shelter?

Top Bottom